Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18

Author Topic: Craftsthunder, a 31.19-.21 Succession Fort [Strike the earth! Apply within.]  (Read 25002 times)

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
Re: Craftsthunder, a 31.19 Succession Fort [Strike the earth!]
« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2011, 01:43:31 am »

An ambush already? Did someone start collecting bees?

I suggest a carpet of blood-dyed cage traps to welcome the goblins to our fortress.

No bees, but lots of masterful statues and stuff.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2011, 03:00:48 am »

I suggest a carpet of blood-dyed cage traps to welcome the goblins to our fortress.

Ah. Lovely. -definitely going to carpet the map with cages...-

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2011, 10:00:29 am »

Trading for so much $$$ probably did it.

EvilFuzzy9

• Bay Watcher
  • The Uncommon Loon
    • View Profile
    • My Fanfiction.net Profile (Note: A lot of the information is outdated by virtue of the fact that I'm too lazy to change it)
« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2011, 10:35:34 am »

Ah, the no going into the pasture thing was probably my fault -- I'd undesignated our chattel from it so they could actually be sheared. And unless you reassign them to the pasture, they will simply go to meeting halls as animals are wont to do, which is why I didn't set up any meeting halls in my turn while at the same time making certain that every dorf had their own room where they could spend their off time safe from the elements and socializing. And I believe I did have an exclusively plant, seed, and drink stockpile next to the farms while at the same time forbidding those things from the embark-level food stockpiles, but I suppose I could have made a mistake in that...  :-[

WELL
, hopefully things will get stabilized during Agatharchides's [sic?] turn. ... speaking of which, I should probably pm him and let him know his turn has come.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 21, 2011, 10:42:52 am »

Downloading now. I should have a report by tonight or tomorrow evening.

EDIT: Is there a way to gt screencaps of just DF or do I have to do a screenshot? I always play in windowed mode and I am afraid things might be too small to see on a regular screenshot.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 11:43:25 am by agatharchides »
Memento Mori

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
« Reply #65 on: February 21, 2011, 11:43:28 am »

Ah, the no going into the pasture thing was probably my fault -- I'd undesignated our chattel from it so they could actually be sheared. And unless you reassign them to the pasture, they will simply go to meeting halls as animals are wont to do, which is why I didn't set up any meeting halls in my turn while at the same time making certain that every dorf had their own room where they could spend their off time safe from the elements and socializing. And I believe I did have an exclusively plant, seed, and drink stockpile next to the farms while at the same time forbidding those things from the embark-level food stockpiles, but I suppose I could have made a mistake in that...  :-[

WELL
, hopefully things will get stabilized during Agatharchides's [sic?] turn. ... speaking of which, I should probably pm him and let him know his turn has come.

Ahh so we need to assign animals to pasture? I haven't looked into that. So this is indeed why many starved.

There stockpiles for seed, plant and drinks.
It may have to do with the seed pile being full of seeds outside of bags.
In any case there was a stream of dwarves hauling food between the brewery and the entrance stockpile. I moved all the food and drinks except for seeds and plant, under the new dining room.
There are still some rocks around, but it is big enought still.

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
« Reply #66 on: February 21, 2011, 11:45:24 am »

Downloading now. I should have a report by tonight or tomorrow evening.

EDIT: Is there a way to gt screencaps of just DF or do I have to do a screenshot? I always play in windowed mode and I am afraid things might be too small to see on a regular screenshot.

You can use Alt + PrintScreen to capture only the active window, which would work well in windowed mode. I just used printscreen, pasted into Paint.NET, then selected the area I wanted and saved that as PNG. Also I like to use photobucket since most other image sites are blocked in my workplace.

Suggestions to the new overlord
- We now have two steel anvil, we could start shaping the military.
- We need more dedicated workshop/storage areas.
- We are short on bins.
- There should be a good 20 rooms mined out, but in need of a bed, door and cabinet. Some of these furnitures are already built
- If you solve the storage, then the corridor furniture stockpile could be removed.
- The latest crypt is almost finished. The coffins are already built (or should be) and only needs to be placed.

There are levers around. Each level is placed relatively close to what it is linked to.
There is one for the upper pool floodgates which should not be used, unless you want Fun.
There is one for the lower pool floodgates, in case you want to drain it.
There is one up there to stop the waterfall, if you really have to.
Then there are three together, one for each bridges.
They are like this:
L   L
  L
Same as the bridges.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 11:51:52 am by Valrandir »

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 21, 2011, 12:08:10 pm »

Thanks. :) I was a little worried about all the levers around the deathtrap waterfall. I've just looked over it and won't be able to start playing in earnest for a bit, but after I finished rationalizing the job assignments (we probably don't need 3 dabbling carpenters when we have an accomplished one) I'll probably focus on exploratory mining to see what metal we have, getting a halfway respectable defense up as I don't think 4 thick stonefall traps will do much and getting to farming something besides plump helmets. Maybe start trying to exploit the magma too but that might be overreaching a bit. We'll see how it goes.

EDIT: Oh, and Evilfuzzy, what exactly was the metal readout for this map? It looks like we might be in two biomes and I don't know which of them has shallow or deep metal. If you remember it will help me narrow down my search quite a bit.  :)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 12:49:33 pm by agatharchides »
Memento Mori

EvilFuzzy9

• Bay Watcher
  • The Uncommon Loon
    • View Profile
    • My Fanfiction.net Profile (Note: A lot of the information is outdated by virtue of the fact that I'm too lazy to change it)
« Reply #68 on: February 21, 2011, 12:49:52 pm »

Well, Valrandir, I just took a look at your save, and I must say I'm impressed with your waterfall, an I see you move the office I had given your dwarf.

To agatharchides:

[...] redorf me as that Onul person who made the millstone. I declare him my successor -- give him the nickname "EvilFuzzy II" and the job title "Masonic Lord".

Just reiterating my redorfing request, with the added request that EvilFuzzy II gets EvilFuzzy's old room, which currently is in the possession of some impudent peon named Dumat.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, you may want to remove Valrandir from the bookkeeping position if he tries to update the stocks, as they've done enough work to achieve the highest precision. Also, make notes on any and all levers indicating what they do out of courtesy to the next player.

EDIT: Updated OP turn list and added the above suggestion as a guideline.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 01:10:56 pm by EvilFuzzy9 »

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 21, 2011, 01:39:01 pm »

getting a halfway respectable defense up as I don't think 4 thick stonefall traps will do much

Cage traps catch everything. Well, almost everything, but they sure as heck work against goblins, which is our main problem at the moment.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
« Reply #70 on: February 21, 2011, 01:49:12 pm »

getting a halfway respectable defense up as I don't think 4 thick stonefall traps will do much

Cage traps catch everything. Well, almost everything, but they sure as heck work against goblins, which is our main problem at the moment.

Cage traps are very effective, but I hate them. They feels too much like an exploit.
Instead we could make a moat until we get decent weapon traps and a military.
An archery tower with marksdwarves shooting our bone refuse turned into arrows would also be fun and easy to setup.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 21, 2011, 02:09:38 pm »

Cage traps are very effective, but I hate them. They feels too much like an exploit.
Instead we could make a moat until we get decent weapon traps and a military.
An archery tower with marksdwarves shooting our bone refuse turned into arrows would also be fun and easy to setup.

Oooh, moats. That's w/o water, right? Since amphibious critters could swim through and the water's frozen most of the year and therefore useless anyway...

EvilFuzzy9

• Bay Watcher
  • The Uncommon Loon
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 21, 2011, 02:50:18 pm »

EDIT: Oh, and Evilfuzzy, what exactly was the metal readout for this map? It looks like we might be in two biomes and I don't know which of them has shallow or deep metal. If you remember it will help me narrow down my search quite a bit.  :)

Well, according to the embark map I am looking at, our fine Rigothamud is in three different biomes: and, well...

... oops?

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
« Reply #73 on: February 21, 2011, 03:18:05 pm »

Well, according to the embark map I am looking at, our fine Rigothamud is in three different biomes: and, well...

... oops?

The dwarves can dig mines all the way to each area, and haul it back in the fortress.
It is good to know where to look.
They could also go straight for the blue metal?

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 21, 2011, 04:19:12 pm »

I've redorfed Evilfuzzy and I'll see what I can do about defense, though with no metal, barely any wood and no fuel this will be interesting without cage traps or outright walling ourselves in. Thanks for the maps, that will save me a lot of futile digging.  :)
Memento Mori
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18