Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No Magma Sea  (Read 1005 times)

atat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No Magma Sea
« on: February 20, 2011, 05:45:54 am »

I thought all maps were to have a magma sea? I just dug ALL THE WAY TO THE BOTTEM OF THE MOUNTAIN (150 or so floors down) and no magma, just boring old granite.

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
Re: No Magma Sea
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 06:06:47 am »

Did you change some world gen stuff. Theres a layer 4 and 5, you can gen a world without them, they are the magma sea, and below. There is also a chance your map is glitched and you dug past the magma sea, though you would have hit HFS or SMR if your map genned properly at least.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

Rinkanu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 09:18:58 am »

Since .19 ive noticed the magma sea being far deeper then usual , hell on my current embark i found magma at lvl -9 o.O.

My fortress was at 164 =S

Cassicotca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 09:33:26 am »

I found a magma sea with the map going still 70-z down, it's quite random but there should be a magma sea.

atat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 12:34:40 pm »

I sure as Hell dug to the bottom (-7, which is like 160 floors down) and it won't let me build no more down stairs. I have dug around horizontally on the bottom floor and many floor above it.

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 03:12:41 pm »

There's an world gen option to turn magma sea off
Try looking for it in DFReveal

shmelse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 03:59:08 pm »

There's an world gen option to turn magma sea off
Try looking for it in DFReveal

I second this, unless you're using 31.19 and DFReveal isn't updated yet, in which case, create a new save you're willing to fuck up, make a bunch of picks, turn on everyone's mining, set massive orders to dig out entire levels... and then go to bed or read a book or something =P
"Aye, th' fortress o' Barbedgear. They say th'r was a dinin' room dere...o' such splendor tha' it'd reduce ye te tears! Masterful engravings lined th' walls! Th' food was endless!"

"An' th' tables?"

"Oh, those fuckin' TABLES...*weeps gently into beard*"

Cassicotca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 11:27:52 pm »

Maybe it drained to
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Did you get "a cavern has collapsed" when you embarked?

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 12:29:25 am »

I thought all maps were to have a magma sea? I just dug ALL THE WAY TO THE BOTTEM OF THE MOUNTAIN (150 or so floors down) and no magma, just boring old granite.

What version are you on.  if you are running a 40d variant there is no magma sea.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

atat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 03:37:44 pm »

the latest version.... it might have, but there is no hell... I did run into a pretty flat cavern with not a trace of ANYTHING biological in it. IT might have drained, but if it did, I certainly don't know where it went.