Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What animals do you embark with?  (Read 2471 times)

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
What animals do you embark with?
« on: February 18, 2011, 05:38:07 pm »

I usually embark with three animals:
Female hunting dog (to accompany my hunter/fisherdwarf)
Male war dog (for my woodcutter, who moonlights as an axedwarf if something comes up)
Female cat (for vermin, and eventual inexhaustible supply of kitten steaks)

What about YOU?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: What animals do you embark with?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 05:40:57 pm »

Male dog and female dog.  Train them on site, it costs half as much embark points, and costs you one piece of lumber/stone and a few seconds to train it.  I also modded in a "watcher" creature that's essentially an eye and digestive track, made to spot ambushes and thieves, but get slaughtered if they get too close to a hard substance.  .19 I'm taking beacocks and sheep/goats.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 05:42:58 pm »

On my only serious .19 embark I took goats, rabbits and ducks. Though rabbits breed like crazy.  :P I may go for sheep next time.
Memento Mori

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 05:47:56 pm »

On my most recent .19, chickens. Tons of them. I'll never need food again. Which is quite sad. After taming countless turkeys and getting my hand on a breeding pair of geese I now have several dozen geese, turkey, chicken and duck eggs around, plus about 4 turkeys, 3 ducks, 3 geese, and about 20 hens. :D I've not even killed any of them or anything. In fact the only 2 casualties have been the horse and water buffalo which refused to eat enough grass and died.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 05:56:59 pm »

You know, that is a point - it's weird that one hen can produce more food (each season, or is it month?) just by sitting on a nest box than if you butchered her and used her whole body for food. They only cost 6 points to embark with too.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 05:59:00 pm »

.19 I'm taking beacocks and sheep/goats.

Was that a typo of peacocks, or did you mod in something crazy hybrid bee-creature?   :o
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 06:00:35 pm »

that was peacock, but now that you mention it...

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 06:02:11 pm »

that was peacock, but now that you mention it...

My first modding project shall be an enormous grazing bird that lays eggs, can be butchered for fourteen horns, and has a hive that produces strawberry mead and fresh soap from its walls.

Or not, but it'd be fun.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 06:09:24 pm »

Normally just male and female untrained dogs. Then I chain them up in the entrance hall to stop thieves. After that I rely on migrants and caravans to bring cats and anything else.

Haven't messed with eggs, except for a brief experiment with viscous wild ducks. Seems like the standard methods of food production are still easy enough that I have plenty of food if I head for those first. Overall I don't care much about animals on embark. They don't seem that important.

Ferrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 06:22:03 pm »

I like dangerous sites, so I usually take a male and female wardog to help out my one swordsdwarf when needed.

AngelaChristine

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2011, 06:30:26 pm »

1 male dog, 6 female dogs.  Everyone gets the animal training labor enabled, and the very first thing they do is build 7 kennels, and each train 1 guardian wardog who will then follow them around for the rest of their lives, but not have the downsides of pets.  That usually takes 2-3 game days, but makes it much less likely that one of my initial 7 dwarfs will bite it early in the game.

This last time I took 5 hens, 1 rooster, 2 ewes and a ram too.  So many eggs. 

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2011, 06:33:51 pm »

I embark with two female dogs and a male. They are trained on-site as war dogs by my militia-dwarf, and two get chained up by the entrance while the last one continues to tag along after its trainer. For the longest time, I used to bring a female cat as well, but vermin aren't such a big nuisance IMO so I now save the points for something else and rely on migrants and traders to bring me a kitty or three.

That's in 31.18 and previous.

In 31.19, it'll be a really tough choice with all the interesting new beasties. A breeding pair of chickens (or ducks, or geese, or ...) is a must. I'd like to bring a wool-producer too but I don't expect I'll have enough points left over.

UberNube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2011, 07:36:55 pm »

... I'd like to bring a wool-producer too but I don't expect I'll have enough points left over.

Meh, just wait till your first goblin ambush and have some cage traps ready. Plenty of goblin wool for everyone!
This guy gets it, the problem with the child torture dungeon is that they weren't set on fire first.

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2011, 01:00:54 am »

On .18 I embark with a male cat to prevent early vermin infestations and one or two female meat animals - cow, or cow + donkey.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2011, 01:30:13 am »

Two hunting dogs, two war dogs and a tomcat. My woodcutter and fisherdwarf get a war dog each, since they spend most of their time a good distance from the fortress. The two hunting dogs, as you might imagine, go to my hunter. They seldom get any actual kills since .31; their main purpose is to distract an adversary for long enough to gain a decent head-start, and maybe take down the odd snatcher.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!
Pages: [1] 2