Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Not having the same experience others seem to be...  (Read 1762 times)

Magnut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Not having the same experience others seem to be...
« on: February 19, 2011, 06:45:49 pm »

First, I know that .19 is a first release on a new arc, and that things haven't been ironed out.  I get it, this isn't a complaint post by any means.

I just am not having some of the same experiences others are (it would seem) and I want to see if it's something I'm doing.

1. Eggs aren't edible.  I read other posts about cooking them, but I can do a thing with them.  They don't show up in the kitchen menu, they don't get cooked into meals even though they sit in the food stockpile.

2. Glazed clay pots just sit in the kiln after being glazed.  I made around 20, the dwarves used one to store fish in, and the rest just sit.  Before glazing, they'd be collected in a Finished Goods -> Tools stockpile, but after glazing they won't. 

3. Animals I buy from caravans no longer show up in the animals menu - which means they can't be butchered or put up for adoption.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Not having the same experience others seem to be...
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 06:56:40 pm »

1) Eggs are slightly wonky, but I've reliably gotten a cook to make meals with them.  I didn't check the Z Kitchen menu, but I know it worked with eggs that were in a food stockpile.

2) This is normal.  Pots and jugs are bugged right now.  They're mostly not used for food, but when they are a pot can hold like a dozen pages worth of food, making it a quantum stockpile in itself.  This is bugged and will hopefully be tweaked in future releases.

3) No idea.

Enjoy your odd-numbered release.  They've historically been broken, according to other players.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 07:03:01 pm »

Enjoy your odd-numbered release.  They've historically been broken, according to other players.

Only since 31.01... Or rather, even-numbered releases are typically "hotfix" releases.  Toady tends to basically throw out new things which aren't terribly heavily playtested to let us players playtest it for him.  (It's more efficient that way, anyway.)  Then, he hears what major bugs are in the last release, and spends a few days fixing the new bugs the last changes created.

Hence, you have a buggy odd-numbered release followed by a less-buggy even-numbered release before Toady goes and tries to tweak something again in the next odd-numbered release.  It's gotten so routine that people who don't like to experiment or be the willing playtesters don't bother downloading odd-numbered releases.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 07:10:40 pm »

It's gotten so routine that people who don't like to experiment or be the willing playtesters don't bother downloading odd-numbered releases.

Which is bad because then bugs just stay in the game b/c there are less testers.
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 07:23:59 pm »

Nah, plenty people are vocal.  Don't expect DF to ever seriously lack for bugfinders.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 07:31:57 pm »

Much of the game's humor comes from the amusing bugs.

Speaking of which, I've been trying to duplicate the bug I spotted where vultures stole live bees from a hive. So far, I haven't had any success, because none of the [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER] animals will appear on the map when I start test forts. I don't want to report it as a real bug until I can repeat/verify it. Help?

original post:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=77431.msg1986874#msg1986874

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 07:35:34 pm »

Change the frequency for these animals to [FREQUENCY:100] if it's not already.  Employ squads of archers as needed to force new animal spawns.

Diakron

• Bay Watcher
  • Death Before Dishonor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 01:34:04 am »

2. Glazed clay pots just sit in the kiln after being glazed.  I made around 20, the dwarves used one to store fish in, and the rest just sit.  Before glazing, they'd be collected in a Finished Goods -> Tools stockpile, but after glazing they won't. 

Not many people pay attention but you will only have one container being actively filled at a time in a stockpile. they will add a second, empty container to work on next, but will not add to it till EVERYTHING else is full. Couple that with ungodly storage capacity of pots and empty barrels (barrels are used first, i think... might try some experiments on this)) it becomes hard to fill everything.
Back to Mafia with me!

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 01:37:02 am »

Solved stolen bees- it turns out that buzzards and vultures steal "live vermin" from cages, even if said vermin is [10000] bees or a single rat. This also applies to other [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER] animals.

I'm reporting this one now on the bug tracker.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 01:37:24 am »

This is right.  Bins and Barrels are always added if you allow that stockpile to use them.  A stockpile will always attempt to have an empty storage device, so a bar stockpile with 50 bars, will have 5 full bins and 1 empty one.  With 45 bars, it'll have 4 full bins, 1 half full, and 1 empty.  Same goes for food.

Since jars are essentially quantum, this means they'll pretty much never have a second one added, and you'll have a lot still in the kiln or finished goods pile.  Try turning "Mix Food" off, to encourage more prodigious use of pots/barrels.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 02:37:34 am »

3. Animals I buy from caravans no longer show up in the animals menu - which means they can't be butchered or put up for adoption.

im still playin .18 and this happens to me ALL THE TIME.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, 02:44:27 am »

Do you mean "Buy" or "Acquire"?

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Cage#Bugs

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 02:51:37 am »

BUY for certain.
this raccoon is out of the cage and wandering around the fort, he just aint on my animals list.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2011, 02:56:54 am »

I've noticed this when a cage is recovered from a dead caravan.  Goblin ambush kills the elves, leaves 'coon cages around.  Released, the raccoons aren't very useful, as they can only be caged and chained (thus, disposable sentinels) however any creature legitimately purchased from a caravan will work as intended.  Perhaps it matters if the seller leaves the map alive?

arzzult

• Bay Watcher
  • This statement is false.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2011, 03:00:44 am »

Speaking of bugs could some one try to verify this one a I found? If a bee keeper get interrupted while trying to collect a hive, say by a wild mountain goat, the hive will disappear but he will try to resume the collection and go back to the spot the hive disappear at and be stuck there. You can unstuck him by canceling the order though.
I just realized two things. 1. For the Win and F___ the World have the same initials. 2. They have the same meaning in Dwarf Fortress.
Pages: [1] 2