Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Clay Furniture  (Read 6930 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Clay Furniture
« on: February 20, 2011, 11:45:40 pm »

So, I know that clay can currently used for furniture like it were a normal stone.  I'm loving this, myself, but the bug tracker makes it clear that this will be altered in the next release.

Instead, can clay furniture be made in the kiln, using fuel to set the clay in a shape?

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Clay Furniture
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 01:17:23 am »

It wouldn't work.
Quote from: Spambot
Becoming a software engineering is not a piece of cake that you can slice it off a plate and gorge on it.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 02:21:27 am »

Thank you for your incredibly detailed and informative response.

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 03:12:09 am »

I mean think about the properties of clay, it wouldn't work as furniture.
Quote from: Spambot
Becoming a software engineering is not a piece of cake that you can slice it off a plate and gorge on it.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 04:07:21 am »

*Ahem*
MODDERS.
We already have bees making chairs out of wax for us. No, not dwarfs making chair out of wax, the bees do it themselves. Making stuff out of a building matieral is small fish. If you want clay furniture, then head over to the modders forum. They can make if you you, if they havn't already, and they most likely have.

The Phoenixian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 04:57:40 am »

I mean think about the properties of clay, it wouldn't work as furniture.

Please elaborate.

Out of my own knowledge, I can't say whether clay would be all that good for furniture --- and I definitely wouldn't make mechanisms or anything with moving parts out of it --- but I imagine it could certainly be made into it. It would take a lot more time, fuel and, especially, skill to fire but people have successfully fired walls and even whole buildings out of clay. (Though it was about..70% grog I think? Can't remember precisely. and think cramped backyard shed not suburban house.)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 04:59:17 am by The Phoenixian »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 05:15:12 am »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that most economic clay in the modern era wouldn't work, but if you fire clay in the right way it basically becomes artificial stone, so toughness isn't an issue.  Design style might be different, because firing someone larger is more difficult, but design is glossed over anyways.  You don't know what a chair looks like, it's simply "chair".

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 10:26:19 am »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that most economic clay in the modern era wouldn't work, but if you fire clay in the right way it basically becomes artificial stone, so toughness isn't an issue.  Design style might be different, because firing someone larger is more difficult, but design is glossed over anyways.  You don't know what a chair looks like, it's simply "chair".

That's stoneware (and porcelain), not regular earthware clay.  Stoneware and porcelain cannot be made very thick, or they will shatter as the water tries to escape from them during the firing process.  Porcelain, especially, is very difficult to fire in a large size.

Earthware can be made fairly thick, but then you're basically making something out of brick or terra cotta.  Basically, you're talking about making a chair out of brick.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 12:55:33 pm »

Dwarves already make stone chairs, why not brick ones?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 01:03:27 pm »

Dwarves already make stone chairs, why not brick ones?

Do you mean make bricks, then assemble them into a chair shape, or make a giant brick in the shape of a chair?

I could certainly see the first one being possible, if more than a little odd. 

The second would require some truly bizzare kiln to make possible, and would be very problematic and fuel-consuming.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 06:42:38 pm »

The process could be rolled up.  Instead of detailing that it's "make some legs and a plate, and then piece them together" the entire thing is abstracted down to "make chair".  While the dwarf is firing up individual ikea-sized pieces and assembling them, all you see on the job list is "Make Clay Chair".

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 06:48:57 pm »

Well, you could just make bricks, and declare bricks to be a "stone", and use that stone with masonry to make some literal masonry chairs.

I'm still not sure why you'd want a ceramic chair, exactly, but a brick chair is as close to reasonable as I think it gets.

... I'm kind of imagining a barbeque pit made of brick masonry with a brick masonry set of chairs out on a patio right now...
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2011, 06:50:21 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2011, 06:53:04 pm »

*ahem*

DAMN YOU! YOU BLEW IT ALL UP! YOU BLEW IT ALL UP!
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2011, 06:53:16 pm »

We ARE talking about dwarves, though.  A "Brick Chair" would literally be a brick on the ground.  A "Brick Table" would be a large brick on the ground.  A "Brick Cabinet" is a hollow brick.  A ☼Brick Chair☼ would be a brick on the ground with another brick on top of it to rest your back against.
Pages: [1] 2 3