Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Plans for the winter of 1943

Операция "Ой морозь морозь" - Maintain a high operational tempo through the winter, attacking weak points as able
- 6 (60%)
Операция "Не морозь меня" - Slow things down, making a few major and considered attacks without wasting strength
- 4 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 37

Author Topic: Arsenal of Democracy LP (1 October, 1944: Vperyod!)  (Read 95095 times)

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
Re: Arsenal of Democracy LP (24 June, 1943: Slugging Match: Round 1)
« Reply #405 on: December 12, 2011, 08:10:00 pm »

What we need Is a massive swarm attack all along the germans weakest area. Just push as far as possible and fortify the areas we capture. Rinse and repeat. Rocket artillery will help alot being cheap and effective. As well we can use the IC we saved to build tanks and reinforce our main attack units with maybe a little left over to add to our forces in turkey.

FTFY

Sounds like a decent plan to me.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: December 12, 2011, 09:02:47 pm »

I disagree, IC spent on fortifying would be better spend on upgrading my tanks, mobile fortresses unto themselves once upgraded!

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #407 on: December 13, 2011, 09:00:47 am »

The Russian word for '(tank) turret' (башня) was first used in the sense of 'fortified tower', just like 'turret' in English.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: December 13, 2011, 04:06:01 pm »

I still vote for destroying the Balkans. The only way to know if they will surrender is to invade them. For !!SCIENCE!!.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: December 13, 2011, 04:10:17 pm »

Just be gentle with my hometown :P
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: December 13, 2011, 06:26:18 pm »

Don't worry We'll leave a few farm house standing besides if we fortify our captured areas we can build more tanks and make newer types.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: December 14, 2011, 07:18:14 am »

Also how are we standing with our airforces?
If we have some strats we could speed up the german starvation by further harrassing their supply lines (or was it tacs that did this?).
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #412 on: December 14, 2011, 08:35:07 am »

We have 24 wings of interceptors and 20 of tactical bombers (or possibly vice versa), compared to a total of about thirty wings for the Luftwaffe. Tactical bombers and strategic bombers both can fly the logistical strike mission (which reduces infrastructure and thereby hurts supply efficiency), but I think strategic bombers are more effective. Tactical bombers are best at the Interdiction mission, which reduces enemy organization (necessary when our Russian troops generally have ~60 against the Germans with >100) and does a small amount of strength damage.

It's a moot point right now anyway, since most of our tactical bomber wings are being reinforced at the moment. We've lost rather a lot of them. On top of that, our next air force builds will probably end up being naval bombers and standard fighters (which have longer range than our interceptor wings). We'll need those to secure the seas around a province in the Far East where we can deploy our fleet-under-construction for the island-hopping campaign.

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #413 on: December 19, 2011, 08:41:02 am »

I should be posting an update after work tonight. Major actions in both Turkey and the northern part of the front! Also, a little teaser for the next major Fishbreath's A Grognard LP/AAR, even if it's probably going to be another year or two before this one's done:

Spoiler: Teaser (click to show/hide)

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #414 on: December 19, 2011, 07:54:02 pm »

Spoiler: 18 July, 1943 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Unit updates (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Losses charts (click to show/hide)

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Arsenal of Democracy LP (24 June, 1943: A Victory and a 'Victory')
« Reply #415 on: December 19, 2011, 11:23:31 pm »

My god you seem to purposely leave me out, I want to attack!
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #416 on: December 20, 2011, 09:47:23 am »

It's not that I'm leaving you out on purpose so much as I don't often consider which commanders are involved in a fight beyond the one who's leading it.

Which, I've just discovered, is not something I need to worry about (barring concerns about racking up a good mouseover history for my top commanders). Here's how the command system works (roughly from bottom to top):

1. A formation (that is, one counter on the map) gets the combat bonuses for leader skill and leader traits from its leader.
2. Any units over a leader's command limit (1 for a Mj. General, 3 for a Lt. General, 9 for a General, and 12 for a Field Marshal) do not receive those combat bonuses, and in addition receives a -75% overstacking penalty.
3. A headquarters division (provided it's commanded by a General or Field Marshal) in an adjacent province will double the number of units a commander can lead before they begin to receive the overstacking penalty (and also increase the unit's Effective Supply Efficiency). The headquarters division will not double the number of units a commander can transfer his skill and trait bonuses to!
4. Each stack is handled individually on defense for the purposes of stacking limit-- it's the sum of every commander's limit in the province.
5. On the attack, the stacking limit is the sum of the HQ-modified command limits (1/2, 3/6, 9/18, 12/24) from the highest-ranking commander in each province the attack is coming from. The largest possible attack without command penalties from one province is therefore 24.
6. The commander shown to be 'in overall command' of the attack or the defense has no effect on the battle outside his effects on his own formation.
7. The commander in charge of the HQ division has no effect on the battle outside his own formation.

So, since I prefer to have my HQs detached from armies for better striking power, my best move is rather paradoxically to put my worst generals/field marshals in command of my HQ divisions, saving my best commanders for leading actual combat corps.

I just noticed that this thread is now OVER 9000 views. Thanks for reading so far! I'm glad there was enough interest to get me to pick this back up, and to keep me going. I'm certainly enjoying AoD on a much deeper level than I ever had prior to the start of this AAR, particularly in how I feel bound to care for and nurture my commanders, and to understand in depth how all the mechanics fit together. There's certainly more depth to it than even I'd given it credit for.

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #417 on: December 25, 2011, 08:12:28 pm »

Merry Christmas!

Spoiler: 27 August, 1943 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Unit updates (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Losses charts (click to show/hide)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Arsenal of Democracy LP (27 August, 1943: The Salvation of Kiev)
« Reply #418 on: December 26, 2011, 03:37:11 pm »

Why didn't you circle Zithomir? Also, what about the attacks in the Balkans?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
Re: Arsenal of Democracy LP (27 August, 1943: The Salvation of Kiev)
« Reply #419 on: December 26, 2011, 04:01:10 pm »

My understanding is that this was for the Ukraine, so it's sort of in the way of attacking the Balkans.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 37