Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Iter Vehemens ad Necem (IVAN)  (Read 1915 times)

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
Iter Vehemens ad Necem (IVAN)
« on: February 20, 2011, 08:39:08 pm »

If any of you have heard of this one, this is one of the other roguelikes I really enjoy playing.

It is one of the deepest, hardest, funniest, and most random roguelikes. There is a body-part system which is not nearly as detailed as DF's, but it does contain the basics.

Anyway, it's been kicking my butt recently (like it doesn't always).

My most recent death, which caused me to rage quit, was rather close to the beginning of the game.

I was starting a new character, strangely named "Bolb" (I was trying to type "Bob" but accidentally inserted an L) and was doing well for the first few floors of the dungeon. I had actually managed to locate a scroll of wishing, which grants you any one item in the game. I wished for the Belt of Levitation, since it is one of the most useful. It has very high DEF right away, and gives permanent levitation status. I was quite satisfied, just strolling along, killing everything in my way, when I came face to face with an Assassin. Assassins can appear at any point in the game, and are very powerful.
Well, I ran right into him, and he proceeded to take off my limbs. I freaked out, and started reading one of my two Teleportation scrolls. He continued to chop me up as I read, but I managed to get away only losing an arm and a leg. I had two cans of healing potion, so I quaffed them both, and grew a new arm and leg. Unfortunately, these limbs were not fully healed right away, and some carnivorous plants appeared and decided to take them off again. I tried fighting, but my character panicked, and I had now lost both my legs and one arm. I read my second scroll of teleportation, and it teleported me to MORE carnivorous plants. They started mauling me, and my character couldn't fight back with only one arm and no weapon, so I started praying to the gods I knew for help. I knew two, and each one granted me a new limb. Unfortunately, like the other limbs, these were weak at first, and the plants immediately smashed them too. They also took the liberty of relieving me of my other arm. So there I was, a torso and a head, being eaten alive by two plants. At that very moment, I was relating my character's situation to Monty Python.

"I'll bite your legs off!"

Just thought someone might get a lol out of this.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Iter Vehemens ad Necem (IVAN)
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 08:49:25 pm »

I don't recall assassins ever appearing, and in fact I don't ever remember seeing them on the creature list. What version? I remember the official development of it died aroun 0.50, but it sounds like you have a fan build of it.
Most enemies seem to appear based on minimum stat requirements. Using wizard mode to super-jack your stats will get some nasties appearing on the first level of the first dungeon.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 10:06:33 pm »

Oh, I tried Wizard Mode.
Made myself basically invincible. And then a certain...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Showed up and murdered me horribly. And then I tried murdering him with a crap load of Necromancers. Barely worked. Barely. I also have a tendency to turn into a Werewolf now and then.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 10:10:33 pm »

I don't recall assassins ever appearing

In the second dungeon an Assassin or a Werewolf will appear.

Before the Ennerbeast anyhow.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 10:12:05 pm »

Huh. Constantly regrowing limbs only to have them immediately chopped off again.

Certainly a unique scenario, I'd think...
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 10:15:25 pm »

Huh. Constantly regrowing limbs only to have them immediately chopped off again.

Certainly a unique scenario, I'd think...

Only unique in that you are often starved for the Troll Blood, Healing Potions, and God Prayers required to keep up with it.

It is rather common to be put into this situation often near the very start of the game unfortunately.

Though still there is only one part of the game I'd fully consider Unfair.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 10:23:46 pm »

Just as an experiment, I tried defeating the final boss with the best stats possible, the best equipment possible (which is only acquired from the final boss), and a army of steel golems backing me up. (Obviously cheated to get to this point.)

I barely scraped by killing him. Seriously, this game defines 'Losing is Fun'.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 10:27:31 pm »

Fun things to do: Spawn a whole army of mistresses and murder the beginning town. And then spawn a tonne of Hattifatteners and watch them unintentionally murder the church of Valpurus.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 10:32:16 pm »

Spoiler: Better yet (click to show/hide)

Is there any correlation between the fact that there's suicidal dwarves belonging to a religion that worships a frog as its prime deity, and Bay12(a website about suicidal dwarves) and its prime deity, Toady One?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 10:33:21 pm »

Oh god the High Priest is Aqizzar.

And Malfeagor or what's-his-face is Kurtulmak. It all makes sense now/

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 11:02:12 pm »

IVAN, more IVAN, and a bit of LIVAN. Search feature pings IVAN as coming up pretty often, even beyond those :P

That said, IVAN's awesome. My favorite thing to do is go in under cheatmode and spawn about 20-30 grandmaster necromancers in the main town, then watch the fireworks.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 12:35:44 am »

Seriously, this game defines 'Losing is Fun'

No... it defines "Losing is cheap"

I am rather frustrated at the game especially when I found out the win victory.

Also Steel Golems arn't that great.