Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Rpg or roguelikes with legendary weapons  (Read 2219 times)

vaaern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Rpg or roguelikes with legendary weapons
« on: February 20, 2011, 02:32:06 pm »

So, I've been trying mod DF to have named weapons in adventure mode (just named weapons like in fortress mode) after I've seen certain episodes from the anime One piece. It caught my intrest, and after hearing that it's impossible to put in adventure mode I've been searching for games (I prefer RPG's or roguelikes) that randomly create weapons that can be considered legendary/unique=(awesome), if possible with special abilities and description of that weapon.

For you who never watched one piece, on the wiki there is an article called meitou (which are the legendary weapons).
If someone can help me, thanks :p

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rpg or roguelikes with legendary weapons
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 02:34:12 pm »

Dungeon Crawl has a lot of this, I thought it's standard practice in rogue-likes ???
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 02:38:26 pm »

Diablo 2 had randomly generated Rare items, which were essentially very magic items, with random names in yellow. They didn't have descriptions, only pictures, and they didn't look any different from Normal. Unique Items were all set in stone, but frequently looked much more awesome than the weapon they were based on, and had much cooler names. They were also so rare it was highly unlikely a casual player would see any duplicates, even over multiple characters.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

vaaern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 02:42:11 pm »

I really have to play dungeon crawl more often I guess, and diablo 2 too. But for me the description of the weapons is something that gives an extra reason to play and replay.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 02:43:49 pm »

Random flavour texts tend to be ...not so good, so you'll be hard-pressed to find a game that has good description for randomly generated weapons.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

vaaern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 02:46:19 pm »

I'm probably just searching for something developers don't even care about putting in their games :p and some random description are strange indeed :p oh well, maybe I should try to make a game myself!! :p

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 02:48:25 pm »

Elona has them.
I think some of the 'bands might have them, but I'm not sure.
I'm pretty sure ToME has them.
Titan Quest(? not sure if they're 100% random).

That's all I can think of that have randomly generated artifacts.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Croquantes

• Bay Watcher
  • Essence of Chicken
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 04:08:18 pm »

Elona has some epic weapons. I stumbled across the remains of an adventurer who was killed while carrying a certain magical sword. I had it identified, and thought it was cool that the sword was named after the end of the world.

I equipped it immediately, and well, it was Fun. :D

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 05:12:22 pm »

lol you found Ragnarök?

vaaern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 05:34:29 pm »

I will try elona tommorow, and is that weapon random or not? Sounds very cool :p

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 05:38:14 pm »

well its spawn is random but it stats are not.

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, 06:07:01 pm »

Most Angbands have random artifacts, at least as an option... I dunno about randomized flavor-texts.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 06:10:41 pm »

well its spawn is random but it stats are not.
Actually, it always spawns with
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
so don't get all smart and try to attack him unless you want FUNZIES all day.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2011, 10:55:02 pm »

Random descriptions are always a bit hard... if you're looking for random weapons that get ridiculously epic, check out Portralis (Link directly to th'place holding downloads: You probably want Portralis04build002.zip. Build 5's undergoing major construction to th'system in general, apparently). Things just get silly in that one.

As with someone above, I easily recommend ToME4. It has randomly generated artifacts which are occasionally good, and a fairly numerous selection of set artifacts, complete with descriptions and so forth. The next version or two promises to have a influx of new artifacts specifically built to revolve around bits of game lore, which ought to be nice.

DoomRL has unique weapons as well, heh. Some of them are certainly legendary!

« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 08:07:16 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2011, 11:03:46 pm »

DoomRL has unique weapons as well, heh. Some of them are certainly legendary!
He's looking for randomly generated artifacts, not fixed ones. As far as I can tell all of DoomRL's weapons are fixed.
Pages: [1] 2