Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves suddenly decide they won't dig down  (Read 6076 times)

Daemon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dwarves suddenly decide they won't dig down
« on: February 20, 2011, 11:25:05 am »

So, i'm trying to set up proper deep-underground sleeping area for the dwarves, but they refuse to dig down properly.

I've built both up/down stairs and normal down stairs, they reveal the rock below as normal, but the dwarves refuse to actually cut that rock out to let me build the next set of stairs.

Any ideas?

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves suddenly decide they won't dig down
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 11:26:39 am »

This may seem brutally obvious, but did you designate the visible stone to be dug out as stairs?
Memento Mori

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 11:51:58 am »

Yea, you must designate them to be dug as up stairs or up/down stairs for them to work.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 11:52:07 am »

Use (d) stairs, not (b)(C) stairs. It's easier. Also remember to match up stairs on the level below with down stairs on the level above.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 02:04:59 pm »

Use (d) stairs, not (b)(C) stairs. It's easier. Also remember to match up stairs on the level below with down stairs on the level above.

I find it's easier still to just always use up/down stairs when possible. That way if you decide to go further, it's easier.

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 02:30:20 pm »

I find it's easier still to just always use up/down stairs when possible. That way if you decide to go further, it's easier.

It also gets easier for dwarves to decide they need to sleep right there and plunge down all of the stairs.  Ouch...
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 03:09:19 pm »

It also gets easier for dwarves to decide they need to sleep right there and plunge down all of the stairs.  Ouch...

Hatches? Dwarfs don't need no stinking hatches. They'll fall down 50 flights of stairs, both ways, and like it.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 05:10:59 pm »

If you're worried about that, you may as well go all out and use ramps exclusively instead of stairs. Done right, they're faster, too.

AlBravo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 05:43:14 pm »

Are the dwarves on alert and restricted to a burrow that ends there?
Ancient Avatar

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 09:07:22 pm »

If you're worried about that, you may as well go all out and use ramps exclusively instead of stairs. Done right, they're faster, too.

Or I can, you know, have any given staircase only go a few floors up or down.  They have to path a farther, but I like the way it looks better anyway...
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

Daemon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 12:03:45 am »

Thanks! I somehow managed to miss an important menu option. Apparently I'm blind. :(

Marshall Burns

• Bay Watcher
  • American Wizard
    • View Profile
    • Beyond the Wire Productions store
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 02:54:17 am »

I just found out that if you dig an up stair, then dig a down stair on the same tile, it becomes an up/down stair on its own. I really wish I had known this a long time ago.
By the way, I design table top RPGs and other games. You can buy some.