Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Plugging the volcano with bucketfuls of water  (Read 1605 times)

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Plugging the volcano with bucketfuls of water
« on: December 27, 2007, 03:05:00 pm »

I just thought I should share this thing, because I think this hasn't been done before and it is just fun, interesting, wacky and pretty damn useless and stupid.  :)

ChaosFollowing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chaosfollowing.com
Re: Plugging the volcano with bucketfuls of water
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 05:49:00 pm »

Strange. About two maps ago I made an aqueduct that pumped water from the nearby brook to the very lip of the magma vent. That worked without problem, though the water only fell 1 z-level(I used the ground as the aqueduct base, and just built walls).

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 01:54:00 am »

hey thats neat. I tried a less efficient way of doing that awile back but i abandoned it because digging a hole in the cap results in an empty space and it was too hard to set up forges.
Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 03:47:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by ChaosFollowing:
<STRONG>Strange. About two maps ago I made an aqueduct that pumped water from the nearby brook to the very lip of the magma vent. That worked without problem, though the water only fell 1 z-level(I used the ground as the aqueduct base, and just built walls).</STRONG>

But did the pump pump a bigger amount of water than 1/7? I think the small amount  of water has something to do with the not-working-when-dropped-from-1-z-level part. But that doesn't make sense because the higher the water is dropped, the more there is mist and so should be less water. I think I'll test it from 5 z-levels or so and see what happens.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 04:26:00 am »

Speaking of which. I kinda just figured it out.

If you have a magma vent near the ocean beach, you can make a pretty neat underwater fort by channeling magma. Since the obsidian that is created when magma touches water is counted as natural, it caves in whole, and ends up on the bottom. Do that for a while, and you end up with a column that reaches the surface. Do that on a larger scale, and you will have all the underwater space you need for an underwater fort, and a shaft leading down into it... Verry interresting...

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 07:46:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Sean Mirrsen:
<STRONG>Speaking of which. I kinda just figured it out.

If you have a magma vent near the ocean beach, you can make a pretty neat underwater fort by channeling magma. Since the obsidian that is created when magma touches water is counted as natural, it caves in whole, and ends up on the bottom. Do that for a while, and you end up with a column that reaches the surface. Do that on a larger scale, and you will have all the underwater space you need for an underwater fort, and a shaft leading down into it... Verry interresting...</STRONG>

That (column in the lava) was exactly my plan in the first place, but accomplishing it proved to be rather difficult, so I now I'm doing this thing instead, but I can probably reach similar things with it. (although it takes rather long time)

[ December 29, 2007: Message edited by: LASD ]

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 12:58:00 pm »

In my experience, dropping buckets of water onto magma only destroyed a bit of magma without making obsidian. To seal the connection in my current fort, I built a hatch over a channel over the tile to seal, built walls around it, stairs up, and designated the tile above the hatch as a pond. Once the dwarves had it up to 6/7, I flipped a lever to open the hatch (the water fell and immediately turned the entire tile to obsidian), removed the pond designation, and dismantled everything.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive