Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Dwarven Candy  (Read 6918 times)

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Candy
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2011, 09:31:25 am »

Dwarves and adventurers won't eat anything that isn't an "edible" item type.  Even if you give rocks, trees, or sand edible tags, they won't get eaten.

Even though people have been known to eat dirt here in the real world...

But in DF no distinction is made between eating something that gives you nutrition, and other things that don't. There is only eating for nutrition. So far.

And some varieties of dirt actually have nutritional value.

!

Well if DF ever starts making distinctions between different amounts of nutrition in different food, then this would be an awesome "stave off famine for a short time" mod. Currently I think it would be a bit broken. A pile of dirt should not have the same amount of nutrition as say an ostrich egg.

Idea! Modding in a workshop and reactions to proccess clay into an edible item type! To the Raws!

idgarad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2011, 09:44:18 am »

I am all for candy on the condition that dwarves can get a disease called obesity from eating nothing but candy.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2011, 09:44:58 am »

I am all for candy on the condition that dwarves can get a disease called obesity from eating nothing but candy.

What about Diabetes?

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2011, 09:55:20 am »

What about Diabetes?

Have you read some of the dwarf profiles? They already get rather obese. Also - how in the heck would you model diabetes in DF?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2011, 09:57:54 am »

What about Diabetes?

Have you read some of the dwarf profiles? They already get rather obese. Also - how in the heck would you model diabetes in DF?

Yeah, I read the profiles. It's fun to see what things they like.

A syndrome that causes the victim's pancreas to be impaired? Along with dizziness? And have tha symptoms never end?

Assassinfox

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
    • Raging at the Box
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2011, 01:25:15 pm »

A syndrome that causes the victim's pancreas to be impaired? Along with dizziness? And have tha symptoms never end?

Yoinking that for my candyland mod.  ;)

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2011, 01:26:02 pm »

Yay! I'm useful!

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2011, 07:13:23 pm »

Yay! I'm useful!

I can't remember, can syndromes be cumulative? If so, then a small amount of candy may not do much, but living off of only candy...
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
[/quote]

Assassinfox

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
    • Raging at the Box
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2011, 08:08:30 pm »

I can't remember, can syndromes be cumulative? If so, then a small amount of candy may not do much, but living off of only candy...

Come to think of it, can syndromes be ingested?  I've never heard anything about people creating poisons.  I figured everyone would be serving their nobles fugu for dinner if it were possible.  :D

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2011, 10:06:19 pm »

I.... think syndromes can't be ingested. But I'm not 100% sure.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2011, 10:26:46 pm »

I'm pretty sure there's an example in vanilla with gnomeblight. It's just that you can't get gnomes to ingest it yet.
[/quote]

Assassinfox

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
    • Raging at the Box
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2011, 10:32:47 pm »

I thought gnomeblight was a contact poison.  The wiki says you can pull some crazy glitching to spill the stuff on the gnomes and make them dissolve.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2011, 11:20:21 pm »

Forbid the gnomeblight, dump the barrel, it falls out, so yeah.  Gnomeblight is contact.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2011, 11:22:41 pm »

Seriyu is correct in his assertion that ingested syndromes don't work anyway.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2011, 11:30:06 pm »

Aw...

I'm feeling kind of conflicted about the fact that we figured out how to make candy, and I'm sad that it can't be made poisonous.
[/quote]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4