Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Plans for the winter of 1943

Операция "Ой морозь морозь" - Maintain a high operational tempo through the winter, attacking weak points as able
- 6 (60%)
Операция "Не морозь меня" - Slow things down, making a few major and considered attacks without wasting strength
- 4 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 37

Author Topic: Arsenal of Democracy LP (1 October, 1944: Vperyod!)  (Read 95134 times)

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
Re: Arsenal of Democracy LP (January 1940: The Winter War)
« Reply #180 on: April 20, 2011, 10:23:35 pm »

I was thrown off by that not resembling any German flag I've ever seen.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 20, 2011, 10:28:15 pm »

I believe it is the modern German flag.

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #182 on: April 20, 2011, 11:02:06 pm »

The modern flag is black, red, and gold.

The red, white, and black tricolor was the national flag of the German Empire from 1871 until the end of World War I, and was used (in various forms with and without the imperial eagle) from ~1930-1935 by various parts of the Third Reich. It was the national flag of that state from 1933-1935.

Paradox has a lot of appeal in Germany, I understand, and even though it's a fairly simple switch to go to and from the flag with the swastika, they'd rather not go through the trouble, and so they just use the slightly anachronistic flag.

IHateOutside

• Bay Watcher
  • Fire safety is for wimps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 21, 2011, 04:46:48 am »

The red, white, and black tricolor was the national flag of the German Empire from 1871 until the end of World War I, and was used (in various forms with and without the imperial eagle) from ~1930-1935 by various parts of the Third Reich. It was the national flag of that state from 1933-1935.

Paradox has a lot of appeal in Germany, I understand, and even though it's a fairly simple switch to go to and from the flag with the swastika, they'd rather not go through the trouble, and so they just use the slightly anachronistic flag.

The Swastika is banned in Germany (though there are exceptions for historical and artistic purposes, though whether video games count is another question) so Paradox removed it from the game to reduce complications. Though IIRC the original Hearts of Iron games German localisation had Hitler called Adolf Hiller.  ::)

Hyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 21, 2011, 07:34:56 am »

Which leads to intentional historical inaccuracy rather than anything about bypassing laws. >.>

But yeah, nice Winter War, although it actually took to the New Year, :D

Do you have any plans for embarking on a Norwegian / Danish campaign to unite the rest of Scandinavia (except bloody Swedes) under the Soviet fold? It would be fun to do so, and laugh at Hitler as we break out so-called "Pact".

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 22, 2011, 12:08:28 am »

The Swastika is banned in Germany (though there are exceptions for historical and artistic purposes, though whether video games count is another question) so Paradox removed it from the game to reduce complications. Though IIRC the original Hearts of Iron games German localisation had Hitler called Adolf Hiller.  ::)

Seriously, instead of changing the spelling of the last name, so that some fifth grader fails his history exam because he didn't know Paradox actually changed the name, why not just make a totally fake last name?

What's wrong with Adolf Butthole?   ;D

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #186 on: April 22, 2011, 03:24:25 am »

This LP made me buy the game. All will become one with Mother Russia!

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #187 on: April 22, 2011, 10:30:26 am »

Welcome to the club. May your conquests be easy. :P

May I ask what your avatar is?

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #188 on: April 22, 2011, 01:36:46 pm »

Being pre-dating the gods forced into an immortal shell by the gods. Is understandably grouchy about it. Stole it from a long dead webcomic. Any suggestions for a first run?

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #189 on: April 22, 2011, 01:45:20 pm »

My first one was Canada. Before you laugh, realize that Canada can put 20-30 divisions with some air support in France by 1940 with good play, and that can make the war in Europe a lot less German-dominated. The US is an obvious one, if a little more difficult--you'll have to manage the Pacific and handle a lot of naval combat, and eventually start helping out in Europe, too. The USSR is easy and the experience is focused--it's mostly land combat--but your organization recovery is significantly slower than your opponents' for a good part of the early game (be glad it's just that, though; in the version I'm playing my troops are actually less effective man for man).

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #190 on: April 22, 2011, 02:43:34 pm »

Canada, eh? (c wat i did that)

Srsly, though, I'll give them a shot. Assuming my HDD doesn't die on me anytime soon.

Hyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 22, 2011, 02:46:46 pm »

Mm, which version are you playing again, Fishbreath?

Also, I recommend Germany myself, because it's the most straightforward, leads you along through events, you know what you're supposed to do - since like, everyone knows what they did during WWII so you have some sort of guide there, and while mostly land-oriented, it also lets you learn basics of naval combat too; for the Battle of the Atlantic and the Mediterranean and Operation Sealion, to eventually conquering North America and beyond.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #192 on: April 22, 2011, 02:49:41 pm »

everyone knows what they did during WWII
Uh... yeah. Sure. I have the absolute basics, i.e. they invaded Poland at some point, failed to invade the USSR, lost the war. Aside from that, my knowledge of WWII history is fairly scanty.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 22, 2011, 04:30:38 pm »

Also, be smart with Germany. Don't be like Hitler in Barbarossa and be "WE MUST HAVE STALINGRAD AGAGSHGFHS"
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 22, 2011, 07:17:06 pm »

I always liked to play small, mostly unimportant countries, take my time developing everything then feel great when i take two provinces near the end of the game X)
But i do remember one time when i was playing is Ireland that some German paratroopers landed in the north taking two provinces, and i had nothing to take them back with, was scared shitless for a while before i hastily got some units together and drove the buggers out :D
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 37