Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Fortress choked out with resources and goods.  (Read 3839 times)

Rallan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress choked out with resources and goods.
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2011, 11:57:08 pm »

Gratuitous projects that take up stupid amounts of space just don't appeal to me...I don't know...I might just fortify everything, I don't know. bleh, I just hate the construction system for walls, floors and fortifications...dang it I just wanna draw a line 300 squares long!!!! :-/

Redecorate the caverns. Hollow out all the columns in them and build bedrooms with windows. Wall off underground farms. Build elaborate structures that hang from the walls halfway up the caves. It'll keep a large chunk of your dwarves busy with construction programs, give you more storage space, and potentially cause a drastic rise in employment opportunities as you start replacing dwarfs who get maimed and killed by Forgotten Beasts.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2011, 12:09:24 am »

2-3k per bin? You're spamming cheap stonecrafts with your otherwise-idlers and complaining about being swamped? You don't need to think about construction megaprojects, diversify your industry and focus on decorations. The cloth industry (grow your own raw materials), the clear glass industry, the glazed clay industry, the cheese industry, the soap industry - these are the industries that take up much more labour per item and then you spend more labour to make each item better without increasing weight. Then you can sit back and read the descriptions of what items you've created. The industry path's megaprojects are about trying to decorate a single item so much it's worth 100k+ (without ever using the spoiler metal) and has a 6 page long description.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2011, 03:10:36 am »

I usually max out the caravans;

I misread that as 'max out the caverns', and that inspired me to embark on a Dwarven Holiday Camp in the deepest caverns to avoid boredom when I reach that stage.  Pity I reread it, now, come to think of it...

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Makigall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2011, 06:08:26 am »

My latest fortress I've been getting rid of stone by turning it all into blocks and building barracks outside along my wall.  A simply 10x20 3 story building will use up around 400 stone if you put a roof on it.  And keep people occupied moving rocks and blocks.  And gets some legendary masons really fast.  I think between my wall and my two buildings I've used something like 2000 rock salt blocks.  The big change in thinking I made was to consider what comes from different uses of stone.  If I make crafts I create 3 items from 1, which to me is creating clutter.  If I make that same stone into a block and then build something the stone goes away and I get extra space to work with, which reduces clutter.

I think the next big challenge to fighting cluttered fortresses is to figure out exactly how big to make my fields so I don't end up swimming in crops.  Although I think I might go a different route and set up food stockpiles for each crop so it becomes impossible to get swamped in any one crop.
Pages: 1 [2]