Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Clay Furniture  (Read 6931 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Clay Furniture
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2011, 06:57:33 pm »

A brick cabinet as a hollow single brick that stores a whole wardrobe would be something I'd really like to see.  It also amuses me that someone would actually bake a brick, then take the time to carve it hollow.

Anyway, since you make brick walls, I assume that "brick whatever" means that it's made of more than just one brick.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2011, 11:11:01 pm »

If I make a full sized chair out of clay and post pics, will I win the argument about whether it's possible?

Just because you can mod something into the game, doesn't mean that it shouldn't be added into the game. I know that you didn't say that outright, but you sort of implied that you shouldn't waste your time in suggesting it here.
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2011, 12:32:32 am »

Only if you sit in the chair to prove it's sit-able.

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2011, 01:25:58 am »

If only I had access to a kiln...
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2011, 03:54:16 am »

Hmm, I've seen some pretty heavy earthenware jugs.  I'm pretty sure I could flip one over and sit on it, using it as a chair.  Does that count?  Basically, make an upside-down jug with a back on it and you've got a weird-looking chair that will go nicely with your lead tables and cinnabar mugs in some noble's quarters.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2011, 04:01:52 am »

This is pretty much exactly what I meant when I said "It's a clay brick on the floor".  It's not fancy, it may not be proper furniture by modern definitions, but it does the same job as furniture and is certainly possible.  After all, a "Cabinet" can be just a box, it doesn't have to have doors or legs or any of the other conventional appearance.  An Armor Stand is basically a cross shape from which armor is hung off of.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2011, 06:56:59 am »

Well a chair ist just chiselled out of block of wood (well most ones). So i guess one could make the different parts of the chair seperatly and then assemble the whole thing. You may need to reinforce the Clay thought, maybe with reeds or something. After that depending on size and thickness you could try to leave parts in the sun to dry naturally.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2011, 09:38:41 am »

"This is a masterwork brick that has been chisled hollow."

There is no such thing as being "uncommon" in this game.  There is no recognition that something is made ad-hoc out of improvised materials.  If we put in tables made of leather or chairs made of bone, then that means everyone in the entire world will be using goldfish bone chairs while putting their heavy materials on mouse leather tables. 

Sure, maybe you could fire a single solid lump of clay into a chair-like shape that wouldn't collapse under its own weight or crack during the firing process, although I have trouble believing you'd find a kiln large enough to do so, but that doesn't mean it should be as common as a wooden chair. 

In fact, I'm really going to have to stress the fact that the kiln is going to have to be huge, and you're going to need to use much more than just a single unit of fuel on this one.  The terracotta warriors were amazing for being such a massive set of earthenware works, and they pretty much leveled an entire forest to make those things.

I also don't see what you have against using bricks in masonry.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Demicus

• Bay Watcher
  • The formless enigma
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2011, 09:45:35 am »

Honestly, knowing DF dwarves, they would have no qualms about making kiln large enough to fire an entire even caravan. Would probably have to be magma powered too be economical though...
Also the thought of brick or full terracotta chairs sounds cool.
All shall embrace the unquenchable flame
Dwarf Fortress: The weak shall be culled, so the strong can have nicer socks.

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2011, 11:33:19 am »

Clay and Brick furniture could always just be artifact only to keep it from being common place but still there.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

The Phoenixian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2011, 05:12:59 pm »

Sure, maybe you could fire a single solid lump of clay into a chair-like shape that wouldn't collapse under its own weight or crack during the firing process, although I have trouble believing you'd find a kiln large enough to do so, but that doesn't mean it should be as common as a wooden chair.

In fact, I'm really going to have to stress the fact that the kiln is going to have to be huge, and you're going to need to use much more than just a single unit of fuel on this one.  The terracotta warriors were amazing for being such a massive set of earthenware works, and they pretty much leveled an entire forest to make those things.

1. I doubt one would make a stoneware or porcelain "chair" so much as a stool in an inverted drum shape. (Not sure about a true chair but stool is definitely possible)

2.To my knowledge, some kilns are less "oven" than "heated room" and most big reduction firing kilns I've seen (though it's a rather limited selection) have been closer in size to a fair sized closet than anything. There are some I know of that are larger. (The main example would be the Shoji Hamada kiln.)
Conversely, I'm not sure how many pieces of furniture you could fit inside (for the larger pieces, maybe one or two a firing.) and your tables and cabinets would probably have to be a little on the small side. (or assembled outside the kiln.)

3. That's quite likely. Of course, a bigger kiln should also hold much more regular material when it's fired.

[Despite my arguments please take this with a grain of salt, I'm only a student of ceramics. Not an authority.]

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2011, 05:38:32 pm »

Seats made out of porcelain don't use the 'chair' descriptor.  It's a form of stone, so technically it's a throne.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2011, 06:17:00 pm »

Anyone who has an actual chair made out of porcelain may as well call it a throne, because it would probably be costly enough to buy a small kingdom with it.  Porcelain was extremely rare and expensive in ancient times, pretty much only coming from China, as only they had the engineering skill to make the sorts of kilns porcelain required (required an air pump to get enough oxygen into the furnace to have the fires burn hot enough... magma is actually not hot enough to fire porcelain, it's a couple hundred degrees too cold, which was part of why I had that mechanical furnace as part of the suggestion I made with porcelain way back), and even then, the kaoline for making it is rare, and it takes entire forests of wood to heat the kilns.

Basically, making porcelain and stoneware is way too easy right now.  You could magma-bake earthware just fine, but you need more serious equipment for porcelain, at least.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2011, 06:39:16 pm »

Anyone who has an actual chair made out of porcelain may as well call it a throne, because it would probably be costly enough to buy a small kingdom with it.  Porcelain was extremely rare and expensive in ancient times, pretty much only coming from China, as only they had the engineering skill to make the sorts of kilns porcelain required (required an air pump to get enough oxygen into the furnace to have the fires burn hot enough... magma is actually not hot enough to fire porcelain, it's a couple hundred degrees too cold, which was part of why I had that mechanical furnace as part of the suggestion I made with porcelain way back), and even then, the kaoline for making it is rare, and it takes entire forests of wood to heat the kilns.

Basically, making porcelain and stoneware is way too easy right now.  You could magma-bake earthware just fine, but you need more serious equipment for porcelain, at least.

1:  Porcelain throne... get it?  Porcelain throne?

2:  Simple porcelain seems like an ok dwarf trait, kinda like the steel of earthenware...

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2011, 06:43:50 pm »

1:  Porcelain throne... get it?  Porcelain throne?

... apparently, my pun detector needs to go in for repair.   :-\
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 [2] 3