Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Ways to make ceramics lethal...  (Read 8995 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Ways to make ceramics lethal...
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2011, 06:15:53 am »

They slice better than steel, but are brittle: They would be perfect to kill an unarmed, unarmored foe, but would break if you hit someone on his shield or if your opponent parry with good old steel.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Ethicalfive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2011, 06:27:56 am »

*sighs* your right. Ceramic swords arn't even possible with current ceramic processes, let alone pre-13/1400ad ceramics.

Still, ceramic swords would look pretty damn cool before they shattered to peices on some gobbo's bones.
Urist McMiner Unearths a strange pad. He trembles as he inspects it's time saving features. Knowing no 1 dwarf must posess this power, he quietly drops it into the nearest chasm and never speaks of it again.DwarfPad

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2011, 06:28:19 am »

Yea, there are ceramic knifes in real life, they do very well, harder then most metals, and therefor require less sharpening. Did you also know there are ceramics that conduct far better then metal are notibly low temperatures? Ceramic is a very wide term these days, and just because dwarfs can make a few types of ceramic dosn't mean they can preoduce the type used for knives.

If I were to weaponise ceramics , I would mod in clay golems and make then tamable, with the trainable tag.

yaklin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2011, 07:20:07 am »

They also make bullet resistant armor out of ceramic plates.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2011, 07:24:05 am »

Yup. That or find some way to make clay grenade. I'm seeing this with some kind of grande-laucher weapons (could be a fire proof gloves) with special ammo made out of clay and oil that deal fire damage.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

NSQuote

• Bay Watcher
  • used Confusion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2011, 10:03:47 am »

Would some kind of clay armor work? Like clay body armor or a clay combat suit.

It wouldn't match metal weapons, but at least it would provide alternate body protection for maps with no metal.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2011, 01:09:23 pm »

I cannot imagine pottery as an effective armor.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2011, 01:11:39 pm »

I'm pretty sure wearing pottery would be bad idea. The only realistic thing I can think of is using it as a gernade to launch fire, lime, live snakes, bee hives and such, but I doubt that would work in game.
Memento Mori

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2011, 01:23:18 pm »

Maybe straw and clay shields?

xeivous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2011, 01:35:01 pm »

I cannot imagine pottery as an effective armor.
A series of small plates woven into a vest.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2011, 02:23:05 pm »

Well, it would be really heavy and break easily. Much like sewing rocks into your vests.

xeivous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2011, 02:25:27 pm »

Well, it would be really heavy and break easily. Much like sewing rocks into your vests.
well if it works for bullets, it'll work for bolts..

probably...

Urist McBusDriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2011, 03:08:10 pm »

Isn't the idea behind bulletproof vests that they only need to work once? The bullet expends its energy shattering the ceramic plates, then you throw away the vest and get a new one from the quartermaster's stores.

The wikipedia page for ceramic knives say they're suitable for use with boneless meat. Useful against a gelatinous cube perhaps?
Of course, since he doesn't actually walk around counting things, we can only assume that bookkeeping time is spent in deep meditation, psychically sensing exactly how many piles of orthoclase there are. It takes a while to hone a skill like that.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2011, 03:10:11 pm »

Realistically, a ceramic blade of any kind would be really terrible. Something as long as a sword would be extremely fragile, and even a dagger would chip and break very very easily.

Keep in mind that modern ceramic knives are not made from the same materials as the kind we're talking about, and that combat is a lot less predictable than using a knife in a kitchen to cut bread.

So yeah, trying to figure this out from a realistic angle doesn't get you much except "it won't work".
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

xeivous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2011, 03:22:04 pm »

Realistically, a ceramic blade of any kind would be really terrible. Something as long as a sword would be extremely fragile, and even a dagger would chip and break very very easily.

Keep in mind that modern ceramic knives are not made from the same materials as the kind we're talking about, and that combat is a lot less predictable than using a knife in a kitchen to cut bread.

So yeah, trying to figure this out from a realistic angle doesn't get you much except "it won't work".
Dwarves have been known to just go "Fuck logic" and make shit work that shouldn't work.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6