Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dump Disaster!  (Read 535 times)

Fishy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dump Disaster!
« on: February 19, 2011, 08:16:42 am »

So after several hours, I've got the basics of DF down and start a fresh fortress. I decide to try a garbage dump to offload my wagon, and everything goes wrong.

I did the d-b-d to set the wagon as dumpable, then used i-enter-g to make a dump. I can see the little dump icon. Then the dwarves just sit there. I told a couple to go mine and they started, but then someone came and took their picks and dumped them.

I tried unforbidding them, and mass-reclaiming them, and removing the dump, and retrying everything in different ways but they still wont dump the wagon or pick up the picks again.

I'm going mad!

Please someone tell me what's going wrong!

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
Re: Dump Disaster!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 08:32:01 am »

Well you really don't want to just dump the contents in the first place...
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Fishy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 08:38:29 am »

I was using a guide on the wiki that said this was a good way to simply designate a group of stuff to be taken to a specific location.

I wanted the wagon offloaded up a hill, so the dump and garbage thing was supposed to just get it all emptied onto one tile further up, where i would then reclaim it. I'm fine with abandoning that plan, I'd just like to get at the picks really.

No idea why it's not working anyway though.

ShattererOfWorlds

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 09:03:41 am »

Use q-x to deconstruct the wagon, then use your dumping method to move the stuff?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 11:17:10 am »

You need to turn collection of refuse from outside on.  Press 'o', then 'r', then 'o'.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 11:28:09 am »

I don't recommend dumping food. If your dwarfs are going to be moving things around, they should move things to appropriate stockpiles. I mention food because it will spoil rather quickly if it's not in the wagon or in a food stockpile.

o -> r -> o is also correct for allowing things to be (d)umped outdoors.