Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bees; Post game tips here!  (Read 3483 times)

Dragonchampion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bees; Post game tips here!
« on: February 20, 2011, 01:06:23 am »

Bit new to bees, but just found out that you can build them underground, channel otu the tile above them, and put a grate over it and it registers as outdoor access.  :P

Anyone else found out any interesting facts about them?

Diakron

• Bay Watcher
  • Death Before Dishonor
    • View Profile
Re: Bees; Post game tips here!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 01:09:38 am »

There was a lot of talk about weaponizing Bees, apperantly you can tell them to be put in a cage and release them on command.
Back to Mafia with me!

noob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 01:13:26 am »

they multiply your fortress value by over 9000 percent
LOSING IS FUN!

Diakron

• Bay Watcher
  • Death Before Dishonor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 01:46:08 am »

so bee=early attacks... yay?
Back to Mafia with me!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 01:48:50 am »

Don't make beehives if you don't want ambushes.  You can get 1st summer ambushes due to beehives, their value is so high.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 01:58:46 am »

There was a lot of talk about weaponizing Bees, apperantly you can tell them to be put in a cage and release them on command.

If you put bees in a cage, a vulture/buzzard/bear/raccoon/rhesus/etc. will steal them for food.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 05:11:08 am »

If you put bees in a cage, a vulture/buzzard/bear/raccoon/rhesus/etc. will steal them for food.

YES! bees are cheap, and they can be used as decoys for foodstealing/itemstealing animals? AWESOME.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 08:12:51 am »

YES! bees are cheap, and they can be used as decoys for foodstealing/itemstealing animals? AWESOME.

A bee is cheap (value 2).  A HIVE has 10,000-20,000 bees, and raises your fortress value accordingly.

If your beekeeper gets stuck on 'Install Colony' and stands around in the great outdoors, check your hives.  't' will show which hives have bees.  Find the hive(s) that have no bees and turn off 'c', install hive.  Your beekeeper will get back to doing real work.  (he probably got interrupted while going to collect the hive).  Then turn install hive back on.

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 08:36:48 am »

A bee is cheap (value 2).  A HIVE has 10,000-20,000 bees, and raises your fortress value accordingly.

Well, yes. But that just means 10 000-20 000 decoys to me (and sieges. I know. Every silver lining has its cloud). I hate it when monkeys steal artifacts and stuff.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
[/quote]

Neopolis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 08:40:23 am »

Surround the hives with cage traps spike traps.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 08:44:47 am »

Surround the hives with cage traps spike traps killer bees.

my solution.
[/quote]

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, 08:56:30 am »

Err, I mean a bee has a value of 1.  It only counts as 2 because its value shows up under 'Displayed' and 'Other Objects'.

And Flaede, vultures and other 'curious beast:eater' types will grab the whole hive at once.  They don't target individual bees, thankfully.  If they did, your dwarfs would probably have to install the colony 1 bee at a time, and nobody would ever have honey.

I wonder if kobolds will steal hives?  A hive will be worth more than most artifacts, so kobolds and raccoons should be as interested in them as vultures.

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 09:01:16 am »

the whole... seriously? Ok. that's terrible. So much for decoy bees.
[/quote]

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2011, 10:13:51 am »

Oh god, not the bees!  :P
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2011, 11:24:11 am »

I dont know what i'm doing wrong, but I've never been able to get any honey out of a beehive. I get royal jelly and wax, but that's it. And I keep getting lots of "job canceled: item lost or destroyed" spam.
Pages: [1] 2