Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stripping caged goblins  (Read 892 times)

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Stripping caged goblins
« on: February 20, 2011, 02:18:52 pm »

So I carpeted the only entrance to my fort with cage traps, then made a few hives to lure in the gobbos. Now I have caged goblins and I'm not sure how to get the goblinite...

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
Re: Stripping caged goblins
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 02:27:54 pm »

The easiest way is to just go through the stocks menu and unforbid it. Easiest, not QUICKEST. :P

The quickest way involves setting a mass dump on the cage, they then chuck al the stuff, then you still have to unforbid it.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 02:32:43 pm »

The easiest way is to just go through the stocks menu and unforbid it. Easiest, not QUICKEST. :P

The quickest way involves setting a mass dump on the cage, they then chuck al the stuff, then you still have to unforbid it.

Thank you!

I knew it had something to do with forbidding/dumping...

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 02:37:18 pm »

Make an animal stockpile that takes only goblins.  Have this stockpile take from any other stockpiles where the goblin cages are getting stored.  Once everyone is there, mass claim (d-b-c), then mass-dump (d-b-d).  Now go to the stocks screen under the z-menu, go down to cages, then UN-dump everything there (otherwise, they'll dump only the cage into your garbage zone).

Obviously, you need a garbage dump, too.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

shmelse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 03:56:33 pm »

I believe that just reclaiming everything won't work, b/c the dwarves won't, of their own initiative, go strip the stuff off the goblins.

That's why you need to reclaim, dump, undump cages, and then reclaim from the dump, as described by Uristocrat.
"Aye, th' fortress o' Barbedgear. They say th'r was a dinin' room dere...o' such splendor tha' it'd reduce ye te tears! Masterful engravings lined th' walls! Th' food was endless!"

"An' th' tables?"

"Oh, those fuckin' TABLES...*weeps gently into beard*"

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 05:54:38 pm »

Note: make a special garbage zone next to the gobbos and de<a>ctivate all other garbage dumps you've got, so that all of the stuff you dumped goes to one place.

I always have to build my cages before I dump stuff, but I trust it can be done from a stockpile like Uristocrat said.
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

shmelse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 06:47:32 pm »

Note: make a special garbage zone next to the gobbos and de<a>ctivate all other garbage dumps you've got, so that all of the stuff you dumped goes to one place.

I always have to build my cages before I dump stuff, but I trust it can be done from a stockpile like Uristocrat said.

good note on making the dump close by. might also consider putting it close to finished goods/armor/weapons stockpiles to make it all easy to reclaim out of the dump when you're done.

and yes, the stockpile works just the same as building except that you have to go into stocks and remove the dump on the cages, don't have to do right away if you're building them all.
"Aye, th' fortress o' Barbedgear. They say th'r was a dinin' room dere...o' such splendor tha' it'd reduce ye te tears! Masterful engravings lined th' walls! Th' food was endless!"

"An' th' tables?"

Langdon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 07:00:17 pm »

and yes, the stockpile works just the same as building except that you have to go into stocks and remove the dump on the cages, don't have to do right away if you're building them all.

Instead of going into the stockpile screen and undumping cages, I find it easier to press 'k', move the cursor over the cages in the stockpile, and press 'd' to unmark each cage for dumping. Up to you as to which method is easier I guess.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 09:14:22 pm »

I mainly just disarm the goblins for use as "live training" for my soldiers.  I hide(d-b-h) all of the prisoner cages, and then look through my weapons list in the stockpile menu for any equipment marked "hidden" and then order that to be dumped.  Sometimes I'll order the shields to be dumped as well since one time a trainee's skull got bashed in by an otherwise unarmed goblin's shield.  Then I go back to the prisoner stockpile and un-hide (d-b-H) all the cages to remove the demarcation and make them visible again.

Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

shmelse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 10:01:21 pm »

Instead of going into the stockpile screen and undumping cages, I find it easier to press 'k', move the cursor over the cages in the stockpile, and press 'd' to unmark each cage for dumping. Up to you as to which method is easier I guess.

LOL, last time someone asked a question like this, I suggested the method you describe, since that's generally what I do, and someone else responded "isn't it just easier to un-dump all cages in the stocks screen?" and I was like... ok, fine, I'll mention that from now on. The method you describe is also totally acceptable and what I actually end up doing most of the time. Seems I can't win no matter what I recommend. =P

And yah, Hans, it depends on why you want to strip them. To train soldiers? To melt the goblinite/sell the cloth? B/c you like to imagine naked goblin cage dancers in each of your dwarven bedrooms? To each his own. I do like the hiding method, though; that's a good call.

"An' th' tables?"

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 10:55:01 pm »

I mainly just disarm the goblins for use as "live training" for my soldiers.  I hide(d-b-h) all of the prisoner cages, and then look through my weapons list in the stockpile menu for any equipment marked "hidden" and then order that to be dumped.  Sometimes I'll order the shields to be dumped as well since one time a trainee's skull got bashed in by an otherwise unarmed goblin's shield.  Then I go back to the prisoner stockpile and un-hide (d-b-H) all the cages to remove the demarcation and make them visible again.

^this. They're even better than wandering zombie camels for mobile targets if you give your dorfs training weaponry and have them wiffle-bat the gobbos to death.
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye