Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bogeymen  (Read 1502 times)

Llahlahkje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bogeymen
« on: February 20, 2011, 02:42:32 am »

They have a vast capacity to randomly, oh, I don't know...
RUIN THE GAME

... I sort of wish they could be disabled in the inits somewhere.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bogeymen
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 03:04:01 am »

They can easily be prevented by having at least one person with you... but then again I often want to do things on my own.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 03:11:59 am »

Losing is fun, but you nothing's making you travel alone at night.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 04:07:53 am »

They have a vast capacity to randomly, oh, I don't know...
RUIN THE GAME

... I sort of wish they could be disabled in the inits somewhere.

One day, this will be an option. I know, you can stop them by having people with you, but what if somebody wanted to role play as a single lone theif, using only silk clothing, a steel dagger and a kick ass dodging skill? Bogey man would sort of ruin he's day... Even worse is when you want a flavor mod that involves sci fi, or zombies, and your stuck with these genned creatures.

If you play adventure mode like everybody else, they are no problem, but for some people they are a real hurdle.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 05:46:05 am »

Well if your a lone thief you would have to bounce from town to town or find some other form of transportation.

Personally I think the Bogeyman chances should be toned down. I mean the world is pretty bad but when the darkness itself is tangable enough to kill you, and it will do so at every opportunity it can get rediculous.

Worse yet even some of the more tangable dangers are tougher to find. It is safer to sleep in the lands of evil then in an ordinary everyday forest.

It isn't so bad I guess if worlds have their own chances of bogeymen or if it is linked to something.

Though this is why I personally think the Bogeymen don't exist and they are actually representative of the natural insanity brought forth from being alone in the dark.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 05:50:32 am by Neonivek »

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 08:35:20 am »

I don't, considering I often manage to escape...

I ran all the way to the nearest settlement, got there with 3 teeth missing and a knife in my back. No idea where the knife actually came from, I think I threw it and a bogeyman threw it back... XD
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 09:57:49 am »

I remember reading in one of the FotF responses that Toady said he was only making bogeymen attacks so extremely common as a way of "breaking them in", and that they'll become much less common when he gets around to addressing them again.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 04:08:32 pm »

Pretty much.   They literally exist as a way to put the idea out there that night-time should be dangerous.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 04:51:09 pm »

Of course, once you get high enough in combat skills and have good gear you'll probably want to just fight them.  They're tangible enough despite being made out of smoke, though I never managed to kill one, I did cripple their legs on a number of occassions using targeted blows with a mace.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 05:57:44 pm »

kiling them is easy.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Maynot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 06:02:08 pm »

When you are preparing to generate a new world map, go into the advanced parameters.

Find Night Creatures.  Set the count to '0'. 

No more boogeymen in the world created with this parameter set.
I play games of games inside games in my head.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, 06:47:10 pm »

Night Creatures and bogeymen are two different types of creatures.  As far as I know, anything changing night creatures has nothing to do with bogeymen, and bogeymen are created on the spot whenever you encounter them.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 09:43:09 pm »

He's right, Night Creatures are essentially a special semi-megabeast that lives in small caves that aren't connected to the Cavern network.  You can find Night Creature lairs pretty easily if you spot the entrance; unlike most caves there is a hatch/door covering the entrance.  Inside you will find a Mortar & Pestle for grinding bones, a cauldron and maybe some other things.  They typically only wield a 'carving knife'.  Amusingly my first Night Creature kill was a 10-foot tall three-eyed Ogre that I brained in one mace strike.

Bogeymen are much different; they are not Night Creatures because they don't show up in world gen at all, they won't attack people unless they travel alone, etc.  This doesn't make them any less dangerous however as hundreds of them can show up and chase you around the map until you either run far enough from the place you found them, kill every last one, or reach a site (cave/old fortress/town/etc.).  They appear to be generated with characteristics similar to Night Creatures, if you look at them individually they are all built with different parts and looks.  But when defeated or left behind by running, they vanish into smoke.  This makes it nearly impossible to procure Bogeymen body parts.  Just save yourself some trouble and bring along a drunk, a slave child or elite soldier or whatever.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2011, 09:53:12 pm »

Bogeymen and Night Creatures probably have similar if not the same origins.

So yeah Mechanic wise Night Creatures and Bogeymen are nothing alike. Storywise I think they are the same breed of creature (In fact it could be that the original Nightcreatures are people who were slain by the Bogeymen)

Though once again I still think Bogeymen are all in your head.