Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18

Author Topic: Craftsthunder, a 31.19-.21 Succession Fort [Strike the earth! Apply within.]  (Read 25008 times)

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Craftsthunder, a 31.19 Succession Fort [Strike the earth!]
« Reply #75 on: February 22, 2011, 12:31:24 am »

Captian's tablet, stonedate 424.0.0.0

Took temporary command of the fortress Craftsthunder. It is possessed of a spectacular waterfall, legendary dining facilities, lots of beds and and rudimentary farming and rock mug production, the staple of all dwarven foreign exchange. Rumor has it it they are used as currency in outside world, thus explaining their insatiable demand for these liquid-containing stone. We have almost no trees, and, more terrible for our dwarven honor, no sign of metal has yet been found.

We seem to have some cows that have been starving in their cages on the trade depot for Armok knows how long. I promptly order them to be sent to pasture, though one of the bulls dies before he can make it. While looking around and considering how to best improve on the row of 4 stonefall traps that seems to represent our only defense against the outside, I am suddenly notified that a cavy has died. While still wondering what exactly a cavy is, it becomes apparent that he is not the only casualty.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It seems the new and improved waterfall is still deadly. I think it is knocking people off the bridge and over the edge where they die. While it is a shame, I don't really feel like messing around with it and it seems to mysteriously cause the universe to slow down anyway, so I just shut it off.

My personal priority is getting the metal industry up and running. Accordingly, I start digging around in the southwest were metal is reportedly been sensed. Sure enough, our efforts are soon rewarded.

After this, it is mostly building. I find clay soil a little to the southwest of our foodstockpile, so I move the farms there so it isn't so far between the foodpile and the farms. I also set up the metal industry there since it is right over the magnetite and the soil makes stockpiles very efficient. I also start farming sweet pods so we can get alcohol diversity without having to count on imports.

We have lots of magnetite and a chalk mountain so the only real limiting factor for the metal industry is fuel. There is no coal here and only a few sparse trees in a corner of the map, much picked over for bins and barrels. My clear-cutting operations yield about 30 logs. The elves come and bring wood and cloth. The former is great for charcoal and I buy a few bins of cloth too in order to make bags. This isn't going to fuel much of a metal industry though, especially if we want anymore beds, bins or barrels, which I expect we shall. So, I resolve to go straight down to find the fiery blood of the deeps to power our forges and smelters.

I've barely started this when the armorsmith goes into a fey mood.  He grabs one of the steel bars the previous overseer bought from the last caravan, and gets to work.

At this point though, I am waiting for magma to start the metal industry in earnest as I want to conserve the 60ish logs I got from the map and elves. I am rather surprised when I slam into semi-molten rock only 50 z-levels down, way above where I though the magma sea would start.  Still, I guess I'm not exactly complaining.

I spend most of the summer setting up magma forges and making a lot of walls. I wall off a pasture for the animals so they will be safe from any attacks except from flying things.

I also wall off the brook entrance that has been our entrance and construct a staircase leading up. I used walls and drawbridge to create a natural moat and a reasonably safe terrace we can grow crops on or shoot from.   

And the archer catwalk above.

Magma forges

So far things seem to be going ok. We have a legendary armorsmith, a lot of steel and I am getting equipment for a squad together. I've streamlined food production a bit and might have started a cloth industry if we had an pigtails seeds or sheep left. I've got the cows pretty well set and with the farmer's workshop in the pasture milking is going smoothly. That waterfall is still way too dangerous to leave on, it took it about a day after the brook thawed to kill a couple of dwarves and a pet. I've never done anything like that so I'm just leaving it off for now, future rulers can mess around if they want. I gave myself and both previous rulers platinum coffins in our tombs and I may play with furniture since charcoal is the real bottleneck in steel production. I've played a bit farther I can write tonight as I am getting really sleepy so it's about mid-fall. If I forgot anything important please feel free to ask.  :)
Memento Mori

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 22, 2011, 02:41:05 am »

Magma? Whoohoo!  :D :D :D

And yeah, waterfalls may be fun but they're also Fun and murder on the framerate.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
« Reply #77 on: February 22, 2011, 08:10:19 am »

Great update

EvilFuzzy9

• Bay Watcher
  • The Uncommon Loon
    • View Profile
    • My Fanfiction.net Profile (Note: A lot of the information is outdated by virtue of the fact that I'm too lazy to change it)
« Reply #78 on: February 22, 2011, 10:50:27 am »

And the Valrandir's waterfall claims even more lives.  :P

But seriously, the present design is a freaking death trap. Personally, I would suggest that a future overseer build walls along side the bridges, perhaps interspersed with floors so one can install wall grates for extra drainage.

In addition, holy cow, we might actually have a decent steel industry if someone decided to breach-then-seal-off the caverns to set up a subterranean tree farm, as well as requesting wood, charcoal, coke, and unrefined coal (if available) from the liaison to maximize our potential steel industry.

P.S. Two pairs of artifact leggings in three years. Nice. I suggest giving the steel ones to our militia commander best melee fighter and the leather ones to our best archer.

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
« Reply #79 on: February 22, 2011, 11:03:26 am »

The deadly lovely waterfall can indeed be dangerous at times.
It was my first attempt, and much could be improved.
The center tile was originally a statue and there was no grates at all, causing it to cause many casualities in only a few moments of being activated. Adding the grates helped. The middle grate was supposed to make it 100% safe, but right under it is the stone pillar supporting the structure and blocking the waterflow.

Dwarves are always falling down from the north side of the waterfall platform. All other sides have bridges that keeps them from falling that way. Adding 3 floor grates on the north side shoud make it safe, giving dwarves one more tile to move before falling, and letting the water drain there instead of pushing further.

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
« Reply #80 on: February 22, 2011, 11:04:26 am »

There is little wood on this map, but is there clay? Could we make a tons of "clay barrel" instead of using the wood?
Can clay furnaces be powered by magma?

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 22, 2011, 01:22:00 pm »

At the start of autumn, things are going swimmingly. My carefully hoarded wood is being made into charcoal, chalk and iron are being forged into masterwork and exceptional armor in the flaming blood of the earth by our +5 legendary armorsmith. A lesser but still competent weaponsmith cranks out swords, axes and parts for steel weapons traps. A moderately skilled bowyer and carpenter goes into a fey mood and starts demanding silk cloth in addition to the wood and gems already claimed at the carpenters. Unwilling to sacrifice a potential legendary carpenter, I look around and cautiously allow the cavern to be raided for silk.

It goes well with nothing nasty or evil popping out at us and he starts work. Then.

It isn't very glorious, but the first of two groups is on the bridge before it retracts, so I see no alternative but locking the doors until they go away or the steel production gets enough together to start a squad. Unfortunately, I never got around to moving the carpenters inside, so the moody dwarf is ruthlessly shot down from above, along with a woodcutter who was going to nail a couple of trees I had just noticed I missed. My timing is impeccable.  The livestock are also wiped out to a beast.

It is at about this time we run out of wood. With steel production grinding to a halt for potentially a season until the caravan comes, I decide to risk breaking into the cavern again a trying to rope up 30-40 logs, which I figure should be enough. I also have doors set up which should hold against anything but a forgotten beast or troll, if worse comes to worst. I also have a couple of soldiers worth of steel.

It goes pretty well at first, but eventually I am spammed with talk about everything being interrupted by a giant toad. Now, I had gone through the units list and there was only a single giant toad on it, quite a long way away. My first instinct was that the dwarves had just caught sight of it somehow in the twisty cavern and so I looked around to try to figure out where they were seeing him and have them go cut wood somewhere else.  When people besides woodcutters had the problem I looked more widely and there was a giant toad not on the units list sitting in the central stairway  :P

Well, ok. We have a some steel weapons and is just a giant soft-skinned amphibian. Can't be that hard. I draft the migrants with best weapons skills, only have it presented to me that the weapons are at the bottom of the stairway and the soldiers at the top. Yeah. I sort of moved the weapons stockpile, armor, bar stockpile and a custom one for chalk and magnetite to a room just above the magma forges so that the smelters and smiths could work as efficiently as possible.

That's great. So they are punching it and it is chasing people up and down the stairs and toad and dwarf blood is everywhere. Finally I decide the draft the only people left with weapons ready to hand after my woodcutter got mowed down, the miners. Into the fray they go and soon the giant toad is slain. No dwarves are actually slain in the affray but the mechanic I had put on mechanisms and gotten several levels had a broken arm, two miners had broken legs and a random peon has another limb broken. I am down to only one reasonably skilled miner, which will make magnetite mining slow as I don't want to waste the precious iron ore by having novice miners carve it up. I set up a hospital where the old armor stockpile was, but with crossbow goblins camped outside I can't get water.

So, I turn on the waterfall. Last time the reservoir was 7/7 before anyone got hurt, so I am hoping I can get it running long enough to rig a well over it and save our wounded.

Not so much. I lost 2 more dwarves before it was 2/7. I shut it off. It is only then that I realize I can break open the floor and put a well over the plumbing which leads water to the waterfall. Sorry you guys who drowned, your leader is a ninnyhammer.  At least the wounded have a shot now though.  :P

Sometime during all this another migrant wave show up. They have been turning up in groups of 5-8 all year, none of them with particularly valuable skills. We have 4 level 10+ fish dissectors though, as well as a few master fish cleaners. I think the mountain homes are participating in some sort of watery genocide... The goblins chased them down and killed them, but somehow a miner manages to get himself close to the gate and away from the foe, so I let him in. He'll actually be pretty valuable now that our mining corps was gutted by that stupid amphibian and we need skilled miners to collect magnetite. I do get the wood and steel production up again though.

Eventually, the goblins give up and the caravan shows up. I buy all the wood, replace some of the slaughtered livestock with 3 cows and bull it brings and pick up some random metals. I also grab some cheap leather and cloth in case we need bags or get a mood or whatever. Only 1 steel bar but that hardly matters now. I buy it with the mechanisms I have been mass-producing for practice and, rather disturbingly, the clothes of dead dwarves drown by the waterfall in my time or my predecessors. I wonder if this will hurt our chances of getting migrants 'come to craftsthunder, lovely waterfall, lots of booze, lots of rock, excellent prospects of employment in the, er, textile industry. Yeah, that's the ticket'  :P

That pretty much brings you up to speed on how far I have played. I've now got 4 dwarves worth of armor in high quality steel, head to toe and weapons for rather more. I also have half a dozen weapon trap parts of steel. I'll probably throw out some leather cloaks for them over the winter. I may wall off both sides of the brook canyon to stop them from shooting down at use again, and I'll try to have a few weapons traps over the entrance before my turn is up. We can pretty much produce as much steel as we have fuel for, though it does take a lot of manpower to move the magnetite and chalk from the odd corners of the map to the magma area. I probably could have placed that better tbh, I just put it under the central staircase already dug for me. If you dug down to magma below the magnetite and set up there it would be more efficient, but that will have to be someone else's project.

As far as clay barrels go, yes we have clay and in theory it should work for non-liquids. If we want to glaze them we need ash or cassiterite. I don't think we have the latter, though I never found the deep metal under the flux unless it is the hornblende I kept hitting.  Unfortunately, from my understanding they are bugged atm so that if they are taken to a stockpile they will be ignored and if taken from the workshop directly they hold infinite stuff so I've been avoiding them.

That's everything I can remember for now. It just turned winter so I'll try to get this finished up tonight or maybe tomorrow.
Memento Mori

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
« Reply #82 on: February 22, 2011, 01:39:39 pm »

This is epic  :)
Great Update.

If you only needed to fill the reservoir, you should have raised the bridges by activating the three triangle levers, and then activated the waterfall.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 22, 2011, 07:16:28 pm »

The last season of my tenure in command of this place has arrived. I am starting to suspect Valrandir is in league with the goblins. First he puts a death-trap in the main hall.

And then this.

Fortunately by now this is someone else's problem Hopefully he doesn't kill the legendary armorsmith.

A woodcrafter suddenly goes crazy and grabs a craftdwarfs workshop. After considerable preparation and using a couple of precious logs, he creates

Did you really need two logs for that? We do now have a legendary woodcutter, though honestly iron is less valuable than wood right now.

Most of the rest of the time is spent setting up defenses in preparation for the next attack. Traps are set, armor made and weapons forged so my successor will have access to a powerful defensive force when the goblins try to attack. A snatcher bloods one of them to little effect. It turns out, however, we need not wait long for a serious test. After their last reasonably successful raid the goblins have return a mere few months later. Three days before I am to hand over the reins, they show up. To arms! All men to the front!

Oh. Nevermind.

Winter has been mostly a repeat of summer. Much steel was smelted and a 3x3 of weapon traps with 3 steel weapon components apiece was erected along the only entryway. I also set up a repeating spike trap over the brook to make falling into the moat somewhat dangerous rather than an easy way into the fort though it is only about half done. Under the brook I dug out a hallway linking the pasture and main base with the ultimate idea that we could make it the only way in and include a drowning trap, though I didn't really have time to take that anywhere. I have got full armor for 4 dwarves and gauntlets, helms and shoes for more though the body armor still needs to be made. We also have 3 crossbows and fair number of steel bolts.  I left 15 steel bars in inventory for my successor and a lot of iron but no charcoal. I have leather cloaks, quivers and waterskins in production but they aren't done quite yet. I went through all the caravan brought in half a season. The way to the cavern is still open though locked up and trapped and I raided it a few times for more wood, though we are running out of stuff in easy reach.

The only thing I really did on the economic front was the shove a field in the pasture so we can eventually grow strawberries or something. We generally have lots of dwarven wine, but getting enough variety has been dicey even with the sweet pods and imports. The elves brought a barrel of whip wine, we might be able to score some seeds from them in the future. From the dwarven caravan I ordered lots of wood, coke and charcoal. They don't have raw coal. I ordered barrels as well so we won't have to make them. The only other things I requested were sheep for less grass costly milk as well as wool and some gold, silver and emeralds in case future rulers want to decorate with something besides platinum and rock crystal. One of the miners seems to be better so we are ok on that front I think. Oh, and I managed to get every dwarf a bedroom despite the thirst of the furnaces, though I sort of screwed up the room size.  :P

I prettied up my quarters with some platinum and a tame leopard the elves brought as well as smoothing the dining room, most of the bedrooms and crypt. That's about it on the decorative front.

The furniture stockpile is a mess that I never got around to and obviously there is the waterfall. All the levers I could figure out are labeled. I have a decent steel industry, military and traps. The next ruler should find the steel forges set up though idle for lack of charcoal, a reasonably complete defensive work though more traps would be good and a couple of goblins bleeding out on the front steps. So without further ado, I present you the save.  :D

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3836

EDIT One other reasonably important thing I forgot to note is that I changed the titles of a lot of lower-class people. Most of them have titles indicating what their main job is if any. I let peon off a lot of them especially when applying my custom DT professions like smelter so it isn't very neat anymore, but it should be obvious at a glance what a given dwarf is good for.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 08:34:57 pm by agatharchides »
Memento Mori

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 22, 2011, 08:13:32 pm »

I guess its my turn. It will be up sometime this week (If I can get it working :P)

Edit: Didn't look at what happened recently, I like jumping into blind situations.

Edit2: Save won't work, keep getting this:
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 08:21:04 pm by Johnfalcon99977 »
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 22, 2011, 08:35:38 pm »

Yeah, the site crashed when I was uploading and something got borked up. I've uploaded it again and it should be good now.

And I guess there goes my painstaking effort in making sure the next ruler is up to speed.  :P Oh well, honestly it is all pretty self-evident.
Memento Mori

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 23, 2011, 04:21:31 am »

Ahahahahaha

Oh dear god.

-edits trap plans with furious scribblings of 'DO NOT USE ONLY CAGE TRAPS'-

Do not taunt happy fun goblin.

(Yeah, don't mind me, just got my cage traps overloaded in my pet fort and lost 8 dwarves to a gobbo siege that would. not. stop. Except that it did just as things were looking grimmest... but anyway.)

Properly on topic: Yay steel!

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
« Reply #87 on: February 23, 2011, 03:20:56 pm »

So without further ado, I present you the save.  :D

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3836

Great year, you truly deserve your platinum quarters  8).

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 23, 2011, 03:34:40 pm »

Platinum quarters would be an exaggeration, I gave myself 7 pieces of platinum furniture and the former rulers one apiece. I'd meant to put some platinum statues in your rooms but then the whole toad thing happened and I saved for the night and I sort of forgot. There is plenty left for future rulers to play with though. 

But thanks. Hopefully we have a better chance against gobbos now.
Memento Mori

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
« Reply #89 on: February 23, 2011, 03:42:26 pm »

On the next year, I suggest these projects:
- Find adamantine for the mandate.
- An hospital
- A bath
- Smoothing everything
- Luxury barracks
- All peons are put into squads, scheduled for half the squad to train and half to do nothing (so we have haulers)
- An above ground catacomb tower complex with an underground water moat entrance (Must use all the stones).
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18