Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 31.19 Military problem  (Read 777 times)

Greep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
31.19 Military problem
« on: February 20, 2011, 05:51:52 pm »

I've taken a break from DF for a year, so I've been trying out 31.19.  However, my military seems to bug out.  Normally, it was annoying to get my dwarves to train but at least they would continue training once I got it started.  In this version they will start doing combat drills... and then for no apparent reason go to "no job"... and then go back to combat drills... and then go back to no job...  Is this a normal bug or am I doing something wrong?  I'm leaving them on off duty as I would have in previous versions to get them training.  Doing active duty just gets me those awful "waiting for training" style drills which do nothing.

Rutilant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 31.19 Military problem
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 06:08:28 pm »

Because off duty they're technically civilians that choose when to go practice.  Their personality traits for discipline determine how rigid they are with their own training so they don't automatically default to combat drills if they have no other job.

Greep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 06:11:42 pm »

Ugh, is this new?  And is there any way to enforce drills with active training then rather than those stupid lessons?

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 06:13:52 pm »

s>a>t

they'll get annoyed with long on duty schedules, though

Rutilant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 06:14:54 pm »

Ugh, is this new?  And is there any way to enforce drills with active training then rather than those stupid lessons?

If you really, really wanted to you could probably put each dwarf into their own individual squad set to train year round, however it might be worth noting that the demonstrations actually do work now unlike last year - if you have a dwarf with the teacher skill at a decent level it actually works really well.  From what I understand a legendary teacher + assorted legendary military skills is a damn good drill instructor these days.

Greep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 06:19:38 pm »

About how good are they at unskilled levels, though?  Will a dabbling teacher/novice axe dwarf teach as slow as I think he would?

ricree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 06:43:37 pm »

In my experience, it's pretty awful if you're starting from raw unskilled recruits.  They do some sparring, but mostly it's demonstrations and whatnot with a novice teaching a dabbling and accomplishing little.

If you don't mind a touch of cheese, Danger Rooms are pretty easy to set up and are very effective at training up recruits.