Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magma Sea at Z-Level -4? (Spoilers)  (Read 1228 times)

Greader

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Magma Sea at Z-Level -4? (Spoilers)
« on: February 19, 2011, 10:35:35 am »

(I hope the magma sea isn't considered as a spoiler)
I think I have an interesting bug here. After some searching I finally found a site which I liked, and as soon as I started digging down to make my fortess, I found the magma sea. I don't know if I screwed something up in the parameters or if it is an bug, but not only is the magma at Z-Level -4 but also I found some of the shiny blue metal down there.

I am having some trouble figuring out how to post screenshots, so if anyone can help me on that, that would be nice, because then I could upload some pictures of the site.

There is something that is also interesting about that site. I tried digging down the adamantine shaft and even after 20 Z-levels beyond the magma sea I still haven't dug deep enough to find the fun (I decided to just dig down, since with the magma sea that near to the surface I wouldn't have much room for a fortress.). Another interesting thing about that is, that it goes down to Z-level -116, meaning that I could get an incredible amount of adamantine.

I will report later how much I can dig down, If the magma sea were at least a little bit deeper so I can actually make a fort in the ground, this would be perfect.

By the way, I forgot to pause while writing this, and now 3 of my seven dwarves are dead, thanks to skeletal horses.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Magma Sea at Z-Level -4? (Spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 11:36:52 am »

Are you sure it's the magma sea and not just a magma vent?  Are there any cavern layers?  At what level is ground level?  On many maps my surface is on level ~50 with the third cavern being -10 or so and the sea at -50, or something like that.  Or do you mean that the sea is 4 levels below the surface?

What version of the game is this, and was it a custom world or a quick world?

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 11:37:23 am »

If the magma sea was considered a spoiler you pretty much spoiled it by putting it in your thread title...
btw: it isn't a spoiler, and no I haven't read more than 10 words of your thread :)

ThrowerOfStones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Alea Iacta Est
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 11:41:24 am »

Did you get rid of caverns in your parameters, by any chance?

Sounds like a more playable version of the adamantine spire bug, to me, actually.
The dead do not respond to context.
Pencil and Paper Blog Ahoy!

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 11:42:40 am »

If the magma sea was considered a spoiler you pretty much spoiled it by putting it in your thread title...
btw: it isn't a spoiler, and no I haven't read more than 10 words of your thread :)
If you had, you would have noticed mentions of what most players consider a spoiler... y'know... spoilerite.  ::)
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 01:02:07 pm »

I am now playing a map where the underworld's top is on z lvl 5 for half the map, and z lvl 18 for the other half. The magma sea and (almost) all caverns collect to the underworld, meaning that whenever an underground creature spawns the demons fly over to kill it. The site finder said that there would be deep metal, but that seems to have been removed by the risen underworld.

If I never do find any other metal, how should I handle spoilerite? Should I have my proficient metal/weapon crafters sue it as is, or should I hope for a mood?
Soaplent green is goblins!

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 02:55:20 pm »

If I never do find any other metal, how should I handle spoilerite? Should I have my proficient metal/weapon crafters sue it as is, or should I hope for a mood?
Honestly, don't expect a mood. Even after discovering it in .18, I don't remember any moody armorer/weaponcrafter using it as the main component. Craft it into armors, axes, swords and spears, and if you're lucky, you may get a nice wearable artifact, too.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Greader

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 04:13:02 pm »

I am playing 31.19. The magma-sea is 4 Z-Level under the surface. It is a world where I changed some parameters, but I haven't changed it so that the magma-sea should be that close to the surface. There were no caves, or at least I haven't found a cave. And lastly, I am sure that it is the magma-sea, since it has molten rock there and it is formed like the magma-sea.

So, I guess it is a bug, since I checked the parameters I changed and there should have been one cave.

Maybe it is something like these bugs where the magma-sea is above ground only that this time it was only created almost on the surface.

LilGunmanX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 04:33:25 pm »

Honestly, don't expect a mood. Even after discovering it in .18, I don't remember any moody armorer/weaponcrafter using it as the main component. Craft it into armors, axes, swords and spears, and if you're lucky, you may get a nice wearable artifact, too.

That's because I've noticed a pattern when dwarves are creating artifacts. When a dwarf is deciding what to make and what to make it out of, he'll usually use materials which he likes to create an item which he likes. For instance, if you have a dwarf who likes gold and battle axes, he'll probably try to make a gold battle axe if you have the right materials and the workshop. I noticed that the chance of making an item that he likes is higher if he is of a profession which could typically make those items (ie: if a weaponsmith who likes gold and battle axes claims a weaponsmith's workshop and grabs a bar of gold, there's almost a 100% guarantee that he's making a battle axe.)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 06:21:58 pm »

Sometimes, during the generation of the world, Armok is sober.  In his altered state, he doesn't stand up to his quality, and simply hashes a world together at nigh-random.  This is how the freak-worlds are generated, and this is how the forum comes a-buzz with "seed plz".

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 06:25:30 pm »

I've never been lucky with these, most armorers/weaponsmiths I've had made equipment regardless of their personal preferences. Not saying it never happens, but I've yet to find a spoilerite-lover make something else than a pretty copper sword in my fort.  :'(

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2011, 06:47:42 pm »

You can determine what the artifact-maker uses by directing them to materials.  Mass-forbidding via the Z Stock menu will let you leave just one material available, in case you want that blue axe, or you want an ever-burning lignite scepter.  At least, this is how I always get my platinum and ever-burning artifacts.  I'm not sure about the type, never taken note of preferences of the creator.