Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My Second Squad Keeps Disbanding  (Read 675 times)

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My Second Squad Keeps Disbanding
« on: February 19, 2011, 04:57:59 am »

I have two squads. Squad one is behaving normally. I assigned squad two normally, they're archers, custom uniform (nothing weird - metal armor + crossbows), normal ammo load. There are sufficient xbows and quivers for them.

I name a leader, assign the squad, attach them to a dormitory and to archery ranges. I come back three seconds later, and my military screen shows squad 2 is empty, "vacant" leader, empty slots for all the squad members. The actual squad two members don't show in the list of assignable dwarves for squad 2; they do appear for squad 1, as you would expect.

Here's what's really weird - about half of the squad, 4 to 6 of them, appear to be still in the squad. That is, on the "u" screen they show as doing combat drills, on the "s" screen there's a 4 or 5 or 6-dwarf squad available, they follow orders if assigned.

This is .18. Nothing unusual in any of my deployments or settings.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
Re: My Second Squad Keeps Disbanding
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 09:43:38 am »

did you by any chance load a different fort? There's an issue with military data not cleaning up properly if you dont reboot Dwarf Fortress.exe.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

niltrias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gaijinninjas.com
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 09:55:03 am »

Related question:
When I set the minimum squad to train to 1, then hit shift+enter...it moves me back to the previous screen, but doesn't change the squad minumium to one.  I tried with all numbers 1-10, same result.  I'm probably missing something small and stupid, but still....
Gero! Gero! Bwahahahaha!

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 12:19:04 pm »

did you by any chance load a different fort? There's an issue with military data not cleaning up properly if you dont reboot Dwarf Fortress.exe.

I bet that's it. I had lost a previous fortress (see the Facepalm thread) and didn't exit before I started another one. Thanks.

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 02:39:36 pm »

Related question:
When I set the minimum squad to train to 1, then hit shift+enter...it moves me back to the previous screen, but doesn't change the squad minumium to one.  I tried with all numbers 1-10, same result.  I'm probably missing something small and stupid, but still....

I have this problem a lot, and I never can remember how I get around it. 

This post was helpful and necessary.
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

niltrias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gaijinninjas.com
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 01:20:29 am »

Not the most helpful, but I feel a bit less stupid knowing I'm not alone, anyway :)
Gero! Gero! Bwahahahaha!