Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Pokemon  (Read 6803 times)

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
Re: Pokemon
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2011, 11:21:48 am »

Jreengus : Precisely. Also the fact that the art style has improved / become more cartoony and contrived (person you ask depending) makes each generation feel a bit different to the last.

Freeformschooler : Yeah, there's alot of nostalgia for the old stuff. I'm willing to agree with that. I played Red, and enjoyed Firered too. I then played Sapphire, and that took a little while to get used to, but that was also cool when it got down to it. I've tried playing Platinum and... Well... I haven't managed to really enjoy it yet. I've just beaten the third gym and I'm still feeling a bit... Disappointed.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2011, 08:09:07 pm »

Ultimately the problem with new pokemon is that the series has been going so long that people are going to complain no matter what you do.
And ironically I look forward to them rehashing Pokemon Sapphire, as they inevitably will.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2011, 08:28:57 pm »

Ultimately the problem with new pokemon is that the series has been going so long that people are going to complain no matter what you do.
And ironically I look forward to them rehashing Pokemon Sapphire, as they inevitably will.
Oh god I just realized this.
A creature the size of europe can occupy only one tile.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2011, 08:38:26 pm »

Jreengus : Precisely. Also the fact that the art style has improved / become more cartoony and contrived (person you ask depending) makes each generation feel a bit different to the last.

Freeformschooler : Yeah, there's alot of nostalgia for the old stuff. I'm willing to agree with that. I played Red, and enjoyed Firered too. I then played Sapphire, and that took a little while to get used to, but that was also cool when it got down to it. I've tried playing Platinum and... Well... I haven't managed to really enjoy it yet. I've just beaten the third gym and I'm still feeling a bit... Disappointed.

Same boat. I warmed up to third gen pretty quickly though.
But the first two gens will always be special.

Third gen getting a rehash seems so... WEIRD to me. Feels like yesterday it was just released.
Then again, it feels like yesterday I was playing Crystal too.

Deadbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2011, 09:11:27 pm »

I started at the start.

Pokemon Red and a Gameboy Color. I played the crap out of that game, and Blue. It was beyond fun.

The rehashes were awesome. I nostalgia'd and was awed by how far they had come all at the same time. They did good with Red, Blue, Gold, and Silver the first time, and the second time they used what they had to the fullest extent and created amazing games. I was a major fan of Ruby and Sapphire, logged over 200 hours on Ruby alone. D&P were nice upgrades, and admittedly a first-time foray into the technology of the DS. They could have done so much more with it, and they did in HeartGold and SoulSilver. It's a shame that my DS is dying rapidly at this point, and I've had to cannibalize parts of another DS to keep it going. I am seriously thinking of getting a DSlite to play Black and White on. Both games are looking amazingly beautiful and deep at this point, and I am loving the more natural look of the pokemon this time around.
Quote from: chmod
SEX AND HAPPINESS NOW REPORTING CORRECTLY!

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2011, 09:26:29 pm »

I Played Red and Gold but never finished either of them, because i was horrible at evenly training my Pokemon and was intimidated by the Elite 4 (I was a kid). The first game I finished was sapphire, and I think I did that with an Action Replay. The first game I beat completely legitimately was Fire Red (If you don't count the gamecube games.).
A creature the size of europe can occupy only one tile.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2011, 09:33:16 pm »

I was terrible at training pokemon, too. I always end up with a single high level fighter and 5 'utility' pokemon.

I did slightly better at avoiding this in Sapphire, but only because I decided to prioritise a captured Shroomish over my Torchic, making my rival somewhat easier to beat.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2011, 09:45:59 pm »

I always raise six Pokemon evenly...  which the game doesn't do much to accommodate for.  The new triple battles, more frequent double battles, and the wild double battles should make it easier.  But my evenly leveled team usually gets walloped...

Right now, before Black comes out, I'm doing an all bug run of SS.  Butterfree and Scizor are my MVPs, with Beedrill's Toxic Spikes being very helpful too.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2011, 10:03:37 pm »

My main guys in Sapphire were a Breloom and a Blaziken. I trained a Walrein up to beat the Dragon guy and got a Salamence when I found out where I could find them, but my mains were always the Breloom and Blaziken.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2011, 10:05:50 pm »

I always raise six Pokemon evenly...  which the game doesn't do much to accommodate for.  The new triple battles, more frequent double battles, and the wild double battles should make it easier.  But my evenly leveled team usually gets walloped...

Right now, before Black comes out, I'm doing an all bug run of SS.  Butterfree and Scizor are my MVPs, with Beedrill's Toxic Spikes being very helpful too.

Get a shukcle and stall em out, or forretress to spike and wall.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2011, 10:07:46 pm »

I usually have a team of mons that look decent, and have personalities that suits the looks.
And I refuse to have silly-looking things in my main team.
But that's just me.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 22, 2011, 10:10:50 pm »

I usually have a team of mons that look decent, and have personalities that suits the looks.
But that's just me.

MVP

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 22, 2011, 10:13:03 pm »

But that's just me.

MVP

:o  >:( Get back into the box where you belong!

With that said, I only have the silly ones to fill up the dex.  :)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 10:15:49 pm by Ultimuh »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 22, 2011, 10:55:56 pm »

As far as I'm concerned, any Pokemon that aren't your starter are just decoration.  Yeah, the rival's a bitch if you play like that but honestly if you're older than 10 and not playing Nuzlocke Pokemon is kind of a joke difficulty-wise.
Shoes...

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 22, 2011, 11:03:35 pm »

I still have a lot of fun training my Pokes and getting over difficult challenges.  Yellow Version was the bomb because I trained that damn Pikachu to be the best there ever was.  You have any idea how hard it is to make a Pikachu do ANYTHING*?  xD

*without holding a lightball, as that would double all offensive stats.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8