Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Mafia- It's where the flavor is! Discussion thread.  (Read 8775 times)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia- It's where the flavor is! Discussion thread.
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2011, 01:48:47 pm »

Blocking a redirecter works in my games.

Now, telling people who killed them isn't much of a problem, so long as there is no way for someone to come back to life or talk to the dead.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2011, 01:49:27 pm »

but the block wasn't originally intended for the redirector, as per my diagram
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2011, 01:50:56 pm »

It's walking a line, as Meph and Web pointed out.  I did a fair bit of flavor for BMXVI(I)?, Mafia Salad, and Kingmaker 3.  Roguelike Mafia I'm planning will need to be done very carefully, since there are so many redirects.

The most important point is to be internally consistent.  Ask yourself these questions:

Will people know if they were blocked if they didn't have a night action?
Will doctors know if their target was attacked?
Will roleblockers know if they prevented an action?
If a player is killed, will that player find out the result of his action?
If a player is both attacked and protected, will they know?
If a player is redirected, will they know?

Do this for every role you have.  Once you have that squared away, you can write flavor that fits your own rules.  The answers themselves matter less than you being consistent with them.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2011, 04:00:56 pm »

I really, really enjoy flavor.

Actually, I mostly enjoy writing flavor.  This may be because I usually get compliments on my flavor.  And Leafsnail, BMIX did indeed finish, and I went back to complete all of the missing flavor, including night PMs.

In any case, I feel like there's certainly a balance between mechanics and flavor.  If your mechanics are heavily engaging, then you don't need to pull the audience as much with flavor.  If they're vanilla, then having something to differentiate your game is helpful--and you're less likely to give away crucial information via flavor.

I usually think about settings that I, personally, find funny or otherwise appealing.  Pretty odd to say this as someone who has run only one game, but I do think about running another one fairly frequently...

Meh.  In any case, I feel like flavor should really be icing on the cake.  Don't do flavor unless you have everything else really under control, and all that.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2011, 04:04:51 pm »

Vector raises a good point- the fewer roles, the better suited the game is to flavor.  It's possible to pull off in a role crazy game, but it's not as needed.  Look at Web's BYOR games- the day start/end posts are flavorful, but the night PMs are not.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2011, 12:04:08 am »

Vector raises a good point- the fewer roles, the better suited the game is to flavor.  It's possible to pull off in a role crazy game, but it's not as needed.  Look at Web's BYOR games- the day start/end posts are flavorful, but the night PMs are not.
The night PMs are strictly as non-flavorful as I can possibly make them.

I make the roles using a template and describe their actions as clearly as I can, so they ask less questions. Making PM flavor is tough and rather time/soul consuming, so I don't. I do enjoy the Day/Night post flavor, though.

SaintDraze

• Bay Watcher
  • "Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2011, 12:37:28 am »

I wonder if there is a way to make a game too flavorful...
Perhaps everytime A vote tally Is taken something flavor related happens..That Kind of game would no doubt be balls too the walls insane!
XD

Think of a kingmaker game where there is a chance of the king being switched off every vote tally or announcement...
The only flavor I think that would even fit it is Schizophrenia Kind of flavor, where the game is being held in the the mind of a multi personality crazy person...
The king would be whatever personality that is in control...

HAHAHAHa! that would be bat shit crazy
wouldn't you agree?

Draze McNoble Demands bacon flavored bacon...Made of bacon.

He puts an embargo on all waffle based goods

Book

• Bay Watcher
  • The Situation being: you ain't confoosed, yo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2011, 12:50:16 am »

I wonder if there is a way to make a game too flavorful...
Perhaps everytime A vote tally Is taken something flavor related happens..That Kind of game would no doubt be balls too the walls insane!

Look for Vector's BM (BMIX, I think); that was packed to the rafters. Also Meph linked to a game in another forum recently in the threshold thread that was roleplaying throughout. All players were flavourful.

There's another, which I forget at the moment, but someone will mention, where the flavour invoked a roll-to-dodge mechanic, so everyone was taking chances and making weird flavourful plays. Finally, GG's QuickBastard II was almost completely devoid of Mod flavour (the players killed the mod), but the players made a decent effort to provide their own. All these were endless fun.

The Notable Games thread is your friend.
Quote from: Toaster
Daykill Book is the new Vengekill Pandarsenic.
The ability to travel through time and space is insignificant next to the power of flavor.

"G.T.L. baby: Gym, Tanning, Laundry." -- The Situation

webadict is, by far, the coolest person ever. There is no way I could ever be cooler than webadict.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2011, 12:52:26 am »

Yeah, BMIX had flavor with every votecount.

So did Rysith's Semi-Bastard mod.

Take a look.  They were both some of the best games run on here in terms of flavor (in my opinion).  Something you might want to examine if you're actually interested in this topic.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

SaintDraze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2011, 12:57:15 am »

Yes SIR!

Saint draze said with a salute as he made his bacony way to the notable games archive

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2011, 01:11:05 am »

Good to hear it, Private Draze.

I look forward to your report.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2011, 10:20:29 am »

Yes SIR!

Saint draze said with a salute as he made his bacony way to the notable games archive
Makin' a bacony way sounds bad.

SaintDraze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2011, 03:16:06 pm »

It's traveling though the use of copious amounts a bacon flavored bacon to create enough awesome To rip reality asunder, So as too make it as If you just got to where you needed to go before you decided you wanted to go there...

It's all detailed in Georgios bacon&Relevancy course for bacon lovers...

Duh! ::)

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2011, 03:52:07 am »

Dakarian's NSBM had some rather fun flavor.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2011, 10:50:20 am »

My opinion of what is to much flavor is less of a
matter of amount and more of a matter of control.
If you let the flavor take control of the game then
that is when there is to much. If you need a page
for all of your flavor that is fine but when you get
to the point where it is affecting the game outside
the bounds of the rules then its a problem. Let the
game affect the flavor not the other way around.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5