Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The ending.

You still rushed it.
Meh.
Great.
Bad writing. (Sorry, English as second language.)
It's... beautiful! T_T
I am GM\ I voted for this because I'm a smartass.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15

Author Topic: RollToKeepSanity:THE END!Achievements in last post.Taking next RTD suggestions!  (Read 15531 times)

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile

NO MORE PEOPLE ARE ACCEPTED IN THE WAITING LIST! THE GAME WILL END WHEN ONLY 2 PLAYERS ARE LEFT ALIVE!

Inspired by other RTDs, I decide to do an RTD of my own. The standard roll will be d12 -/+ modifiers :2 rounded up. To keep things different, the genre will be eldritch horror set a few years after World War II. You were all just living your lives and one day you wake up in an old medieval castle with no way out. That's all you need to know.
 We will have both health and sanity.
 Health will be dealt with realistically - wounds instead of hit points, medicine only treats smaller wounds, large wounds are harder to cure. Don't worry, I intend to kill everyone pretty quickly anyway.
 Sanity will work as a meter.

100-80 - Perfectly okay.
 50-79 - Stressed. Will have a -1 modifier for all rolls.
 20-49 - Scared. Will have a -1 modifier for all rolls and will have to take unnecessary rolls for small things like picking up items, opening doors, walking and etc.
 1-19 - Going insane. Will have a -1 modifier for all rolls, will have to take unnecessary rolls and will have hallucination which will further reduce your sanity as well as warp your vision of the surroundings.
 0 - Insane. The player loses. His character becomes an NPC under the GMs control which will attack other players.

Sanity can be lost by staying in the dark, getting wounded, seeing scary sights and etc. However the most dangerous sanity reducers are supernatural beings and forces which range from weak -10 sanity spirits, to horrible creatures from different dimensions which can easily reduce your sanity by 40 per turn.
 Ways to restore/protect sanity:

Relax. Takes a turn. Gives you only +15 sanity, but costs no items. Won't help scared or worse characters. Can't be done in darkness.
 Wash with cold water. Gives you +30 sanity, can only be done if you have/are near water. Won't help characters that are going insane.
 Herbal medicine. Gives you +50 sanity. Can be done by any characters, but consumes the item. Free action.
 Comfort. Needs to be done by another character. Raises the characters sanity to that of the comforter. won't help characters that are going insane.
 Potion of sanity. A very rare item that will give you +100 sanity. A life saver and one of the only ways to save characters that are going insane. Free action.
 Alcohol. For three turns the character is immune to sanity loss and doesn't suffer from any symptoms of insanity, but gets -2 to all rolls.

Light is critical to keep your sanity. In darkness you lose -10 sanity each turn and in dungeons (which are pitch black) you lose -30 sanity.
 Candles start as a "candle 2/2" item and melt 1 point per turn as you use them. They will protect you from the darkness, but won't help you in dungeons. Torches work the same, but last 4 turns.
 Lanterns are more useful items. For them to work, you need lantern oil which is rarer but unlike candles lasts 4 turns. Unlike candles, lanterns will light dungeons, which contain many eldritch scrolls, but also many paranormal forces.
 During the game you will be able to find eldritch scrolls from which you can learn spells. However both reading them and casting spells will reduce sanity, forcing the player to choose between sacrificing sanity to fight supernatural forces or trying to escape, but possibly losing more sanity.

Character skills:
 Archaeologist. +1 to reading eldritch scrolls/tomes. Casting spells takes 10 less sanity.
 Brave. Max sanity becomes 120.
 Medic. +1 to medicine rolls. Can heal large wounds. Can use fire to cauterize small cuts.
 Brute. +1 to combat and any rolls that require physical strength.
 Unbeliever. Takes rolls when seeing supernatural forces. Doesn't lose sanity if the roll is 6.
 Relaxed. Relaxing restores 10 more sanity.
 Realist. Doesn't lose sanity from darkness and can relax in darkness(dungeons don't count).
 Scavenger. +1 to searching.

Character flaws:
 Illiterate. -1 to reading eldritch scrolls/tomes. Casting spells takes 5 more sanity.
 Weak. -1 to combat and rolls that require physical strength.
 Believer. +10 sanity loss from supernatural forces.
 Nervous. Can't relax.
 Coward. Loses sanity due to darkness twice as fast (except dungeons). Takes 5 sanity damage per turn in dungeons in addition to the normal sanity loss, even with a lantern.
 Hasty. -1 to searching.
 Over-imaginative. Has hallucinations when scared, but not going insane. However hallucinations only reduce sanity when going insane.
 Fanatic. Dark forces communicate to the character. He has to take a roll each time he witnesses paranormal activity and if he rolls 1 or 2, he will be drawn to it.

Form:

Name:<Serious name and surname> (<forum user name>)
Appearance and bio:<Serious>
Skill:<1 skill>
Flaw:<1 flaw>
Sanity:<100/100 or 120/120 if you took the skill.>
Inventory:<Empty. You start without anything. Clothes don't count as items, they exist in your description. You have an unlimited amount of matches for simplicity. You can carry 5 or less items.>

Note: Don't try to be a smartass and take a skill and flaw which are opposite (like archaeologist and illiterate).

Players (5 slots, insane characters don't count):
Spoiler: Draignean (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: warhammer651 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Darvi (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: KaguroDraven (click to show/hide)

Dead:
-Wallace Johnson (Taricus) 60 points!
 Killed by a humanoid creature.
 Achievements:
-First to die (10 points. Self-explanatory.)
-Death by Mocking (20 points. Self-explanatory.)
-Bravery Kills (20 points. Fought when he could try running away.)
-Lazy (10 points.Did nothing useful.)

-Bob Smith (Krath) 50 points!
 Had his throat bitten by a mysterious beast.
 Achievements:
-Too dumb to live (20 points. Played the entire game as an oblivious idiot character.)
-Explorer (10 points. Was on dungeon level.)
-CHAAAAAAARGE! (10 points. Fought a creature like a REAL MAN.)
-Misfortune (10 points. Died due to a double -1 modifier. Ouch.)

Insane:
-Owain Jones (quip) 50 points!
 Went insane.
 Achievements:
-First to lose it. (30 points. INSANITY YAY!)
-Hint: Not a newspaper. (20 points. Tomes are not toys, kids.)

I know English as a second language and would like to get better at it, especially at storytelling. Feel free to criticize.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 02:55:32 am by tomas1297 »
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
Re: Roll To Keep Sanity. (5 slots open)
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 01:00:10 pm »

Name: Amelius (AM-AE-leeh-us) Blackthorn
Appearance and bio: Amelius is an archaeologist who many think has gone "A little over the hill". Prof. Blackthorn used to be an authority on relics that were linked to worship ceremonies. Recently though many have come to doubt his stability, he believes a little too much in what he's been digging up, and those who know him have confessed that he says he hears voices in his sleep telling him where to dig. Almost entirely white haired and wrinkled from the sun, no few scholars pity the 72 year old fading legend. Tan slacks, brown dress shoes, brown overcoat, white button-up shirt.
Skill: Archaeologist
Flaw: Fanatic
Sanity: 100/100
Inventory: Empty.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 01:27:14 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 01:03:43 pm »

Name:Wallace Johnson (Taricus)
Appearance and bio: young male in mid twenties, fair skinned, dark hair and green eyes. wearing a green long-sleeve shirt, brown pants and black sneakers.
Skill: Realist
Flaw:Over-imaginative
Sanity:<100/100>
Inventory:Empty
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 01:05:28 pm »

stuff
Oh, Taricus. Now were each others GMs. It's a small forum after all.
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll To Keep Sanity. (3/5 slots open)
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 01:06:08 pm »

Small forum indeed.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 01:22:42 pm »

Name:Christopher Haslag (Warhammer651)
Appearance and bio:Young, tall and lanky. Has attempted to grow a goatee but his facial hairs isn't really up to it. Wears A T-shirt (usually black or red) and Khakis
Skill:Unbeliever
Flaw:Over imaginative
Sanity:<100/100>
Inventory:<Empty. >
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Krath

• Bay Watcher
  • I dig giant robots.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 01:24:34 pm »

Name: Bob Smith (Krath)
Appearance and bio: Almost a cliche military drill sergeant, he's actually a trained field medic. Served in the military for 20 years as a medic before getting honorably discharged for seeing Nazis in his underpants. Wears a camouflaged military jacket with a white undershirt, green slacks and black boots. Always has a green cap on and a cigar in his mouth. Oh yeah.
Skill: Medic
Flaw: Weak
Jizzar sounds some kinda celestial object made of jizz~
Like a quasar or something~

quip

• Bay Watcher
  • ???
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 01:25:32 pm »

Reserving place- Stop ninjering me!
Name:Owain Jones (quip)
Appearance and bio: A Welsh slacker, thats about all he is, he never tried hard in school but learned just enough to get by- which is basically his philosiphy for life.
Skill:Relaxed
Flaw:Weak
Sanity:100/100
Inventory:Empty.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 01:28:08 pm by quip »
Hell hath no fury like an angry vampire pimp.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 01:27:17 pm »

Name: Wymar Sane (Darvi)
Appearace: Guy in his twenties, wears fleece jackets and a headband
Skill: Stoicism
Flaw: Inattentive

Damn you!

quip

• Bay Watcher
  • ???
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 01:29:01 pm »

Name: Wymar Sane (Darvi)
Appearace: Guy in his twenties, wears fleece jackets and a headband
Skill: Stoicism
Flaw: Inattentive

Damn you!
Don't blame me! This only had 2 slots taken when I found it!
Hell hath no fury like an angry vampire pimp.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2011, 01:29:49 pm »

So who gets to join? My post was finished before yours, but you ninjaed my by reserving.

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2011, 01:33:14 pm »

erased
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2011, 01:34:00 pm »

But without content. It's up to tomas to decide.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2011, 01:37:53 pm »

But without content. It's up to tomas to decide.

You also made up both your flaw and your skill. I don't think you're allowed to do that. So your form was improperly filled out first, but quip had his in first with the proper format.

eh. GM's play.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2011, 01:39:35 pm »

It really depends on how complex the system is. My rtd could handle a few more people provided the got their actions in a timly fashion.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15