Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]

Author Topic: Government Shutdown... TV says it's bad. Is it?  (Read 22767 times)

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Government Shutdown... TV says it's bad. Is it?
« Reply #255 on: April 14, 2011, 04:15:16 pm »

However, cutting the IRS's budget by $600million, guaranteeing more taxes going unenforced and therefore increasing the deficit, was entirely a Republican amendment.
Of course, a president who proposes over 8 Billion in new IRS hires and enforcement strategies to collect that extra 600 million is freaking brilliant.

edit:  ignore this, looking for better sources.  the 8 billion claim looks like more of a budget shuffle within the IRA than new spending.  more to follow.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 04:21:06 pm by Gorjo MacGrymm »
"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: April 14, 2011, 04:17:34 pm »

Hasn't it been shown that every dollar spent on the IRS results in more than a dollar return to the government? Maybe it wouldn't hold for 8billion in increases, but I'd be willing to bet you'd get a damned site more than 6million out of it, and it would be worth it just to cut down on the criminals and freeloaders abusing the system if it was anywhere close to recouping the costs.

As I've said before, I'm a proponent of law and order, so their might be a fundamental disconnect here.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 04:19:07 pm by GlyphGryph »

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: April 14, 2011, 04:20:03 pm »

Hasn't it been shown that every dollar spent on the IRS results in more than a dollar return to the government? Maybe it wouldn't hold for 8billion in increases, but I'd be willing to bet you'd get a damned site more than 6million out of it, and it would be worth it just to cut down on the criminals and freeloaders abusing the system.
It has. I am sure it would hold for 8 billion dollars as well. Cutting the IRS budget is simple stupidity.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: April 14, 2011, 04:22:36 pm »

Hasn't it been shown that every dollar spent on the IRS results in more than a dollar return to the government? Maybe it wouldn't hold for 8billion in increases, but I'd be willing to bet you'd get a damned site more than 6million out of it, and it would be worth it just to cut down on the criminals and freeloaders abusing the system.
It has. I am sure it would hold for 8 billion dollars as well. Cutting the IRS budget is simple stupidity.
I would like to see where it has been shown.  If nothing else, it would be interesting reading.  Also, I retract my last post until further sources can be gathered or dismissed.
"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: April 14, 2011, 04:25:08 pm »

Would it really be a bad thing if the government stopped nearly all forms of regulation? I mean, the government has proved they can do pretty much nothing right.

Please tell me this is sarcasm.

If you're serious:  "Nearly all forms of regulation" is extremely broad, to the point that you clearly haven't thought it through.  Also, I don't know what you mean by "right", but there's an obvious implication that the private sector can and will do anything and everything better (whatever that means).  This is patently false.  Market failures have occurred and do occur for a multitude of reasons.  Government regulation and/or intervention is neither necessary nor sufficient for them.

Yes and no. Gun, marijuana, whether parents are allowed to send their kids to school with a homemade lunch, that kind of stuff.

Basically I want the government to treat its citizens like they can make a decision for themselves without ending up in jail, morbidly obese, or dead.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #260 on: April 14, 2011, 04:29:51 pm »

Fuck the IRS. They go after the people least capable of defending themselves even if they are innocent and ignore anyone who can lawyer up and squirm away without paying their due. My crippled mother, who has no income other than her social security pittance, is having her income garnished for back taxes from years when she had no taxable income. Fortunately for them, all her tax paperwork was destroyed in hurricane Katrina and they refuse to provide her with their evidence so she is unable to defend herself.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Chunes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: April 14, 2011, 04:36:02 pm »

Yeah. They need to learn how to take on someone their own size.

They can start with every large corporation ever, some of which pay less taxes than I do, and I make less than 10k/yr.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: April 14, 2011, 04:37:12 pm »

I would like to see where it has been shown.  If nothing else, it would be interesting reading.  Also, I retract my last post until further sources can be gathered or dismissed.

Most news stories about the IRS cuts will quote that "every dollar spent on the IRS brings in about ten dollars of government revenue".  They're quoting Ezra Klein and the Associated Press - you can haw it off as "liberal media" if you want, but there's no small amount of research data available about the federal department outside of the military.  And going back into past years has shown that every time the IRS's budget is cut or grown, government revenue drops or grows by about 1:10, relative to the economic conditions.

Not that the Republican congress really gives a damn about what the IRS is actually for.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: April 14, 2011, 04:40:55 pm »

The IRS, the only place in America where your guilty until proven innocent.  Of course, revenue enforcement inst an easy task.  Needs must when the devil drives and all that, ya'know?

Of course, Nadaka, what happened to your mother is atrocious.  You have my prayers and sympathies.

Yeah. They need to learn how to take on someone their own size.

They can start with every large corporation ever, some of which pay less taxes than I do, and I make less than 10k/yr.
Ummm, that would be extremely difficult, unless its GE!   :P

Most news stories about the IRS cuts will quote that "every dollar spent on the IRS brings in about ten dollars of government revenue".  They're quoting Ezra Klein and the Associated Press - you can haw it off as "liberal media" if you want, but there's no small amount of research data available about the federal department outside of the military.  And going back into past years has shown that every time the IRS's budget is cut or grown, government revenue drops or grows by about 1:10, relative to the economic conditions.

Not that the Republican congress really gives a damn about what the IRS is actually for.
Thanks for the info, I honestly never have heard that ratio.  Also, about the law in the link, go for sources other then from political spin shops:  http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h112-3.  Also, check out the Hyde amendment, since the new bill basicly adds to it.

edit:  can anyone find a link to what the current Hyde Ammendent states, since it tends to vary from year to year (its not a law, but a rider usually attached to the annual budget)?  Also, if no budget was passed last year, is the Hyde ammendment still in force?  i cant find any quick answers to this, help pls.

edit2:  here is some good info:  http://www.nchla.org/datasource/ifactsheets/4FSHydeAm22a.08.pdf
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 04:57:26 pm by Gorjo MacGrymm »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: April 14, 2011, 05:08:03 pm »

The IRS, the only place in America where your guilty until proven innocent.  Of course, revenue enforcement inst an easy task.  Needs must when the devil drives and all that, ya'know?
I don't think you are - you still get trials for tax evasion.  Unless you're suggesting they should hold a trial for everyone who needs to pay taxes every year...?

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: April 14, 2011, 05:12:32 pm »

No, he is right.  In the IRS launches an audit against you, the burden of proof is on you to provide documentation that they're wrong.  If you can't provide such documentation, you pay up.  Sure, you can probably try going to court, but without having millionaire-class legal representation, you're going to lose.  Which should tell you something about who's doing to the tax cheating.

Thanks for the info, I honestly never have heard that ratio.  Also, about the law in the link, go for sources other then from political spin shops:  http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h112-3

I'm not sure it counts as a spin shop when the site provides a direct link to the bill themselves.  Besides, who here can actually read that stuff, considering most of the bill is just striking and word-by-word amending lines in a multitude of other bills.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: April 14, 2011, 05:27:35 pm »

No, he is right.  In the IRS launches an audit against you, the burden of proof is on you to provide documentation that they're wrong.  If you can't provide such documentation, you pay up.  Sure, you can probably try going to court, but without having millionaire-class legal representation, you're going to lose.  Which should tell you something about who's doing to the tax cheating.  Quite true.

Thanks for the info, I honestly never have heard that ratio.  Also, about the law in the link, go for sources other then from political spin shops:  http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h112-3

I'm not sure it counts as a spin shop when the site provides a direct link to the bill themselves.  Besides, who here can actually read that stuff, considering most of the bill is just striking and word-by-word amending lines in a multitude of other bills.
My own cynicism says, plenty of political rags on both sides would link the law, granting themselves legitamacy at the same time counting on their readers to think "...who (sic) can actually read that stuff, considering most of the bill is just striking and word-by-word amending lines in a multitude of other bills."

But your point is valid, IMO most bills are basicly illegible to citizen joe/jane bloe (and myself), but thats another subject.  This bill seemed rather straight forward, to me at least.

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: April 15, 2011, 03:16:35 pm »

Sorry for the double post, but since we got off into diplomacy,

THIS:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

8)
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]