Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: .18 strange issue - Dwarfs will not perform mining desginations  (Read 445 times)

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
.18 strange issue - Dwarfs will not perform mining desginations
« on: February 19, 2011, 06:56:06 pm »

I genned a world with lots of surface-level volcanos.

I embark near one. Suddenly, some murky pools spill into the volcano . . . yes, it's a bit of an odd embark. There are reports of layers collapsing, and . . . somehow, my dwarfs striking mica and other minerals. I have not even set mining designations yet. My FPS is low due to the spilling.

I set mining designations. Picks are with me. Not forbidden. No burrows. ALL dwarves are set to the mining labor. I literally have just embarked, NO time has passed in game except for some strange collapsing notices which are due to murky pools meeting magma. They won't perform any mining designations at all. Not even removing ramps.

Is there an explanation for this? I've saved, restarted my computer and loaded the save and they still won't mine a thing.

EDIT: Okay, nevermind. I can't find the picks even though they're showing up on the stocks screen. They've . . . vanished?! no, they're right there. Picks are in plain sight. The dwarves won't pick them up and start mining. They will pick them us as weapons, but not to use as tools.

Further testing: the dwarves will build objects but will not carry out any designations involving picking up objects to use them. No tree-cutting either, they won't pick up their totally free to grab axes and use them. They'll gather plants though?! They didn't lose their arms somehow, no injuries either.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 07:10:55 pm by plisskin »
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: .18 strange issue - Dwarfs will not perform mining desginations
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 08:07:25 pm »

i've similar issue with magma caused bush fire.
basically magam spilled on ground, causing grass to burn.
and when fire ceased and magma evaporated, dwarves refuse to step on the tiles magma used to be.

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 08:38:44 pm »

and when fire ceased and magma evaporated, dwarves refuse to step on the tiles magma used to be.

I just re-embarked, but it was completely bizarre. If anyone can tell me why this might happen in the future I am all ears eyes.
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 09:32:46 pm »

I just re-embarked, but it was completely bizarre. If anyone can tell me why this might happen in the future I am all ears eye s.

Fix'd
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 09:34:53 pm by Buttery_Mess »
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.