Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Plans for the winter of 1943

Операция "Ой морозь морозь" - Maintain a high operational tempo through the winter, attacking weak points as able
- 6 (60%)
Операция "Не морозь меня" - Slow things down, making a few major and considered attacks without wasting strength
- 4 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 37

Author Topic: Arsenal of Democracy LP (1 October, 1944: Vperyod!)  (Read 95096 times)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arsenal of Democracy LP
« Reply #105 on: March 06, 2011, 11:23:27 am »

HOI3 isn't that bad geez...
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #106 on: March 06, 2011, 11:42:31 am »

It's my understanding that HoI3 has improved in a lot of ways since release. There are two things they do that I really, really wish they'd done in HoI2-based games. First off, there's the build-your-own division thing. I love the idea of being able to make lighter divisions, or make small divisions that are very well equipped. Second, the way they do aircraft carriers: rather than a CAG basically being big guns (and therefore useless for anything besides naval combat, the two missions they have--attacking ports and airfields--and direct support of attacks), it's actually aircraft in the same way that land-based aircraft are. I guess there might be the issue of micromanagement there, but I still prefer that system.

Another update!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 06, 2011, 11:46:33 am »

Secure the entire coast, it should help with the supplies

Hyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 06, 2011, 11:59:53 am »

How are your production sliders? Is it not possible to increase production of supplies?

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 06, 2011, 12:02:25 pm »

I agree with Taricus, get a better hold on the coastline, wait for some time to get your supplies back then a major push inland, then fortify again and repeat untill you reach the oher side :)
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #110 on: March 06, 2011, 12:14:31 pm »

I could take some out of upgrades, but it wouldn't be much. The problem is that 30 days of offensive for three tank divisions costs about 2000 supplies, and we've done eight or nine offensives since landing. We just can't produce supplies that fast.

I do think I'm going to agree with you guys and not invade the far side yet. I have a lot of the Indochinese army on this side of the country on the retreat; all told we defeated 18 divisions at Mandalay as they trickled in; I may as well press my advantage until they can stop me.

IHateOutside

• Bay Watcher
  • Fire safety is for wimps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 06, 2011, 02:13:01 pm »

The Abyss scenario looks cool, but I have a problem with resources. The ai likes to accept a trade and cancel it the next day. Meaning I can't trade for the resources I lack. And the build ai basically spams units nonstop. Every bit of IC needs to go to troops to keep up.

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #112 on: March 06, 2011, 09:22:21 pm »

Yeah, the AI in the Abyss isn't as good (= well-scripted) as the standard grand campaign.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 07, 2011, 01:38:20 am »

So you now have the whole of Northwestern Indochina secure and occupied, right? Do you own Malaysia as well? It could be a good idea to attempt a landing in the Malay Peninsula and create another pocket in Singapore.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #114 on: March 07, 2011, 12:59:06 pm »

Nope. Borneo is People's Republic of the Rising Sun territory. That's a war we may eventually start, but certainly not right now. Our invasions have, so far, been launched from Sumatra and Java.

The Malay Peninsula is an obvious target, and by its narrowness presents a great opportunity to land, rapidly encircle some Indochinese units, and eliminate them before rolling on up the peninsula to meet our original landing. The problem is that it's narrow and an obvious target: reconnaissance suggests that it's reasonably well-fortified, and it's small enough that they could reinforce against any landing before we make it ashore. The northeastern coast is the other option, but risks running into the same problem we did in the northwest: the Indochinese can use their numbers to make it uncomfortable for us to push forward. We've lost about ten divisions' worth of manpower all told, and that's going to take a while to reinforce at our current manpower production, and more adventures where six divisions have to hold out against twenty are not going to do us much good in the long run. :P

On a slightly different note, what should we do with Indochina in the long run? Once we finish with the takeover, we'll be able to annex it or release it as (possibly a collection of) puppet states. There are benefits and drawbacks here: puppets get to use all of their industrial capacity, while annexed territory only gives you 20% of what it ought to give. There are also partisan issues with annexed territory. On the other hand, you get to control exactly how that manpower and IC is used. Puppet states get full benefit from their territory and no partisans, but you don't get any say in their production or research. There's a diplomatic option to assume military control; I haven't done that yet with the USNA because I feel like it'd be very close to cheating. <.<

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 07, 2011, 01:00:59 pm »

Puppet

Hyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 07, 2011, 05:42:52 pm »

Is there a coring system like EU3 in which provinces held for a period of time become national provinces?

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #117 on: March 07, 2011, 06:34:47 pm »

Unfortunately, no. The notion of gaining core provinces doesn't mesh all that well with ~30-year campaigns at the outside.

I do sort of wish there was a way to get claims (= core) on territory without events, maybe based around belligerence and relationship, but it would be entirely too easy to abuse that.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 08, 2011, 12:42:08 am »

Puppet, I'm sure you can find more use for the random 100% units and research, than the directed 20%.

80% reduction is harsh....

Tell us more about the military control option!  How exactly is it cheating?

Hyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 08, 2011, 08:11:14 am »

You basically get to control their units. But it isn't something *that* great, but if he was to take Military Control of the USNA... Now *that*'d be cheating, since he could simply get all the USNA troops out in to the Pacific to stage an invasion on the Republic of the Rising Sun and China, which would be pretty much steamrolling through the game.

Also, I still prefer Annexation, because puppets tend to be dragged down behind research, a lot. 10 years into the future, and you'll be finding your puppets more or less useless and wishing you had annexed them. Annex them, get around 5 divisions in Indochina for partisan duty, and enjoy the extra IC.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 08:12:59 am by Hyo »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 37