Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Egg Laying Dwarfs?  (Read 1372 times)

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Egg Laying Dwarfs?
« on: February 19, 2011, 05:39:07 pm »

Wil they eat their babys?

"Urist has been quite content recently. She has lost a child to tragegty recently. He has enjoyed a truly dedacant meal recently."

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Egg Laying Dwarfs?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 05:51:44 pm »

they'll eat their eggs, but they don't consider them their offspring until they hatch. FYI, they won't hatch unless the egglayer is married.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

ThrowerOfStones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Alea Iacta Est
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 05:53:38 pm »

Do female dwarves do nothing but squat on nest boxes all day?
The dead do not respond to context.
Pencil and Paper Blog Ahoy!

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 05:55:15 pm »

Only in their free time. They'll claim a nest box, lay eggs, squat until a job or hunger/thirst crops up, and then run off to take care of it and return whenever they're idle.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 06:29:53 pm »

Basically, the egg box becomes their new meeting zone.  If they're doing something, they'll do it, otherwise they default to the egg-box until the egg hatches or they realize there's no eggs anymore.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 06:31:06 pm »

But do they actuly hatch into babby?

personofshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 06:38:38 pm »

This topic should not exist

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 06:39:27 pm »

But do they actuly hatch into babby?
Yes, yes they do.

This topic should not exist
Yes, yes it should.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 06:46:00 pm »

The fact that they hatch ONLY after being married contradicts spore theory.

Why, a floating spore would not be able to penetrate the outer shell of the egg, the egg would remain unfertilized forever, and probably get eaten. Thus I must propose a revised theory for dwarven reproduction.

Through evolution, a male dwarves beard has become symbiotic with a form of burrowing insect, he releases the spores/semen/fertilizer into his beard, it then combines with one of the insects. With a swift scratch of the beard, he drops over 100 insects at a time, which then crawl throughout the caverns until they find an egg, burrow through the shell, and fertilize.

And I also suggest fertilizer bug be added as a vermin in dwarf fortress.

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 06:55:15 pm »

The fact that they hatch ONLY after being married contradicts spore theory.

Why, a floating spore would not be able to penetrate the outer shell of the egg, the egg would remain unfertilized forever, and probably get eaten. Thus I must propose a revised theory for dwarven reproduction.

Have you no faith in the bizarre strength of Dwarf Spores?
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 06:58:00 pm »

I dunno, those spores can drill through solid steel walls and a woman's own belly to impregnate her.  A mere eggshell is naught but paper in the face of such a spore!

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2011, 07:04:25 pm »

I dunno, those spores can drill through solid steel walls and a woman's own belly to impregnate her.  A mere eggshell is naught but paper in the face of such a spore!

Aye, it was foolish of me to propose otherwise.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2011, 07:16:16 pm »

Spore theory still applies to eggs.  The thing is that civilized races have a special means of reproduction through their quantum spores that ensures females remain infertile except to the spores of mates which have gone through a special spore-alignment ceremony that they call "marriage".  This "marriage ceremony" permanently aligns the spores of the male to be able to bypass the defenses of a female, and can only be performed once for both partners, even after one partner has been dead for decades. 

This alignment ceremony obviously only affects the way in which the male can transmit spores to be recieved by the reproductive organs of the female, because it means that previously unfertilized eggs can suddenly be fertilized, even years after the female laid those eggs.

Night creatures are an odd but interesting exception.  Night creatures alter the bodies of their mates in such a way that their spores can even "forget" their usually-permanent alignment, and can become re-aligned through a new ceremony, although this night creature alteration is obviously too horrific for even dwarven !!SCIENCE!! to attempt further study through the means dwarven psychopaths scientists myteriously call "the raws".
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare