Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: lcs in 3d  (Read 6390 times)

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: lcs in 3d
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2011, 08:39:11 pm »

Was quoting a quote pyramid and offering nothing in response your goal, or are you merely confirming the contents of the quotations?

I mean seriously, claiming that you want to use a non-existent lite version of a proprietary physics engine as if it were a rendering engine to create a 3D version of a text based adventure game?

This isn't just wrong, it's fractally wrong.
!!&!!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2011, 09:03:49 pm »

Was quoting a quote pyramid and offering nothing in response your goal, or are you merely confirming the contents of the quotations?
Actually, he just fail-quoted and typed into a quote. Look for the first level of text in the last level of quote.

Anyway, ryan, I'd recommend you try to get capitalization and quoting right (but ESPECIALLY capitalization) so that everyone won't look at you like you're an idiot or a 12 year old (or something to that extent). And maybe even add commas and apostrophes. I'm serious, the way you're posting doesn't help you at all. Take your time on your posts, this is a forum, most threads don't have posts every ten seconds.

Also, you really should answer all the questions people asked. Like this one, because it's really important to answer or no one will take you seriously:
How much programming experience have you had?
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2011, 05:52:20 pm »

What I would recommend doing is taking an existing 3d shooters and modding it to be LCS.  The half life engine strikes me as a very likely candidate but there are a lot of engines that could be adapted to this purpose. The orange box is currently going for $30 on steam and he might already own it anyways so we aren't talking about a huge amount of overhead.  Many 3d shooters already have the potential to add events which could be used to simulate the LCS non-raid style.  If you are making a 3d shooter, I imagine that you want to make things more focused on the shooting and stealth and minimize the other stuff.

Alternatively, if you want to focus on the non-violent aspects, you could consider using something like Warcraft 3 and adapting it to your purposes.  Several mods already exist to turn Warcraft 3 into a sim game or a FPS and you could use something akin to those to allow for the flexibility of a fairly open and quite easy to learn programming language in organizing the non raid stuff.

But most importantly, either of these ideas would save you lots of time.  You could have a very basic release with some content out in a matter of weeks by adapting an existing engine whereas writing your own would take months before it would even begin to pay off.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2011, 07:25:26 pm »

I mean seriously, claiming that you want to use a non-existent lite version of a proprietary physics engine as if it were a rendering engine to create a 3D version of a text based adventure game?

This isn't just wrong, it's fractally wrong.

This is exactly what I was thinking but you said it first. Boo.

Anyway, I think it's a great idea, ryan, but regardless of how many people you think you can hire, there's about a negative forty percent chance of you being able to do this.

1) Havok isn't a game engine, or a graphics engine, or even a logic engine.
2) You don't have anything to show.
3) You may have programmed before, but don't seem to particularly understand what goes into these sorts of things.
4) If you think you can just "outsource" work without anything of your own to show of topic creators who create topics like these with grand ideas (and I'm not directly bashing you here, I was once this way, too, before I really became a programming), that's pitiful. I would help you, but I don't have any faith in this project, or idea, as done by you (though I think it might be doable by other forum regulars).

Of course you might be trolling us but this also goes for anyone who has a wonderful, upstart game idea and doesn't understand game development or the work that goes into it.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2011, 09:52:41 pm »

Frankly, I'd rather that he try and fail pathetically then have you guys discourage him to never try.  The first step to learning something is having impossible dreams.  Why not encourage him towards realistic means of accomplishing his goal like I did instead of smugly rubbing it in how much better you are then him when both of you are just sitting on your asses?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2011, 10:01:58 pm »

Frankly, I'd rather that he try and fail pathetically then have you guys discourage him to never try.  The first step to learning something is having impossible dreams.  Why not encourage him towards realistic means of accomplishing his goal like I did instead of smugly rubbing it in how much better you are then him when both of you are just sitting on your asses?

This is a great idea. I don't think anyone is actually rubbing it in about how much better they are (except maybe Deon) but everyone, including me, is being harsh and just sitting on their asses, like you said. Having him try and fail is definitely a good solution.

However, I wouldn't recommend he try and fail to do this, like you're suggesting. Starting a big project and getting your hopes and dreams crushed when the project is just a hobby can much more easily make your want to ragequit the hobby. Better to start small. Work his way up, eh? Then when he knows enough, and has his dreams crushed by getting caught in a snag, he can just work through it, bit by bit. I think that counts as "encouraging him towards realistic means of accomplishing his goal".

Of course this still might be a troll thread so all of our points might be void.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2011, 10:02:24 pm »

Ill put in a positive response in the wild hope the guy is legit.   Go get em tiger.
  I recently met a flash programmer whose work I love, turned out he was a 13 yo autistic kid.  You can imagine the quality of some of his forum posts.
Even if he is a kid with no skills there is a fair chance he will at least have a crack.  If he is a troll then just dont feed the bastard.
   Ill also back up mainiac and say the hammer world editor that comes with the orange box is a good option if you cant program.  I cant and I managed to make a working jailbreak map for tf2 in a weekend just using youtube tutes.  While I dont think LCS is really possible with it,  something clever that is fun to play wouldnt be in genius territory, just a bit of hard work and some good ideas.
  edit.  You post on tactics gives me a bit of hope, punctuation is overrated.  The tactic is sound as hell, I used to use it alot
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 10:10:36 pm by jester »
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2011, 10:17:38 pm »

What I would recommend doing is taking an existing 3d shooters and modding it to be LCS.

But most importantly, either of these ideas would save you lots of time.  You could have a very basic release with some content out in a matter of weeks by adapting an existing engine whereas writing your own would take months before it would even begin to pay off.
This, this, a thousand times this.

Overgrowth, a game by several indie developers with a few smaller but still complete 3D games under their belts. They started the engine in May/June 2005. It's now 2011, and they're still adding features. If you are a solo developer and not in fact a team of dozens of very talented programmers with thousands of hours individual experience programming graphics and game engines, it will take years for you to get to a workable point.

Make it easy on yourself and use an engine like HL2's, which is designed from the ground up to support modification.

Quote from: mainiac
Definitely. What he wants to do is doable, but it will take a lot of hard work with no immediate pay-off. But if you shy away from it because of that, you're putting a huge portion of possible achievements out of your reach.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2011, 06:40:01 pm »

This is a great idea. I don't think anyone is actually rubbing it in about how much better they are (except maybe Deon) but everyone, including me, is being harsh and just sitting on their asses, like you said. Having him try and fail is definitely a good solution.
(Almost) no one here is being harsh and sitting on their asses. I'm more than willing to help a beginning programmer, and so is most everyone else here. The problem is that the only reply to any of our comments he's posted so far is this (hidden inside a failquote):
anything else or did you just came to troll on a idea yes an IDEA before you shoot me down completely. I'm not asking for money or any handouts I've not done anything because it's an idea and I thought it was a good idea
No one's trolling, trying to shoot you down, or bashing your ideas. I and most others in this thread are here to help you and give a fair critique of your ideas. The problem that still hasn't been resolved is that we still don't know what those ideas are. Answer our questions, respond to our comments in something other than the type of language that makes you look like a near-illiterate six-year-old. If you really don't know what you're doing, we can help. If you can't properly communicate with us, we can't. It's as simple as that.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2011, 06:59:33 pm »

Really, I'm just in this thread (I don't play LCS much even though a 3D version might be fun) to watch/participate in the only online discussion I've ever seen where someone with a great upstart idea, no idea how to accomplish it, and no communication skills actually gets criticized and/or offered real advice. B12 is the only forum I've seen where people like ryan display nothing and then get shot down, unlike forums where twelve year olds (which ryan is not necessarily) present a great idea to other twelve year olds, get no help (only discussion about "hlp i dnt no hw to do ths" and then "no way urgramer is afal lrn2 b cool" and then "(twelve year old curse word, whatever it may be) u (a million exclaimation points)" and so on until it culminates in nothing happening).

I gotta agree with gatleos too in that I would like to know what these ideas are, too. How would LCS be implemented in 3D? I would imagine something along the lines of Gearhead 2, just in 3D -- the game has the fundamental framework for those kinds of missions  (or just freeform/organized liberal ravaging like in LCS), and the graphics could be adapted to whatever you want them to be -- including, if that means it, 3D. I think the biggest challenge would be visually presenting all of the incredible list of interactions that could happen when you send a liberal to do something, or just the long list of end results. LCS works well because the visualization, other than text, is in the user's head -- we've probably all lived long enough to fill in the holes here and there.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2011, 01:06:15 am »

1) Please brush up on your English skills Ryan.
2) You sound like a pretty green dev. Anyhow, even if you can pull this off, it will probably shoddy. Try smaller projects first and slowly work up to this one.
Hello Hunam

Mahou Shoujo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2011, 05:17:38 pm »

Wow, you guys really told him. That'll teach ryan for posting on the forum or, god forbid, coming up with ideas.

Nice posts, maniac. You said pretty much everything that I wanted to, but I thought I'd try weighing in too, for whatever it's worth.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2011, 05:32:09 pm »

Wow, you guys really told him. That'll teach ryan for posting on the forum or, god forbid, coming up with ideas.

Nice posts, maniac. You said pretty much everything that I wanted to, but I thought I'd try weighing in too, for whatever it's worth.
I'd agree completely if I weren't 100% convinced that he was a troll at this point.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2011, 05:39:59 pm »

I'd agree completely if I weren't 100% convinced that he was a troll at this point.

I have a thing about people accusing others of being a troll, and you've done it twice now. It's name-calling and it accuses someone of posting in bad faith. If someone is being disruptive, use the report to moderator button. If you don't think they're acting in good faith, ignore the thread. If you can't stand their capitalization and spelling, ignore the thread. Saying you think a person is a troll is disruptive, unconstructive, and rude. It degrades the quality of discussion, derails threads, and hurts the forum community.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2011, 05:51:50 pm »

I have a thing about people accusing others of being a troll, and you've done it twice now. It's name-calling and it accuses someone of posting in bad faith. If someone is being disruptive, use the report to moderator button. If you don't think they're acting in good faith, ignore the thread. If you can't stand their capitalization and spelling, ignore the thread. Saying you think a person is a troll is disruptive, unconstructive, and rude. It degrades the quality of discussion, derails threads, and hurts the forum community.
I really don't mean to sound like a jerk, this thread is just frustrating me to no end. A whole bunch of people around the forum came here to give this guy help, and he hasn't given a single coherent response to any of it. Either we scared him out of his mind and he's afraid to post, or he enjoys our frustration.

Still, I'm sorry. Calling him a troll may have been out of line, but there really aren't many other explanations at this point. If it bothers you I won't bring it up again.
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4