Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18

Author Topic: Government Shutdown... TV says it's bad. Is it?  (Read 22825 times)

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Government Shutdown... TV says it's bad. Is it?
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2011, 01:57:53 pm »

If DC has the choice of fucking up the nation even more or causing a slight self inconvenience, the U.S. needs to grab the lube.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2011, 02:50:30 pm »

Yes yes, you can all cynic all you like, I'm rather leery of the situation. 

...So am I, but the OPer asked if the world will end if there is a government shutdown. The answer is an obvious "No". There will be negative repercussions, there will be costs, but this does not mean that one has to panic and worry about these repercussions and costs too much. And if there is a high chance of a government shutdown, then I'm going to treat the shutdown as a "sunk cost", something we'll have to pay for anyway due to the glorious era of partisanship.

To put it in a proper perspective, I worry a whole lot about the national debt, I believe its accumulation will lead to negative repercussions...mainly higher interest rates to service the debt, a "crowding-out effect" that will reduce economic growth, and economic dependence that might lead to trade imbalances. However...that's about it. Even with all these negative repercussions, the USA will still live, still be powerful, still be able to keep on serving as the military-welfare state. And a government shutdown will still lead to a living and powerful USA that will serve as the military-welfare state, because, hey, a shutdown has to end someday when one side blinks.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2011, 12:11:57 am »

Thanks for all the answers, guys.  I knew there were a few things that I was missing.  It makes more sense, now.

I don't think it's fair that the politicians are turning a debate over policy into something that could potentially harm contractors.  I worked construction for a company that contracted for the local military base and lost my job after some red-tape got fumbled around, lost, or was never done in the first place.  I'd only worked there a month, and it was the last time I had full-time work.  I understand that aspect of it.

At the risk of receiving criticism, I have to say that I don't see a problem with someone backing down and saying, "Okay, we'll review this stuff."  They'd prevent anything bad affecting the working class families (And the businesses that employ them), and even potentially cut some of the wasteful government spending, which is an obvious problem that's been going on since forever.

More than anything, I wish everyone would just quit with the whole "They said that, so I'll say this just to oppose them!" spiel.  It's getting old.  I mean, I enjoy politics, since differing viewpoints intrigue me, but I hate it when politicians do something stupid just to gain some political points or just for the sake of being contradictory.  I hate it even more that people buy into it.

I guess a lot depends on how long the shutdown lasts.  If it lasts until the next elections, I see a potential problem.  If it only lasts a few months, the effects may not thunder throughout time and eternity.  We'll see what happens.

Again, thanks.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2011, 01:58:11 am »

Does the constitution require a Congress? Because now might be the time to be rid of that cyst on the ass of america once and for all. Just saying.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2011, 02:22:04 am »

Here is the thing about TV

TV would say a stubbed toe could be life threatening if it would lead to more viewership... unless of course it hurt their sponsors or their political agendas.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2011, 02:38:07 am »

...So what are the politicians trying to accomplish? What's the bone of contention here?

The upcoming federal budget. Republicans want their version which poses deep cuts in stuff dems want left alone. The Dem plan calls for a (larger) federal budget that they believe will help reduce the deficit in the next (10?) years.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2011, 10:24:24 am »

Yea, the main problem is there is no negotiation going on... no compromise. 

"Do it my way or I'm not cooperating at all."  But, that is expected, American tax dollars are paying them to be douchebags after-all....
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2011, 03:36:59 pm »

Yea, the main problem is there is no negotiation going on... no compromise. 
As far as I know, politicians are elected to represent the points their voters find important and to enact the policies they promised to their voters. Therefor they should not compromise in the first place because that would mean they'd break their promises. Or something similarly nuanceless because decromacy has to be protected at all costs.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 03:39:27 pm by Virex »

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2011, 02:45:01 am »

decromacy

It's spelled "decromancy".

Ok. 1. as a canadian I want to watch this.

2 - Decromancy is an awesome word.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2011, 02:56:28 am »

Does the constitution require a Congress? Because now might be the time to be rid of that cyst on the ass of america once and for all. Just saying.
And replace it with what, exactly?
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2011, 02:59:09 am »

Yeah, I thought that people just wanted to disband the Senate or something...

I know people want to disband the House of Commons in Canada (and honestly... I don't blame them.), but it has long since served its purpose and doesn't need to be replaced if it is what I am thinking of... Or at least change how it functions.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2011, 07:28:53 am »

TRIAL BY STONE!

What? I always thought the Skeksis had a sensible governnment and legal system rolled into one.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2011, 12:36:58 pm »

It makes little sense until you realize what the Republicans are trying to do. They gained a large number of seats in an off-year election where the biggest debating issues were manufactured ones. Because it was not a presidential election year, and most of the hubbub was really stupid, voter turnouts were fairly low. Also, the biggest factor in the Republican victories was the Tea Party, which is the kind of group where supporters don't last long, especially when Tea Party-backed governors across the country are trying to ram through some very unpopular policy changes. They need a stick to batter the Democrats with, and thus need to make a situation where massive problems can be solidly blamed on the opposition. They tried to do the same thing last year with blackmailing Obama to extend the Bush tax cuts perpetually, but he was unexpectedly willing to compromise, and they couldn't stonewall him without looking like idiots. If the democrats don't back down, then it's clearly their fault the government shut down. If they do, they hand total control over policy to the Republicans.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2011, 01:12:59 pm »

It makes little sense until you realize what the Republicans are trying to do. They gained a large number of seats in an off-year election where the biggest debating issues were manufactured ones. Because it was not a presidential election year, and most of the hubbub was really stupid, voter turnouts were fairly low. Also, the biggest factor in the Republican victories was the Tea Party, which is the kind of group where supporters don't last long, especially when Tea Party-backed governors across the country are trying to ram through some very unpopular policy changes. They need a stick to batter the Democrats with, and thus need to make a situation where massive problems can be solidly blamed on the opposition. They tried to do the same thing last year with blackmailing Obama to extend the Bush tax cuts perpetually, but he was unexpectedly willing to compromise, and they couldn't stonewall him without looking like idiots. If the democrats don't back down, then it's clearly their fault the government shut down. If they do, they hand total control over policy to the Republicans.
And somehow, it'll all magically work out in the end.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2011, 01:47:39 pm »

It depends on how the state defines non-essential in this case. In some cases it included the police, firefighters and utilities. That would probably fall under mildly inconvenient (maybe upgraded to get more bullets if you live in a high crime area). Now if this would happen during, say, the tornado season (or forest fire season depending on the state), then that gets upgraded to quite problematic.

It's tornado season in Alabama.
Not only is it not actually advertising anything, it's just copy/pasting word salads about gold, runescape, oil, yuan, and handbags.  It's like a transporter accident combined all the spambots into one shambling mass of online sales.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18