Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18

Author Topic: Craftsthunder, a 31.19-.21 Succession Fort [Strike the earth! Apply within.]  (Read 25009 times)

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Craftsthunder, a 31.19 Succession Fort [Strike the earth!]
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2011, 10:13:36 am »

I didn't think woodcutter would turn out to be one of the safer professions.  :P
Memento Mori

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2011, 10:28:13 am »

I'd like to join in please. My dorfing choice is for a mechanic and/or engineer if possible.

Oh and Valrandir, which tileset are you using? I don't think I've tried the one in your screenshot.

This is the Ironhand tileset.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=53180.msg1140176#msg1140176

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2011, 11:20:50 am »

Oh good, I'm not dead! Sorry to see the other named dorfs get drowned, but the peons can go back to hauling. No breaks unless you're dead and even then I'll need to see a note!!

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

EvilFuzzy9

• Bay Watcher
  • The Uncommon Loon
    • View Profile
    • My Fanfiction.net Profile (Note: A lot of the information is outdated by virtue of the fact that I'm too lazy to change it)
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2011, 02:54:20 pm »

ah hell. I didn't notice that I was one of the ones to die. Make sure to recover those leggings, and redorf me as that Onul person who made the millstone. I declare him my successor -- give him the nickname "EvilFuzzy II" and the job title "Masonic Lord".

EDIT: So the brook actually thaws out, then? Or are you using some other water source? 'Cuz I coulda sworn that brook had been frozen all year...
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 02:57:01 pm by EvilFuzzy9 »

Sirdrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2011, 03:12:12 pm »

you can walk over brooks my dwarfs do anyway

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2011, 04:03:09 pm »

So the brook actually thaws out, then? Or are you using some other water source? 'Cuz I coulda sworn that brook had been frozen all year...
Brooks have a permanent covering that dwarves can walk over. To make a brook an appropriate water source, you just need to channel a hole through it somewhere.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

EvilFuzzy9

• Bay Watcher
  • The Uncommon Loon
    • View Profile
    • My Fanfiction.net Profile (Note: A lot of the information is outdated by virtue of the fact that I'm too lazy to change it)
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2011, 04:08:08 pm »

I know that. I mean that I could have sworn that the brook itself, as in the layer beneath the surface, was frozen as least as late as late spring, and at least as early as early autumn. Which would give a very narrow margin of time during which it would actually be flowing.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2011, 04:11:54 pm »

I know that. I mean that I could have sworn that the brook itself, as in the layer beneath the surface, was frozen as least as late as late spring, and at least as early as early autumn. Which would give a very narrow margin of time during which it would actually be flowing.

O.o oh dear. Well I'm no help there then. -makes a note to spend a fair amount of turn stocking up on booze-

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2011, 06:39:06 pm »

Whens the next update, I want my turn!
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2011, 01:04:06 am »

I think Valrandir said he'd finish his turn Sunday evening.

Anyway, I need to be up in the morning, zzzz.

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2011, 05:31:02 pm »

I will post my save tonight.

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2011, 12:11:42 am »

The whole fort has been very busy lately. We had to create coffins and dig tombs for all the dead, clean up the lower pits of pink water (too much blood), and generally put back things in order.
Speaking of this, I just noticed why the alcohol production is so slow.
The Food stockpile is at the upper fortress entrance, while the plant and still are at the bottom, as far as they could possibly be.

This ends now, the food storage move in the new dining room.
And why are all the animals starting instead of going outside for  pasture?

17th Timber, 423
A dwarven caravan arrived. This time we should be good to trade since most of the crafts should already be in bins and quick to move. I’m moving to the Trade Depot to meet them. We need more drinks! I struggled to keep them above 15 all year long due to the stockpile locations. I want over 500 drinks ready. We’re going to brew this winter.

18th Timber, 423
We have SOO MANY socks and shoes from the waterfall victims; I’m definitely dumping these on the caravan. But with the hauling going on, we may be late to move it all. I’m going to halt all hauling except for that.

21th Timber, 423
Another Snatcher! Thanks god we have stone traps. The carpenter saw him just in time.

22th Timber, 423
And now my animals are starving to death.
“The Stray Ewe (Tame) has starved to death”.
Stupid animals, dying when we are too busy to butcher…
What a waste.

I would say that EvilFuzzy surely must have asked the liaison for the following last year.
  • Steel Bars
  • Cows (Awesome)
  • Dwarven Alcohol (Excellent)
  • BY THE ARMPITS OF ARMOR WE GOT TWO STEEL ANVILS”!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK!!!

I valued all our bone crafts and useless dirty clothes at 9858$.
Maybe we can trade everything.

What’s this???
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I’ve traded it all, the merchants made a profit of 1360$. They are happy!
And we still have lots of stone crafts if the elves show up again.

9th Moonstone, 423
The liaison has left.
I would like to secure our cows somehow so that they don’t starve.

Another artifact has been created by a Peon.
He is now a Legendary Wood Crafter but looks very Faint, I wonder if he will be ok.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

10th Moonstone, 423
I commander the latest cabinets and doors created by our masterful mason to be placed in some of the spare dug bedrooms, and had the rooms declared as bedrooms. Then next immigrant wave should find find some room, or at least some of them.

13th Moonstone, 423
He didn’t make it. Our legendary wood crafter succumbed to infection. And so did another Peon.
Dead animals are rotting in our meeting hall, FFS!
Nil Asenlashed is Pale and sleeping in his bed.

13th Moonstone, 423
Nil Asenlashed succumbed to infection.

23th Moonstone, 423
I’ve ordered the lower crypts to be sealed. This is now done.

7th Opal, 423
We now have 525 Drinks \o/

21th Opal, 423
The time has come to re-activate the lovely waterfall. Preparations and adjustments are complete and it should now be safe for use. I’ve ordered the level to be pulled.

SUCCESS! The water is no longer flowing pushing dwarves in the pit, and they are enjoying a lovely waterfall as they cross the main intersection, in the middle of the safe bridge.
This intersection is a platform in the middle of 3 bridges, which can be can be raised to ensure total fortress security. Also there are floodgates at the bottom for draining at will, as well as upper floodgates which should ALWAYS remain open to prevent the fortress from flowing and to regulate the water level.

3rd Obsidian, 423
The waterfall stopped, because that the broke froze : (.
It will resume next spring automatically and safely.

We need BAGS! Seeds are all everywhere.

8th Obsidian, 423
The miners found an expansive cavern deep underground, and A DEEP PIT OF DOOM.
The cavern is full of webs, underground trees and shurbs.Nothing hostile have been reported yet. I’m commanding the way to be sealed!
The cavern walls are of Schist stone. There are some gems around.

23rd Obsidian, 423
An Ambush has come!! CURSE THEM!!!!!!!
I SHALL SEAL THE FORTRESS!!!! YES YES

28rd Obsidian, 423
We are fine now. A marksdwarf took care of them it seems.
Nobody reported anything clear. I’m getting tired of this.

That’s enough.
Since I took command one year ago so many things occurred, I am satisfied now.
On this I retire to my quarters where I shall continue my bookkeeping and trading duties.
Ahh! there are still seeds everywhere. Three leaderworks have been built but no bags made.
The next ruler shall take care of this.
So shall it be.

Valrandir

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2011, 12:16:17 am »

This is the save, on the first day of year 424.
Enjoy  :D

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3828

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2011, 01:22:34 am »

An ambush already? Did someone start collecting bees?

I suggest a carpet of blood-dyed cage traps to welcome the goblins to our fortress.

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2011, 01:43:09 am »

It is now agatharchides's turn.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18