Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Deepdungeons  (Read 2576 times)

Lord Zack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Deepdungeons
« on: February 18, 2011, 10:06:17 pm »

On the side of a frozen mountain, Kokeb Edir, the Dweller of Dungeons began it's work. They're goal was to build the greatest dungeon complex known to dwarfdom. After one and a half years they are ready to begin...

I have created a fortress for the purpose of building the greatest dungeon I possibly can. The fortress is well underway so I've decided it's time to work on the rest of the dungeon. Now I have to decide what to put in my dungeon. I'm definitely putting in a crypt/catacomb area. I want many distinct areas containing unique treasures and dangers. I want to have some kind of "Upper Works", a surface area that is an entrance to the dungeon. I'm leaning towards either a castle or a temple of some kind (perhaps to Armok himself...) I'm thinking of deliberately flooding an area using the aquifer that exists in this area.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Deepdungeons
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 10:17:05 pm »

Go wild with it.  Pay particular attention to statues and engravings.  Prepare to cast obsidian repeatedly in order to get an ideal engraving you want.  DFHack would help with re-casting easily, so you end up with a wall of engravings, each depicting an elf dying.  Statues about a goddess of chaos are bonus.  I'd also suggest making a sort of "caged demon" thing, and have all the defenses facing inwards where there's eventually some horrid beasts chained on an altar, kept inside by an entire fortress.

I heard about a castle in Europe, somewhere in the Romania area I wanna say, or something like that.  In the middle of the castle is a heavy bulkhead that covers a deep, DEEP hole.  All of the battlements face inwards, and all of the vulnerable parts are placed on the outside, as if the fort were designed to keep the pit's occupants locked inside...

Also, mazes, chained animals, strange water flows (pressure plates are your friend) and ominous statues.  Make it such that anyone would love to go back in adventure mode.  Keep in mind that you can somewhat safely place things inside a heavy bin (like lead or platinum, maybe even slade if you wanna get raw-moddy) and it'll very likely remain in the location when you abandon the fort.  So, you can make bins of weapons and armor and valuable things, for an adventurer to find where you want.  Coins too!

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 10:41:46 pm »

I heard about a castle in Europe, somewhere in the Romania area I wanna say, or something like that.  In the middle of the castle is a heavy bulkhead that covers a deep, DEEP hole.  All of the battlements face inwards, and all of the vulnerable parts are placed on the outside, as if the fort were designed to keep the pit's occupants locked inside...

dibs

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

xeivous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 10:59:07 pm »

The more insane and elaborate the entire structure is, the better.

Lord Zack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 07:52:12 am »

Insane and elaborate are definitely both priorities.

I'm thinking of to start with putting a castle near the top of the mountains in my map, connected to the fortifications surrounding my fortress proper. Under that will be storage areas, vaults for treasure and a prison area. Down in the valley will be a great temple with vaults for offerings to the gods. Then after I've got all that done I'll think about what to put deeper.

PwndJa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 10:07:52 am »

While we're on this topic: If I crack open HFS to explore in Adv mode, will the Adv world flood with all of those demons? It wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, but depending on the actual number(If it isn't infinite) it's possible for them to destroy the entire world...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 11:33:36 am »

I think they'll only hang around the actual fortress location.  If you breach HFS in one fort, and then embark elsewhere on the world, there's no HFS there.  For the most part what happens in a fort stays at the fort, because world-wide interaction is admittedly lacking (which is something the Caravan Arc is helping with).

Lord Zack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 01:14:10 pm »

I'm in the process of expanding the crypts due to a recent attack by a Forgotten Beast. I plan on creating memorial hall honoring all who fell, and entombing some treasures with them, with defenses to protect them, of course.

PwndJa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 02:19:24 pm »

I think they'll only hang around the actual fortress location.  If you breach HFS in one fort, and then embark elsewhere on the world, there's no HFS there.  For the most part what happens in a fort stays at the fort, because world-wide interaction is admittedly lacking (which is something the Caravan Arc is helping with).

Awesome. Clown citadel megaproject here I come.

Lord Zack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 02:41:30 pm »

I might have to reclaim...

PwndJa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 02:54:49 pm »

No shame in reclaiming.

Lord Zack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2011, 03:02:41 pm »

I have a serious tantrum spiral going on.

Lord Zack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2011, 04:28:38 pm »

Fortunately it seems to be over now. Unfortunately I lost many dwarves, including a legendary miner and a legendary engraver. So I've been set back a bit.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2011, 06:19:20 pm »

If you want cheap labor, which you probably do if you're only interested in completion, go into the raws, particular reactions_other and reactions_smelter.  Pick one that you don't use much, such as "make bismuth bronze" or some other rarely-used reaction.  Remove the reagent and product tokens from it, and change it to [SKILL:MINING]

Doing this, you can go to the smelter (or other structure if you modded it different) and perform this action for free mining exp, and get a legendary+5 in about a year if set on /R.  The method applies to any and all skill types, as well, so you can train up any skill if you want quick cheap legendary labor.  Just be sure to edit the save file's raw, not the default game raw.  The former will change the existing game, the latter will change any future games.

Lord Zack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2011, 06:59:29 pm »

I have commenced construction of a great temple! This temple will consist of large (3x3) marble pillars holding up a large roof, with a magma pool and an altar for sacrifices (using magma of course), mostly of PoWs and various goods. Other goods will be stored underneath the temple guarded by various traps and other hazards. The temple will have a great tunnel down to near the magma sea, which will have a secondary sanctuary.
Pages: [1] 2