Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Retroactive Export Bans  (Read 1002 times)

Haruspex_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Retroactive Export Bans
« on: February 19, 2011, 02:39:37 pm »

First time encountering this, kind of annoyed. Is there any hope at all that it will be changed to something a little more logical? Two dorfs are going to jail because the baron just had to set a ban after trading was done. And I've had nothing but bad experiences with the jailing system (my experience with beatings is worse though).

Since the Caravan Arc is under way, there should be some attempt to rectify this situation. Yes, that's a bit of a leap. I'm just that irritated.

Magentawolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Retroactive Export Bans
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 02:47:36 pm »

Well, if you go back to the caravan before they leave, you actually can 'retrade' the banned items back, and you won't be punished for it.

So, you traded them a bin of shields, and then the Baroness bans the export... as long as you buy those shields back before the caravan goes home, you'll be alright.

Haruspex_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 02:50:59 pm »

I only found that out after looking up "mandates" on the wiki. But by then the punishment had already been given. At least I learned something new...

Diakron

• Bay Watcher
  • Death Before Dishonor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 01:48:22 am »

if you trade (the about to be) banned items, the infraction takes place the moment it leaves the map.
Back to Mafia with me!

malroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 03:20:32 am »

Golden chains marked for justice next to a food stockpile, waterfall and masterwork bed. Single purposely crippled migrant for your fortress guard, armed only with a featherwood training mace.  Justice now makes everybody happy, and trains your doctors purposely crippling the guard.
Why couldn't my vampire Hammerer eat someone useless, like a migrant? Instead, she went after my only gemcutter.. but sadly there were no witnesses, so I convicted someone's pet duck as the murderer.  It got off easy, with no beatings or jail time.  >.<

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 03:54:22 am »

Well, if you go back to the caravan before they leave, you actually can 'retrade' the banned items back, and you won't be punished for it.

So, you traded them a bin of shields, and then the Baroness bans the export... as long as you buy those shields back before the caravan goes home, you'll be alright.

...unless the mandate was given after they'd started packing up.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 04:29:41 am »

...unless the mandate was given after they'd started packing up.

This is why I try to remember their most common mandates / likes / dislikes.  But, just in case, I have about a dozen golden chains in engraved rooms with nice beds, booze and food stockpiles.

There's also a floodgate at the entrance to seal everyone in (or out) in case of prison riots.  I guess I got used to them demanding such things in 40d.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Nekudotayim

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARF_ALIGNMENT:EVIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 06:23:03 am »

Golden chains marked for justice next to a food stockpile, waterfall and masterwork bed. Single purposely crippled migrant for your fortress guard, armed only with a featherwood training mace.  Justice now makes everybody happy, and trains your doctors purposely crippling the guard.

Also chained dorfs can only move in a 3x3 rectangle. So build a bed, a table, a chair, a food stockpile and 2 drink stockpiles in that room. You can mark the door of that room as inside too, so they will admire it as well. It's described like that in the wiki too.
Once upon a time there was a dwarf. Then he died. The End.

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 07:20:27 am »

mod in training hammer.
and make it from feather wood.
nobles are random.
the only bourgeois solution is dumping them in magma.