Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anyone else having increased famines?  (Read 1278 times)

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
Anyone else having increased famines?
« on: February 20, 2011, 07:15:29 am »

It seems that now during world gen, famines are even higher than usual, and the death rate is much much closer to the birth rate. In fact, nearly all of my worlds have had something ridiculous like only 1000 people living in the entire.

Has anyone else noticed this?
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else having increased famines?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 07:35:47 am »

Many people were complaining about the Kobbos especially... looking through my recent world's legends it would appear so. Year 4, they all die out. Many of the elves are suffering too... though Dwarves and Humans appear to be fine. No mention of Gobbos...  :-\
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 07:43:17 am »

Many people were complaining about the Kobbos especially... looking through my recent world's legends it would appear so. Year 4, they all die out. Many of the elves are suffering too... though Dwarves and Humans appear to be fine. No mention of Gobbos...  :-\

As I recall, Goblins don't actually need to eat.
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 08:23:21 am »

I've noticed that dwarf civs aren't faring as well; an awful lot of dead or dying ones. Humans seem to be doing okay, but that's about it.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 08:47:01 am »

Yes; NONE of my dwarf civs in .19 have had access to iron. one did not even have access to COPPER. I had to spend money on a steel anvil and bronze picks/axe.

I think in the bug reporter it is a reported bug that kobalds always die out in year 4.
Soaplent green is goblins!

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 08:48:55 am »

All my modded civs died in world gen  :( which is good because they would be putting me in constant sieges within the first year due to bees being worth 30k a hive. Oddly all of Toady's bugs seem to balance out...

Just slapping the [NOEAT] and [NODRINK] tags on kobolds, fixes the buggers.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Emily Murkpaddled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 09:02:28 am »

Yeah, I noticed this first when trying to immediately use Dwarf Fortress Fortress Defense with .19. When a 125 year world-gen ended with only 600 creatures from the, what, 44 civilizations consisting of 11 unique ones ... uh oh, I thought. :s

I didn't look into it enough to try and figure out why some of them consistently died off while others didn't, and just moved back to vanilla. Even in vanilla, though, gens that would previously have about 12,000+, often even 20,000 units, were completing with a complete order of ten less civ critters overall. D:

Humans doing fine does seem to be the one common thread, so I suppose this is just the frayed or unfinished, hanging threads of other, forthcoming Caravan Arc releases. :)

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 12:11:03 pm »

I've noticed that war with elves is more common in .19. I can only guess at the maths involved, but I'd guess that civs with less access to resources have less military strength, and so other civs are more likely to attack them. That could weaken them to the point that they can't grow food. I'm guessing kobolds have no means of producing food and dwarves have no means of defending themselves with ores the way they are at the moment.

Does anyone know anything about what factors are involved during world gen in shaping how civilisations grow?
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 12:14:32 pm »

Human town I spotted while looking through the exported sites/population data:
Code: [Select]
54: Atthemluh, "Twinessingle", town
Owner: The Plated Fellowship, humans
Parent Civ: The Even Empires, humans
1094 elves
249 humans
0 dog
2728 cats
0 mule
0 donkey
0 horse
0 cow
0 sheep
0 pig
0 goat
0 chicken
0 cavy
0 duck
10 water buffalos
0 reindeer
0 goose
0 yak
0 llama
0 alpaca
0 guineafowl
0 blue peafowl
0 turkey
0 rabbit

Worse, this was typical of human towns. Catsplosion and elfsplosion. I think the elves are starving, unless they get taken in/conquered by humans.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 01:55:27 pm »

Ten bucks says its a lack of farm sprawl.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Ravenkana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 01:59:59 pm »

I've noticed that war with elves is more common in .19. I can only guess at the maths involved, but I'd guess that civs with less access to resources have less military strength, and so other civs are more likely to attack them. That could weaken them to the point that they can't grow food. I'm guessing kobolds have no means of producing food and dwarves have no means of defending themselves with ores the way they are at the moment.

Does anyone know anything about what factors are involved during world gen in shaping how civilisations grow?

Considering that Elves traditionally ride into battle armed with wooden implements, the playing field has effectively been leveled. When no one else is waving iron or steel weapons at them, I imagine Elves have a much higher success rate in battle. Which means Elven Civilizations last longer, become larger, wage more wars, and effectively become the new master race... if they didn't keep dying out from starvation. Which I imagine comes from their stupid taboos.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, 05:12:04 pm »

Do goblins have industry like humans and dwarves do? I'd imagine so, but how come they don't need to eat or drink? That doesn't make much sense to me.
But .... It's so small!

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 05:18:20 pm »

I'm betting that in the next patch, prospecing will happen in worldgen, and you will be allowed to look for specific metals in the finder. Otherwise, I don't think the metal scarcity feature will last very long.
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2011, 05:37:48 pm »

I think goblins got the noeat and nodrink tags for now while Toady figures out what their food industry is and how it'll work. Elves 'pretend' to farm to get their food, whatever that means. Humans are the only civ wiht properly implemented agriculture. Toady sorta wants to do something different for each race I think. I know kobolds are meant to be a scavenger race so they can't produce their own stuff. Judging by how rare (they do exist) the reports of kobolds surviving year 4 are, worldgen algorithms don't deploy them intelligently.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.