Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: 31.19 - good or wait?  (Read 4391 times)

Immacolata

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
31.19 - good or wait?
« on: February 18, 2011, 11:54:28 am »

I last time played 31.16 and have had a few months break. 31.19 with its Bees and Caravans has me curious to go for another round of Fortress Mode, but is it advisable to wait for a lil' bugfixing before going at a new fortress, or are the issues "minor niggles" that won't make you restart your fortress all the time?

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 31.19 - good or wait?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 11:58:18 am »

The only bug I've seen that is  at all dangerous is that wild animals try to use your chicken nests, which can be dangerous if those wild animals are saltwater crocs. Be warned there will be a lot less metal though.
Memento Mori

Shakkara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 12:00:20 pm »

Lots of minor niggles, nothing gamebreaking that wasn't already in 31.16 *cough* military *cough*

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 12:03:59 pm »

I'd say wait and stick with 31.18 for your "real" projects, but get the new version and make a test fort or two to see the new features. I just started one, just a hole in the dirt to fiddle with the new stuff and get the hang of it, and I do believe the new animals and the associated industries plus ceramics will be sweet to play with "for real".

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 12:12:25 pm »

I'll be honest... if you plan on trying out this version, be prepared to be unable to find most of the shiny metal in the previous version. From what I've read, it's bad to the point your entire civilization may not have access to copper nor iron.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 01:11:26 pm »

Check out the new features! However don't go in to the game expecting to make a pyramid out of microline and gold megaproject, many of my non-goblin civilizations are dying off from lack of food. Aquifers are everywhere, and I haven't found a large cluster of stone or one nugget of metal besides a few veins bismuth in seven embarks.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 01:12:52 pm »

Which is not really a bug per se* but rather fixing the old "bug" of having far too much metal.  While it needs some minor tweeking I like it much more this way, the idea that tons of embark sites could easily get access to nearly all the steel they could ever need without any trading is just, IMO, absurd.  It also forces you to rely on other strategies for success then "Build lots of steel stuff -> win", you may have to get by without iron/steel for a couple of seasons (they also seem to have fixed the outrageous prices on some traded stuff, such as giant serrated discs) and make do with copper/bronze until you can get the funds up and trade for it.

ETA: I have only played two forts so far trying things out, I found a huge amount of copper in one but no other metals so far.

One other thing to get used to is the idea of larger animals having to graze now, so they need access to outdoor tiles (though eventually grass grows indoors, probably due to a bug) and if you have a lot you will need a lot of space and/or rotate pastures for them.  On the plus side the bug with underground soil has been fixed and you can now farm in it without having to irrigate first.

-MB

*There is a bug where the game doesn't take into account component metals (such that your civ may have access to steel but not to iron/pig iron)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 01:15:14 pm by Mickey Blue »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 02:07:54 pm »

This is an initial release.  Do play it, it's hilarious in so many ways and very fun, but don't take it seriously.  Make a few forts made entirely out of beehives, or a few super-nests that house several hundred blank chickens and several thousand eggs.  But, don't get mad when you realize how many issues there are, because it's incomplete and I think it was mostly released to give people something new to play with while the bugs and balance are still being worked on.

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 02:13:02 pm »

hey, does this update require a new gen or can I stay in the same world?
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 02:21:37 pm »

There have been many other changes. Seeing most of them will require generating a new world.

You may want to read the release notes, this was in the first paragraph.

-MB

Nooodz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2011, 02:45:49 pm »

Interesting... i've barely played an hour, but i agree that metal is MUCH harder to come by. In fact, in one embark i was puzzled as to the why i was taking a steel anvil, when i discovered the particular civ i chose had NO iron whatsoever. Only pig iron. Had to chose another civ.

But all the new features are amazingly fun so far. Ceramics is easier to produce than glass (because it needs no bags), we finally have an ample list of cheap animals, grazing make your herds more vulnerable... in the end i think it's worth a try, even before the bugfix.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2011, 03:04:14 pm »

I'm waiting on the "fence" construction type, that prevents movement but not sight, sorta like fortifications made weaker, so we can have for serious pastures.

Also, you can mod in a dummy reaction, like "Make Iron" which produces an iron ore (or bar) but isn't actually usable in the game, and allow your civilization to use it.  By default, a civ will use any metal it has a permitted reaction for, so if there's a reaction that produces hematite, even if it requires adamantine wafers and dragon's blood to produce it, hematite and therefore iron will appear in that civ.  This is how steel and pig iron are allowed for dwarves despite their lack of iron, because they're allowed reactions for steel and therefore are given steel automatically.

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2011, 03:15:33 pm »

I'm waiting on the "fence" construction type, that prevents movement but not sight, sorta like fortifications made weaker, so we can have for serious pastures.

you mean having the qualities of fortification except being a building?
i dont see anything wrong with fortification, after all it is dwarf fortress not human settlement.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2011, 03:19:43 pm »

I may try wall grates, if they can be set up like that.  I dunno, I like the idea of a proper fence.

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2011, 03:28:16 pm »

hum, so like bridge or paved road that cost less than one material per tile, while being considered as building?
but again, it wont worth much other than as early defence and decoration.

but it does make a farm real.
Pages: [1] 2 3