Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 18

Author Topic: Government Shutdown... TV says it's bad. Is it?  (Read 22783 times)

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
Re: Government Shutdown... TV says it's bad. Is it?
« Reply #210 on: April 07, 2011, 11:20:48 pm »

If this really happens, it will be fun to watch the Tea Partiers answer questions about the military being paid should it go on long enough.

"You said shut it down, didn't you?"

"Well yes."

"So you're in favor of our troops going unpaid?"

"Well no--"

"But you said shut it down. Clearly you felt that soldiers not being paid was worth the price of making your point."

"We only wanted to stop the bad spending!"

"But you stopped all spending, not just the "bad spending." Sergeant Rakles would like to know if it was worth it."

"Uhm....uh....support our troops....uhm.....national security is our top priority....er....taxes are bad....uh....gosh, this politics thing is harder than it seemed like it would be in my 7th Grade Social Studies class."

UMMMM NENJIN, hate to burst your idealogical bubble, but OBAMA is threatening to not pay the soldiers.  No one else.  It is his pettiness that underlays that.  Normally, in a shutdown, the military does still get paid.  Just saying.

The way I see this, and I am sure I will be the most unpopular person for saying it, is that the Democrats and Obama have a gun to the head of America demanding money for their cronies (GM SEIU, AFL-CIO, etc etc etc etc etc ect) like some back alley thug and the Republicans care simplying trying to keep us all from being robbed.  Yeah, I know, that doesnt fit with the DF Forums acceptable narrative and tone.

Also, about Bush and fannie mae and Freddie mac:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MGT_cSi7Rs  (listen closely at the 7:40 mark)    damn that Bush and Deregulation.....oh, wait, what?!

Disclaimer:  I am a proud member of the Dallas Tea Party, started by non-white people, imaging that! :P

Only about a quarter of the words you said in there made any sense at all. Try again.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 08, 2011, 12:17:16 am »

Being the Manly British gentleman that i am (although I'm not actually British), I will endeavor to explain what Gorjo was saying to you.

Quote from: Gorjo MacGrymm
UMMMM NENJIN, hate to burst your idealogical bubble, but OBAMA is threatening to not pay the soldiers.  No one else.  It is his pettiness that underlays that.  Normally, in a shutdown, the military does still get paid.  Just saying.
Recently the republican's tried to pass a bill to have the soldiers be funded, even during the goverment shutdown, Obama said he would veto it if it passed somehow (the democrats won't support it passing), due to the fact that it would basically be the republicans side stepping the issue and getting the only thing they really care about funded.
The way I see this, and I am sure I will be the most unpopular person for saying it, is that the Democrats and Obama have a gun to the head of America demanding money for their cronies (GM SEIU, AFL-CIO, etc etc etc etc etc ect) like some back alley thug and the Republicans care simplying trying to keep us all from being robbed.  Yeah, I know, that doesnt fit with the DF Forums acceptable narrative and tone.
He's saying the democrats are holding the country hostage by not passing the budget, and the republicans are trying to stop them and their dastardly unions that try to help out the poor-middle class.
Amusing in that it's actually the exact opposite of what's happening (the democrats are actually at about the same amount of money cut as the republics are right now, but the republicans refuse to accept it due to the fact that that they are trying to get things passed in the budget that has very little to do with the actual budjet, for instance they are insisting planned parenthood doesn't get any funding, and are trying to strip the EPA of its power) and what's happened in the past (eg. republicans refusing to let  anything pass till rich people got their tax breaks).

Also, about Bush and fannie mae and Freddie mac:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MGT_cSi7Rs  (listen closely at the 7:40 mark)    damn that Bush and Deregulation.....oh, wait, what?!

Disclaimer:  I am a proud member of the Dallas Tea Party, started by non-white people, imaging that! :P
The republicans are anti regulation, and have went out of their way to destroy regulation, and try to shut down regulation.
The democratic politicians are part of the system, and really aren't much better since they are also career politicians.

It appears in this case however, that the republican's were better then the democrats.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 08, 2011, 12:41:27 am »

....It appears in this case however, that the republican's were better then the democrats.

wow, lol, hooray, major victory for my side  :D.  sigh, it wont last.............lol  here comes the landslide I bet    ;D

PS:  yes, i am aware that I avoided most everything else Lemon10 said, purposely.......   ;)
also:
He's saying the democrats are holding the country hostage by not passing the budget, and the republicans are trying to stop them and their dastardly unions that try to help out the poor-middle class.  Amusing in that it's actually the exact opposite of what's happening (the democrats are actually at about the same amount of money cut as the republics are right now, but the republicans refuse to accept it due to the fact that that they are trying to get things passed in the budget that has very little to do with the actual budjet, for instance they are insisting planned parenthood doesn't get any funding, and are trying to strip the EPA of its power) and what's happened in the past (eg. republicans refusing to let  anything pass till rich people got their tax breaks).

We disagree so much on this statement that I decided its not worth the argument here.  *shrugs

PPS:  thanks for 'splainen for me lemon10!
"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 08, 2011, 01:14:48 am »

I hate to burst your bubble, but without the ability to borrow the government can't pay hardly anything. They can't borrow at all until a budget is finalized. Of course Republicans wanted to write a bill specifically allocating funding for soldiers during a budget crisis, it's the weakest point of their whole resistance to coming to any sort of agreement.

Let's skip soldiers though. Let's go with the 800,000 Federal employees, every day people, who won't be getting paid. They're not part of his inner circle and "cronies", they're average people who earn a pay check for doing a job they were hired to do. The Tea Party supporting shutdown is supporting putting them out of a job too. I imagine some of those folks even vote Republican. Your'e also shutting down their support network, you know, unemployment. So in one stroke they've lost their job and, until the budget is resolved, a foundation of support for the American worker when things go bad.

Holding anyone's paycheck hostage for political purposes is wrong, and a waste of time and effort by everyone involved. Just pass a damn budget, and score some political victory points for holding out to the 13th hour. Ironically, the people who stand to lose the least from this are the people who don't depend on a paycheck or government services. That includes Democrats and Republicans.

Feel free to dredge up when Democrats have done similar things. I'm not defending that either. But the "just burn it all down" attitude of the shutdown isn't productive. It's just wasteful political drama. Money isn't being saved by doing this. Tax revenue will barely hold up essential operations.

You can easily flip the same thing to be said of Republicans. They've got an equal 50% responsibility and ability to say "ok, let's find a solution."

He's saying the democrats are holding the country hostage by not passing the budget, and the republicans are trying to stop them and their dastardly unions that try to help out the poor-middle class.
Amusing in that it's actually the exact opposite of what's happening (the democrats are actually at about the same amount of money cut as the republics are right now, but the republicans refuse to accept it due to the fact that that they are trying to get things passed in the budget that has very little to do with the actual budjet, for instance they are insisting planned parenthood doesn't get any funding, and are trying to strip the EPA of its power) and what's happened in the past (eg. republicans refusing to let  anything pass till rich people got their tax breaks).

Cheers, I'm fluent in rhetoric, and I've been following the state of the budget negotiations so I know the actual difference in proposed budgets amount to a tiny fraction of the last budget. I appreciate the translation though.

The actual budget isn't what's at stake though. It's partly the long-term budget mindset and of course the 2012 elections. I've been alive long enough to remember the last time a government shutdown was the big drama, back in the Bush Administration and the Clinton Administration. It's just another tool for political control, and it happens to be in the hands of Republicans this time around. Except until now, no one was felt it was necessary to push it to the point where they start putting people out of work.

It just ticks me off that the Freshmen, and in turn the vulnerable Republican party, are being so cavalier with a lot of people's livelihoods. That makes me feel soooo much better about the prospect of them having the reigns.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 01:35:04 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 08, 2011, 09:36:29 am »

The republican budget actually involves cutting funding to planned parenthood and the EPA. And when I say cutting it shouldn't be taken lightly, it's made to sound like it's just cutting a little bit here a little bit there, it's not, when republican politicians say cutting they mean chopping and butchering.

Republican senators even wanted to chop funding to the IRS at one point (not in this budget). THE IRS. They run around claiming to be all about the budget, the fiscal crisis, and then want to undermine the governments primary way of making money?!?!? This logic is lost on me.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 08, 2011, 09:43:40 am »

There's also the "Boren Amendment", which is so buried in the weeds of the budget that this is all Google can give me.  As far as I can tell, it specifically retracts funding from the ATF slated for tracing bulk gun sales.  Because, y'know, the ATF's effort to prosecute domestic gunrunners is just fucking killing the government's bottom line.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 08, 2011, 11:21:40 am »

If your world view revolves around government being bad, you have an interest in proving such to be true. Even if you are the government.
!!&!!

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 08, 2011, 12:16:57 pm »

If your world view revolves around government being bad, you have an interest in proving such to be true. Even if you are the government.
Eh, not all gov't is bad.  But, the way it is, in most places, a good portion of it is bad.
Mileage may vary in the eye of the beholder.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 08, 2011, 01:05:59 pm »

There's also the "Boren Amendment", which is so buried in the weeds of the budget that this is all Google can give me.  As far as I can tell, it specifically retracts funding from the ATF slated for tracing bulk gun sales.  Because, y'know, the ATF's effort to prosecute domestic gunrunners is just fucking killing the government's bottom line.

IF that is accurate, it's an interesting point. However, I count at least 3 outright lies (the "90% of mexican guns come from the US has been disproven so many times it's not funny) in the article, so I'm tempted to doubt that the issue is that clear-cut.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 08, 2011, 01:16:23 pm »

IF that is accurate, it's an interesting point. However, I count at least 3 outright lies (the "90% of mexican guns come from the US has been disproven so many times it's not funny) in the article, so I'm tempted to doubt that the issue is that clear-cut.
It's not a lie. He's wrong, but I am fairly sure he isn't lying (the correct figure is that 90% of guns mexico submits to us for tracing come from the united states, but that isn't all the guns).
I can't spot any other lies/glaring mistakes, what are they?
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 08, 2011, 01:28:25 pm »

He's got the death figures very low. This implies that he's simply regurgitating the party line rather than having his staff do any real research.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 08, 2011, 03:10:02 pm »

He's got the death figures very low. This implies that he's simply regurgitating the party line rather than having his staff do any real research.
Doing some research myself, it seems that the current deathtoll is 35000. While 30000 is quite a bit off (by a whopping 16%), the only real difference is less then a year's time.

So that's two, whats the third?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 08, 2011, 04:28:23 pm »

Dude, don't get me started on the laundry list of ways in which the ATF is hamstrung by Congressional mandates. They're forbidden, by law, from fucking computerizing their license records. They're required to keep records of every Federal Firearms license, but have to do so by keeping literally THOUSANDS of filing cabinets with the actual paperwork. And a small army of staff to go down into the filling cabinets and retrieve a license if it's requested for verification or a law enforcement investigation. You want to talk about government waste, Repubs? How about letting the ATF join the 21st goddamned century, and you could cut a few hundred jobs right there.

For a party that doesn't like gays, they certainly like to fellate the NRA every chance they get.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 08, 2011, 06:46:09 pm »

They're forbidden, by law, from fucking computerizing their license records. They're required to keep records of every Federal Firearms license, but have to do so by keeping literally THOUSANDS of filing cabinets with the actual paperwork.

What is the legal rationale for getting to stay on paper. I mean, that's fucking ridiculous as all get out, but how do you legislate something like that? With as much free reign as we give law enforcement in this country, jesus, you'd think the ATF make a bigger stink about it.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 07:47:50 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 18