Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Slightly less stupid dwarves  (Read 1426 times)

Daemon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Slightly less stupid dwarves
« on: February 20, 2011, 04:46:36 am »

For example, rather than suspending a build order because there's a stone in the way - have them move the bloody stone. Or actually use it if the stone is of the right sort. (Had an issue recently where a diorite stone blocked the construction of a diorite fortification)

Having dwarves move stones out of stockpiles that don't accept stones would also be nice.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
Re: Slightly less stupid dwarves
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 09:55:54 am »

Wow and here I was expecting to open a post concerning another dwarf locking himself on the wrong side of the floodgate or how a miner ran towards the magma to get away from it.

For example, rather than suspending a build order because there's a stone in the way - have them move the bloody stone. Or actually use it if the stone is of the right sort. (Had an issue recently where a diorite stone blocked the construction of a diorite fortification)

The reason why he's not moving the stone is because someone is already coming to move the stone to a stockpile. IF sir Toady was to make the mason move the stone and then construct the wall regardless, you'd be spammed by 'Urist McHauler cancels store item in stockpile: Item misplaced' messages.

Having dwarves move stones out of stockpiles that don't accept stones would also be nice.

Employ more migrants, or alternatively, dump the item and a refuse hauler will come and dump it in a garbage dump.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 11:37:45 am »

Sure those are ways to deal with the problem as it stands, but it would be nice if the game could deal with it more pleasantly. For example, move the stone slightly and build the wall. When a dwarf shows up tasked with actually using the stone and can't find it he can loil around for a bit before giving up.
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 11:43:03 am »

For now only tasked stones are unmoved. Including stones blocking tile of wall tasked to make other tile of wall.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 11:54:33 am »

Which is a problem if you're like me and designate psychotically large walls or the like while the game is paused and half of them get canceled because the dwarves decide that they don't like building in the order you chose. :)
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 12:01:19 pm »

I myself would rather have to choose, from which side that wall/grate/floodgate should be buildt.
Too many dorfs have died to starvation, magma, drowning or sieges the way it is now.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 12:05:15 pm »

b-C-w, then q-s
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 12:09:44 pm »

b-C-w, then q-s

what.. WHAT?? *facedesk*

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 12:11:31 pm »

Eh. Build wall on opposite side of floodgate [b-C-w], then suspend construction [q-s]. Dwarf will install floodgate from wanted side.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 12:13:08 pm »

Which is why I.. slammed my face into my desk..  Why did I not think of that?

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 12:19:00 pm »

Wow and here I was expecting to open a post concerning another dwarf locking himself on the wrong side of the floodgate or how a miner ran towards the magma to get away from it.

The reason why he's not moving the stone is because someone is already coming to move the stone to a stockpile. IF sir Toady was to make the mason move the stone and then construct the wall regardless, you'd be spammed by 'Urist McHauler cancels store item in stockpile: Item misplaced' messages.

Personally I'd prefer the storage calcellation message to the building suspension message.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Mdort Goblinsmiter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • JDS on YouTube!
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, 02:13:02 pm »

Personally I'd prefer the storage calcellation message to the building suspension message.

what I often see (or saw, last time I played around .16) was that this happened a lot with the stone actually being reserved for a latter segment of that particular wall.

It would be nice if the game could gracefully handle that... Perhaps if "Move that damn stone out of my way" jobs could be completed regardless of the previous reservation and would keep that reservation intact.  The only problem would be when both dwarfs are actively trying to complete the conflicting jobs.... but that could be handled by a "wait a bloody moment you oaf and I'll get to it!" job.
Check out my Dwarf Fortress tutorial series on Youtube.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 02:20:02 pm »

It is not so easy - dwarf must run pathfinder once more for new location of stone.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2011, 02:36:10 pm »

It is not so easy - dwarf must run pathfinder once more for new location of stone.

If they only move it by no more than two tiles, they don't have to look very far.  They already do this crazy sort of thing where they go a couple of steps around each other and it doesn't appear to require them to redo the entire path (I could be wrong, though).
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2011, 03:27:11 pm »

I had that bug too. After a couple of iterations of unsuspending my "build wall" jobs, I lookad at them more closely. It turned out, stome A was blocking construcion of wall B, while being tasksed for construction of wall A, that was blocke by stone B tasked for construction of wall B. Anyway, I removed both unfinished walls, dumped both stones, and designated walls again. That worked.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral
Pages: [1] 2