Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Expeditions - your fortress also can send 7 brave dwarves  (Read 852 times)

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
Expeditions - your fortress also can send 7 brave dwarves
« on: February 18, 2011, 06:35:48 pm »

It would be nice to make your fortress able to send expeditions (like this one that started your fort). And it would be even better to make it to have real effect.

*I am suggesting this mainly due to strange fact that all my fort are like: dwarves in, coffins (filled) out.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Expeditions - your fortress also can send 7 brave dwarves
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 06:59:22 pm »

I'm pretty sure this sort of thing is already planned by Toady.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 05:27:49 am »

Ops. I failed searching. Where it is listed?
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 12:07:23 pm »

Hmmm... I'm having trouble coming up with a good search term for it, myself, (terms like "embark" or "fortress" bring up far too many hits to be really useful, and I can't remember what specific terms Toady used for it to search for,) but I can recall reading Toady talking about how he wanted the starting dwarves to be able to come from existing dwarven populations, not just magical appeared-from-nowhere dwarves, and that the ability to pull from old forts would be something he wanted to do.  He's also talked about sending out your own little "villages" that can send back resources, the way that villages do now to send back food to cities.

As for "Dwarves in, Coffins out" (technically, the coffins don't leave, either,) I am absolutely sure that Toady has referred to dwarves being able to decide to leave your fort if they hate it enough, or there is too little room, since that came up in an answering session on Future of the Fortress when I was active.  (Although I'm having trouble finding that one, specifically, as well... My search-fu has grown rusty and weak, apparently.)

EDIT:
I tried to incorporate it into a suggestion I made earlier, which tried to take these things already proposed a little further.  If you don't mind the blowing my own horn, it's one of those me-suggestions that tries to go out ahead into longer-term, broader ideas, and I incorporated a few different suggestions into it.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 12:14:08 pm by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 08:52:31 pm »

IIRC such a thing is planned.

You will be able to have off map outposts, perhaps something like a mining camp that can send resources to your fortress that you lack.

bryceharrington

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 01:48:39 am »

Maybe 'Fortress Starting Scenarios' mentioned on http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev.html ?

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev_single.html is outdated but has mention of a "County Arc" which sounds relevant.

Anyway, I've been thinking it'd be nifty once you've played a fortress for a couple years, to start another fortress nearby and have the second one be able to leverage the first in some fashion...  trade goods, military support, etc.  So you might establish a couple small forts in good mining locations, which feed iron and food to your citadel fort stationed above a critical pass in the mountains which is strategically important and frequently attacked but lacks much natural resources...

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 02:15:55 am »

Locking as " The Dev Team Thinks Of Everything".