Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Friendly bandits?  (Read 1494 times)

Rallan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Friendly bandits?
« on: February 19, 2011, 10:58:01 am »

So I get a quest to take out some goblin bandits, and when I turn up I get asked if I really want to attack them (alt+y to confirm etc) as if they were friendly units. Even the warlord who'd been named as the target of my quest was counted as friendly. So while my companions set about massacring everyone (and then proceeded to get wiped out by the goblin Warlord after she'd lost all her bandits) I had a friendly chat with the goblins. Things I learned:

- you can recruit them. My party was maxed out already though, so I dunno if that would have saved them or not
- you can't recruit warlords, just like you can't recruit regular lords.
- they can give you quests, including quests against other bandit camps. The warlord said she didn't need my services though.
- they think of their own camp as their capital.
- once they leave the sector that their camp's in, they answer everything with "Ask me when I get back to my home"

Anyone else ever have this happen? Only explanation I can think of is that since I was playing an outsider rather than a member of a nation, my dude might not automatically be hostile to any of the goblin nations yet.

Rallan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Friendly bandits?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 10:59:10 am »

Oh and one other thing. When I saved and quit at the camp it gave me the "Retire (or rest for a while) as a peasant" option as if I'd logged out in a friendly town.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 12:43:58 pm »

Oh and one other thing. When I saved and quit at the camp it gave me the "Retire (or rest for a while) as a peasant" option as if I'd logged out in a friendly town.

I'd be cool if this was a feature, and if you retired with friendly bandits, your adventurer would become a bandit.

Jiharo

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 03:16:33 pm »

Was it in the beginning of your character's career? If he has already slaim some megabeasts/night creatures he may be renowned enough that bandits "respect him for heroic acts."
I have seen reverse of that situation in 31.17 when one of companions who got a lot of kills turned neutral to goblin party and hanged around watching the rest of player's party getting slaughtered.
All your goblin bone bolts, suddenly rising up in vengeance...
I wonder ... is it smart amunition or dumb amunition?

Deadly Lamarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 05:30:51 pm »

With the caravan arc we'll presumably be able to track down and rob caravans, so why not join bandits while we're at it?
Sometimes you succeed in your goals and sometimes you and everyone around you is murdered by a gigantic spider.

C'est la vie

I'm walking crawling across the continent looking for a crutch. Story shortened, horse ate my foot.

Rallan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 11:03:11 pm »

Was it in the beginning of your character's career? If he has already slaim some megabeasts/night creatures he may be renowned enough that bandits "respect him for heroic acts."
I have seen reverse of that situation in 31.17 when one of companions who got a lot of kills turned neutral to goblin party and hanged around watching the rest of player's party getting slaughtered.

That could be it. It's near the start of my guy's career (he only has enough respect to have 11 companions), but most of the work he'd done to get there had been night creatures and trolls rather than bandits.

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 11:50:36 am »

I once had a warlord give me a quest to kill him  :P
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 06:29:28 pm »

I think that's due to a similar phenomenon that causes dwarvish nobles to punish themselves.
In-game, at least.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Rallan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 05:12:55 am »

Well he is the warlord of the nearest bandit camp to himself, so he's gonna be weighted pretty damn strongly towards picking himself as one of his quest requests :D

Assassinfox

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
    • Raging at the Box
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 09:56:38 pm »

Once, I ran into a group of friendly goblins, so I asked them to join me.  At my next destination, I discovered that even though my goblin companions were fine with me, they were not okay with my human companions, so the two groups were attacking each other.  I decided to stick with my human friends, and took a swing at one of the goblins.  This, caused my human companions to think something along the lines of "He's attacking his own comrades!  Our leader has gone insane and must be put down!"  So, ALL my companions turned on me, and then the human civ my two human comrades belonged to turned hostile to me, completely ruining any chance my adventurer had of peaceful interaction in that pocket world.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 03:15:14 pm »

So while my companions set about massacring everyone (and then proceeded to get wiped out by the goblin Warlord after she'd lost all her bandits)
My party was maxed out already though, so I dunno if that would have saved them or not

They were all dead, yet your party was maxed out?
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".