Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: The most soul crushing death *Mass spoilers ahoy*  (Read 5205 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The most soul crushing death *Mass spoilers ahoy*
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2011, 01:58:58 pm »

Whaaaaaaaa
 Dekar is the biggest bachelor ever. No woman can be enough for that man.

Definitely my favorite character.  He was made of awesome and everything-slicing.

I was really bummed that "My love is my sword" wasn't in there.

... Also made of Napoleon, apparently ("Power is my mistress.").

Damn, Napoleon was a GAR guy...
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2011, 05:47:57 pm »

Tolkien is full of emotional character deaths.  No, not including Borimir.  His death was sort of heroic, but not terribly tragic.  Try most of the characters from Children of Hurin.  So very much ironic tragedy.  Or Fingolfin... goddamnit Fingolfin... Or hell, even the death of the tree of Valinor was very well portrayed as a tragic event.  Nightfall in Middle Earth (the title track) does a great job of putting it in perspective.

Grave of the Fireflies.

Wolfwood from Trigun is a good one.

Now and Then, Here and There has a few.  That show was a major heart-wrencher.

Palom and Porom from FF4 hit me pretty deep when I was a kid.

FF6 also has several.  No soul-crushers, but General Leo, Terra's parents, Cyan's family, plus several possible deaths depending on your choices were all quite emotional for video game content.

I personally never felt anything for Aeris.  She wasn't a very developed character with no obvious relevance to anything and a completely random meaningless death.  So she liked flowers and was pretty and there was pretty scenery and sad music... so what?  I have very little positive to say about FF7 in general, though.

I really felt for the forest spirit and the main villain in the second Hellboy film.

Oh... Kite... *dies inside just thinking about it*
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2011, 09:13:47 pm »

Or Fingolfin... goddamnit Fingolfin...
Oh yeah, the senseless death that involved much STOMPIN' by Morgoth. Good times.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2011, 10:54:42 pm »

Or Fingolfin... goddamnit Fingolfin...
Oh yeah, the senseless death that involved much STOMPIN' by Morgoth. Good times.

He did pretty damn amazing, considering he essentially challenged a god to a duel.  Morgoth forever walked with a limp after that encounter, and never willingly engaged in combat again after experiencing real harm at the hands of a lesser being.  It wasn't exactly senseless either, as he thought he was witnessing the final defeat of his people, and rode out to duel in a last ditch effort to save everyone.  He may have just done that to an extent.  IIRC, Morgoth was just rolling his armies over everyone with no signs of slowing down, until Fingolfin put some major fear in him.  Of course, Morgoth's later caution and patience is probably what allowed him to eventually conquer middle-earth, so the long-term effects are more debatable.  Regardless, Fingolfin was arguably the most badass non-celestial being in the entire Tolkien legendarium.  Combine the epic scale of his final act with the context that he didn't agree with Feanor and only followed him out of Valinor out of a sense of responsibility for his people, even after Feanor's house horridly betrayed him, and he definitely deserves a place in this thread.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2011, 11:30:08 pm »

I'm not denying that he did amazing, I'm just saying that the death was so senseless and needless that its sadness coefficient looped over into the 'wow that was a crazy fight but that guy died' instead of sobbing material.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2011, 11:33:08 pm »

The Goat Scene from Terranigma.

I'm not even gonna say it, get an emulator and play the game.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2011, 12:02:20 am »

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 24, 2011, 05:22:59 am »

Come on. FF7 gets *way* more hate then it deserves.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 24, 2011, 05:30:21 am »

I loved FFVII, but wasn't so big on Aeris' death.  This may have been because I was playing with a friend who took Aeris as her personal ideal and was unable to continue playing once she died.

On the other hand, in my version Vincent ran over and started kicking Aeris's corpse.  It was one of the more hilarious things I've ever seen, and I still don't know why it happened.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 24, 2011, 05:32:05 am »

I think the hate directed to FFVII is mostly because it marked the point were Final Fantasy games began to become more about the GFX, and less about the gameplay.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #70 on: February 24, 2011, 05:44:37 am »

I think the hate directed to FFVII is mostly because it marked the point were Final Fantasy games began to become more about the GFX, and less about the gameplay.

What? But the later games in the series have just as much if not more gameplay innovations than the earlier ones. Materia? Excellent way to build on the Espers system. Guardian Forces? Totally awesome! The Sphere Grid was also a cool concept.

FF7 probably gets so much hate because it's the most popular game in the series so it's the most visible. And really it's only ever the story that gets ragged on. Honestly, 7 might have the best gameplay in the series. Even though it isn't my personal favorite.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2011, 05:47:24 am »

I think FFVII is so hated because it is so loved. It has more then its fair share of fanboys who will claim it is the best ever made and no other can compair. This sort of attitude is bound to bring hate to the extremist fan base, and hate of the fan base always brings hate of the game. Just look at guitar hero, it is a great reaction based game, and a lot of fun to play multiplayer! But people hate it because there are a few douches out there that think that playing a song on expert makes you an expert on that song.

I liked FFVII. It has an interesting story line. the characters were a little shallow but for there steriotypes were lovable, in a cartoonish way. The materia system was kick ass and combat in general was fun. So I liked it more then XII but less then X.

DISCLAIMER: I still realy liked XII, the landscapes were beautiful, the soundtrack was the best from any final fantasy, and the over all plot was good, even if you never got to realy meet any of the main characters.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 24, 2011, 05:48:29 am »

FFIX.  Favorite, hands down.

Spoiler: Related (click to show/hide)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 24, 2011, 05:52:30 am »

Honestly, 7 might have the best gameplay in the series.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #74 on: February 24, 2011, 06:01:31 am »

Spoiler: Related (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

No one should be shocked by that, 10-2 had excellent gameplay. I'd probably have said it actually but I didn't play it much since I didn't like 10 and that one was even worse.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7