Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: The .19 Appreciation Thread  (Read 7073 times)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: The .19 Appreciation Thread
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2011, 09:51:22 pm »

* Cat Herding - You can actually herd cats onto a pasture!  Cats might be useful for once, to keep them near your food stockpiles so they protect them from vermin without wandering all over the place.  Just beware their hypnosis.
I have to admit that pretty well owns.
Mandatory link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_MaJDK3VNE

NSQuote

• Bay Watcher
  • used Confusion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2011, 11:24:46 pm »

Being able to farm the soil layers without irrigation.

There are no words.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2011, 12:42:51 am »

Baby hives, that was my idea. :D

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2011, 12:53:26 am »

Baby hives, that was my idea. :D

Did that work?  The last person to answer that linked me to where they hatched a dwarf from an egg (err, actually, I think it was a custom draconian race, but whatever; I'm sure there could be dwarf eggs, too).

But yeah, hilarious  :D
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Unfrozen Caveman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2011, 01:33:45 am »

Now we just need heart attacks.  Eggs in high-choloesterol diet is the new fort killer!

Please read this.  Eggs are a perfectly wonderful food for humans.  I won't get into it more cuz it's so O/T, but smart people (can't imagine a non-smart DF player) need to know this stuff.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2011, 02:32:27 am »

Somebody needs to try and pull this off now that we have sheep.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2011, 02:39:23 am »

Being able to farm the soil layers without irrigation.

There are no words.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Ethicalfive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2011, 03:54:24 am »

I remember the long clay posts(some modable suggestions on how to add it) and had many users having a cry about how it wouldn't bring anything new to the game, unneeded etc

So, thankyou Toady for that great addition to .19

And to all you clay haters of yester-year:
HA HA HA, HA HA HA, HA HA HA!!
Toady just owned you all!

Ahhh.. No sweeter victory than having Toady shove this feature up their asses :D
Urist McMiner Unearths a strange pad. He trembles as he inspects it's time saving features. Knowing no 1 dwarf must posess this power, he quietly drops it into the nearest chasm and never speaks of it again.DwarfPad

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2011, 04:26:46 am »

Sure why not. The ceramics and pottery are blowing my mind. especially the ability to turn clay into pots that can be used like barrels. no more preserving wood in my fortress.

This is something I've been looking forward to for a long time. I love playing low-tree maps, and this gives an entirely new way of doing so without having to ration wood between barrels, bins, and beds. Basically, one more set of detail to lean/mind, and one less thing to actually worry about - a completely fair trade, imo.

The site finding filter feature (say that 10 times fast) which displays all hits on the map. I also like the more vague representation of what's available (and would like it better as an option ;)).

I'm still not 100% sure how I feel about some of the changes that have been made, but it makes me really happy that toady is looking at it, regardless of what the end result is.

I can farm on soil without flooding the place. I LOVE YOU .19!!!

I agree - although I'd kind of gotten used to that aspect of DF2010, I'm glad to see that we've come full circle and it's now no longer required. Also, I hope that in addition to the eggs and bees and grazing that have added so much to that aspect of agriculture/food, we'll also eventually see both more crops as well as more complex farming. Honestly, farming and food management/cooking is one of my favorite parts of the game, so this was a great update for me (although I'm still working on my old .18 fort, so I haven't done much more than dabbled in this newest release).
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2011, 04:49:45 am »

Regarding using pots as barrels, I can use them as food storage fine but I've not been able to brew drinks using pots. Has anyone managed to put booze in these pots instead of barrels?
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2011, 04:53:51 am »

I can farm on soil without flooding the place. I LOVE YOU .19!!!

I liked flooding. 

clay, bees, eggs and pastures all look really promising.  I'm waiting to update until more of the utilities and graphics are compatible though.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2011, 04:54:52 am »

Regarding using pots as barrels, I can use them as food storage fine but I've not been able to brew drinks using pots. Has anyone managed to put booze in these pots instead of barrels?

They must be glazed.
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2011, 05:20:36 am »

The lack of metal has one glorious upside:
You don't get a mineral vein you want mined out (ie; gold) passing through a designation as long as you make the designation on a level that doesn't have any minerals to dig into.

I can actually dig a fortress out without having to piss around with constructions on every floor, wall, and ceiling, because i know when i'm digging in a 'worthless' mineral-devoid layer, there's nothing of value hidden away just waiting to be hit like a land mine to my carefully laid designs.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2011, 05:22:16 am »

I want a mod where you can toss in dozens of rocks and get 1-3 ores of your choosing.

If someone could make that (I'm hopeless when it comes to mods) I'd love them forever and ever and ever.
YOU DOUBLE PENIS

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2011, 06:25:32 am »

So far I like the bees/honey/clay  I made a clay loam medical hut with earthenware bricks for the floor, with a clay loam fortification for a window.   Right now testing if building a farmers workshop inside a pasture with the milkables will stop causing the tug-of-war when you move a critter and another dwarf is like "BACK TO THE PASTURE YOU" ignoring the other dwarf doing his work.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6