Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: soap? "lye-containing item"?  (Read 14763 times)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
soap? "lye-containing item"?
« on: February 20, 2011, 05:01:27 pm »

How do I make soap now?  Used to be you killed somethin', then let the cooks render its fat into tallow, then forbade it from being cooked into roasts, then traded for some barrels of lye from the caravan, then (j)(m)(q)(soap) to schedule some soap, and voila.

Now when I do the same thing in .19 I get "Urist McSoaper cancels Make soap from tallow: Needs lye-containing item."
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

ricree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: soap? "lye-containing item"?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 05:10:17 pm »

I think the lye might need to be in buckets.  Try making some lye in your fortress and see if that helps.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 05:11:34 pm »

Theres a new bug where lye in a barrel (Or n a barrel, I'm not entirely certain) will not be recognized.
The good news is that lye in buckets can now be used, so just don't make any stockpiles accepting lye.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 05:18:19 pm »

Do you have a lye stockpile?  I think the problem is that dwarves can use barrels and can use buckets, but they can't use barrels that are in a stockpile.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 05:24:39 pm »

I had lye in two places: in barrels, purchased from the dwarven civ, which were sitting in a food stockpile; and in buckets, made locally, sitting in the ashery workshop.  Said buckets contain water [9] and lye.  Neither was being used.

I forbade lye from the food stockpiles, then dumped the barrels of lye from the stockpiles to a zone somewhat near the soap workshop, and now the workshop can be told to make soap from tallow.  (My manager's on break now, so the queued-up soap jobs are still queued.)

I wonder if the same trick is required to make the quern recognize a nut-grinding job....
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 05:32:19 pm »

Disallow lye from your stockpile.  I had the same problem and it worked for me.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 05:35:48 pm »

Quite.  Also, confirmed: dumping rock nuts (I did individuals, rather than a whole bag full) out of the seed stockpile allows the quern to accept a "Mill seeds/nuts to paste" job.

Jeez.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 06:45:49 pm »

Yeah there seems to be a handful of bugs involving stockpiles in this version.  There's some similar problem with jugs and pots.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 07:33:39 pm »

Yup, confirmed that a screw press will not allow the "Press liquid from paste" if the glazed earthenware jug is in a (finished goods) stockpile.  I dumped the rock nut paste and still couldn't do the job.  Then I dumped the jug.  With both a forbidden jug and a forbidden paste sitting on the same tile as the screw press, no job could be scheduled.  With the paste unforbidden and the jug forbidden, still no job could be done.  With the jug unforbidden and the paste forbidden, the job CAN be done.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 08:21:36 pm »

Ironically (or maybe not for a first release) I'm avoiding most of the new features since I don't feel like dealing with the bugs.  :P
Memento Mori