Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Abaolutly bizzare bug  (Read 2194 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Abaolutly bizzare bug
« on: February 18, 2011, 03:05:22 pm »

I started as a human outsider with knife user as his highest skill.
He had no clothes, no backpack, no waterskin, no food-not even clothes! All he had was a copper spear and a large copper dagger.

Unplayable.

WTF?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
Re: Abaolutly bizzare bug
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 03:29:18 pm »

This isn't even remotely close to being a bug.

'Human outsider' means that your human doesn't belong to any civilization. Therefore none of the tags in the civilization raws apply to him, including all the tags which dictate what kind of equipment and materials members of that civ have access to. Toady coded in a special case which gives outsiders a free copper spear and dagger.

And outsiders totally are playable. You should level up ambushing and then you can go steal bags and equipment from bandit camps and sell the rest of their loot to buy other stuff.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 03:30:59 pm by Neoskel »
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Urist McUristy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 03:47:54 pm »

I don't see how this is a bug, or how it is unplayable...

Ale and Axes

• Bay Watcher
  • Chug - Swipe - Cheer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 08:26:43 pm »

Starting without a shield can make things dicey, but apart from that it's not really much worse than being a civilized character. Leather and cloth clothes don't give much protection from attacks (though the climate is another matter)

KarolineDianne

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorcerer of Chaos
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 08:36:27 pm »

Unplayable...? I'm afraid that's absolutely incorrect. I've had successful outsiders. You merely have to be more cautious, and make sure you get a bag/backpack/quiver as soon as possible so you can actually carry things.

It's essentially a 'hard mode', taking away the luxury of starting out with clothes and inventory space.
Urist McSlayerdwarf cancels live: Interrupted by Chaos Sorcerer

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 08:43:23 pm »

Especially considering the only hard part of adventure mode is the beginning before you have legendary dodge, shield user, and fighter skills. The main unplayable part was that it was impossible to train swimmer. But now you can pick skills, which makes it just the same as a regular peasant.
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

Deadly Lamarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 09:24:04 pm »

Yeah, choosing a demigod or hero instead of a peasant just means you spend less time training skills. Or dying fruitlessly, depending on your actions. I guess scars and missing limbs build character though.
Sometimes you succeed in your goals and sometimes you and everyone around you is murdered by a gigantic spider.

C'est la vie

I'm walking crawling across the continent looking for a crutch. Story shortened, horse ate my foot.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 12:09:44 am »

The main unplayable part was that it was impossible to train swimmer.

This is not true. You just need to find water with ramps at the edges. This includes lakes, and much easier to find, the ocean. You might need to hunt up and down the coast a little to find ramps, but they're pretty easy to find. Then just alt-move down the ramp, paddle around a little, alt-move back up a ramp to keep from drowning and repeat until you are a novice swimmer. Then you can swim around freely until you hit adequate when you won't need ramps anymore.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 09:56:14 am »

I seem to recall not gaining any swim skill when you're drowning. Or is that not the case?
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

minno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 10:32:21 am »

I seem to recall not gaining any swim skill when you're drowning. Or is that not the case?

It is not the case.  Last time I drowned I managed to get halfway to "adequate" before I died.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 02:51:24 pm »

No clothes or waterskin or food. And as to the unplayable...
No. Backpack.

And, FYI, it is a bug even if there is a justified coding reason. Otherwise there would not be any such thing as a bug.

Also, I think I had the same thing happen with a nation, but can't remember the specifics, so...yeah.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Liber celi

• Bay Watcher
  • council does your hair
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, 04:18:52 pm »

Yeah, so?

Deadly Lamarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 04:30:15 pm »

No clothes or waterskin or food. And as to the unplayable...
No. Backpack.

And, FYI, it is a bug even if there is a justified coding reason. Otherwise there would not be any such thing as a bug.

Also, I think I had the same thing happen with a nation, but can't remember the specifics, so...yeah.

You disliking a feature doesn't make it a bug. Maybe Toady will give outsiders default gear beyond a copper spear and knife some time in the future, but it's working as intended as far as anyone outside of the brothers Adams knows.

As for playability, you can steal backpacks or buy them using stuff you steal from bandits. Playing an outsider means you have to build up equipment similar to the way peasants have to build up skills. If you don't like this, make sure to gen a world where the race you want to play has an existent civ -- no one's making you play an outsider.
Sometimes you succeed in your goals and sometimes you and everyone around you is murdered by a gigantic spider.

C'est la vie

I'm walking crawling across the continent looking for a crutch. Story shortened, horse ate my foot.

Elaxter

• Bay Watcher
  • That one guy you don't know.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2011, 11:42:23 pm »

I started as a human outsider with knife user as his highest skill.
He is difficult  to play and that's why I think it's a bug

Unplayable.

Derp!

Is what I herd
Sig
You must kill yourself before you kills you.

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2011, 12:19:01 am »

Note that occasionally, since you don't belong to a civilization, bandit groups that ambush you (goblin bands, too) may be friendly! Not only that, but they won't even mind if you ransack their camp!

The toughest part of being an outsider is dealing with the lack of a backpack in the beginning, IMO.
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]
Pages: [1] 2