Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: am i doing it wrong? or did i figure something out?  (Read 3005 times)

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
am i doing it wrong? or did i figure something out?
« on: February 19, 2011, 12:13:03 am »

everyone keeps talking about how "without magma, you can never really get away from burning trees into coal" or "as long as you've got iron and lots of trees, you've got all the steel you need"

am i silly for bringing a bar of coke with me on embark and just using that to do the whole thing off?
i havent so much as built a wood furnace in my last 3 or 4 embarks.

what am i missing?
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: am i doing it wrong? or did i figure something out?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 12:19:32 am »

I always do charcoal, because it's quick, easy, and my only practical use for wood.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 12:21:32 am »

By which I assume you mean that you've mined some coal after embarking? If I'm not mistaken, what people are talking about is the apparently severe drop in the availability of bituminous coal or lignite on most embark sites. Personally, having tried four fortresses in the latest version, I have not seen any bituminous coal or lignite available either from my parent civilization or at the locations I've embarked. This does severely hamper any metal industries that may be started when you find ore.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 12:50:02 am »

I always do charcoal, because it's quick, easy, and my only practical use for wood.

What do you make beds from, then, if you have no other use for wood?
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 12:55:41 am »

everyone keeps talking about how "without magma, you can never really get away from burning trees into coal" or "as long as you've got iron and lots of trees, you've got all the steel you need"

am i silly for bringing a bar of coke with me on embark and just using that to do the whole thing off?

what am i missing?

The possibility that you'll lose track and use up all your coke on smelting and forging, and not have a bar left over to fuel the 'make coal' job. Which wouldn't be the end of the world, cut down two trees and build a wood furnace and you're good to go again.

noob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 01:06:51 am »

^magma

What do you make beds from, then, if you have no other use for wood?
moody dwarfs
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 01:08:22 am by noob »
LOSING IS FUN!

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 04:16:51 am »

Real dwarves sleep on cavern floors. The snobby ones insist on smoothed floors.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 02:37:08 pm »

what am i missing?

The possibility that you'll lose track and use up all your coke on smelting and forging, and not have a bar left over to fuel the 'make coal' job. Which wouldn't be the end of the world, cut down two trees and build a wood furnace and you're good to go again.
did that once, now, the second bit of coke i smelt up, gets placed in a locked room and forbidden, just in case.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 03:56:31 pm »

did that once, now, the second bit of coke i smelt up, gets placed in a locked room and forbidden, just in case.

"No, Urist! Not that lump of coal! That's the emergency backup coal!"

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 06:14:38 pm »

I'd build a temple for it...

Coincidentally, I'm fond of making walls out of coke.  It stores it away, cannot be burned or misplaced, cannot be accidentally used, and building destroyers can't touch it.  In emergency, deconstruct the wall.  I also do this with gold and steel, to lock it away until I wanna use it, but don't want it cluttering my building material selection.

Urist McBusDriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 06:18:01 pm »

Coincidentally, I'm fond of making walls out of coke.  It stores it away, cannot be burned or misplaced, cannot be accidentally used, and building destroyers can't touch it.  In emergency, deconstruct the wall.  I also do this with gold and steel, to lock it away until I wanna use it, but don't want it cluttering my building material selection.
You, sir, win an Internet.

I wish I could do that with seeds. I think I just cooked my last Sweet Pod seeds.
Of course, since he doesn't actually walk around counting things, we can only assume that bookkeeping time is spent in deep meditation, psychically sensing exactly how many piles of orthoclase there are. It takes a while to hone a skill like that.

Diakron

• Bay Watcher
  • Death Before Dishonor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, 01:36:30 am »

Effing GENIUS!

Gotta remember that!
Back to Mafia with me!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 01:40:11 am »

Z -> Kitchen -> Sweet Pod Seeds.
Cook?  Turn OFF.

I don't cook any of my plants, especially sweet pods, cave wheat, pig tails, etc.  Those, can be processed.  One sweet pod can be used to cook, or one sweet pod can be milled into sugar and seeds, the seeds replanted and the sugar cooked.  Keep a good quern or millstone active if you want a good sweet pod industry.

Diakron

• Bay Watcher
  • Death Before Dishonor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2011, 01:43:56 am »

i cook pulp helmets when i get my cave wheat and longland grass up. by that time, I'd have 500-1000 pulps anyways, just keep one sack o' seed to regrow when they are all gone.
Back to Mafia with me!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2011, 01:47:49 am »

Sweet Pods are always my preferred.  Non-edible, millable, and brewable.  So dwarves won't eat the stuff while they're dehydrating, and they can be easily done into sugar meals, which makes me wonder about dwarven candy?
Pages: [1] 2