Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Pokemon  (Read 6799 times)

atomicwinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pokemon
« on: February 17, 2011, 08:41:17 pm »

Who doesn't remember Pokemon?

I remember when I was 6, I got my first game boy and Pokemon blue version. I use to play all day and night, link up with the kids at school and trade and battle.

When did you get your first Pokemon game?

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
Re: Pokemon
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 08:44:28 pm »

If we count spinoffs, then my first was pokemon pinball when I was in.... either grade school or preschool.

My first proper pokemon game was gold, which I unintentionally completed as a Nuzlocke run with regards to pokedeath. (I'd watched my dad play Rogue so often i thought permadeath was a standard feature of games)
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 09:20:03 pm »

My first was an inherited (From an older friend who was 'too old for POKEMANZ') Pokemon Blue, which I played to death on the GameBoy Colour he gave me with it. This was probably about 11 years ago, certainly before the second set of them came out.

I was in either year 3 or year 4 (English school system), 7 or 8 years old at the time. I thought it was awesome.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 09:50:01 pm »

Um...I got a rom about a year or two ago.

I was too old for it when it first came out.  But, two of my recently-married friends first met on a Pokemon roleplaying newsgroup like nine years ago, so whatever...
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 09:51:51 pm »

I always thought Pokemon was gay and only got into last year... I'm a Sophomore, so I was 15 at the time...
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 09:56:48 pm »

I'm a Sophomore
Which explains the language!
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Fanofgaming

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 10:07:14 pm »

I'm pretty sure my first Pokemon game was Red, but it -might- have been blue. I was playing that game when I was 5, I think. It was fun, but I'm just not diggin' the concept anymore.
"I love quoting myself!" - Fanofgaming

alexwazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 10:22:43 pm »

When did you get your first Pokemon game?

I can't remember the exact year, but I got my first, and only, pokemon game in 1999/2000 or something like that. I was around 17-18 years old  :o

I got into it because I bought gameboys for my little brother and sisters (around 7 and 10 years old respectively) and a different game for each: red for my brother*, blue for sister* and yellow for myself.

I never got into the other generations.

This kinda makes me feel old... yet childish. I dont care about the former and fully assume the latter :P

* I gave my brother the red version and my sister the blue as a way to say "Fuck the world and its stereotypes!" Aww, I miss those days where I considered a single seemingly meaningless action important.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 10:28:21 pm »

Heh, I remember Pokemon Silver (or maybe it was Blue)was my first handheld game, back when I was still young. It was bewildering to me. Probably the reason I have game boy color nostalgia -- there was a certain charm to it.

I played Pokemon for some time until I got older and then started playing other games.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 10:38:32 pm »

Whoa. Is it 1996 again?

Seriously though, I did have some fun with my tacky little yellow version when I was younger.
I can't get into it anymore no matter how much I try and milk the whole nostalgia thing. Guess I grew up ... or killed that part of me who liked it with booze. Who knows?

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 10:41:31 pm »

Started with blue. Still playing, it help when your prospect is a finished fan. Ladys love them Pokemanz

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 11:16:47 pm »

Pokemon came out when I was in my mid-twenties I think. Never played it, and the cartoon looks sooo horrible. I just dont get it, do you have to have enjoyed it as a yungin to enjoy the whole thing?
I got nothing

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 11:35:57 pm »

When I was in my childhood years I read an article in, I believe it was nintendo power, but possibly some other gaming magazine about a game called pocket monsters that was becoming a huge hit in Japan. I went to every game store in town, looking for a copy of it, not realizing that they didn't localize every game that came out. Every time I went into a store for years I would look in the game boy section for the game to no avail. Then, around the time I was in middle school, maybe 12 years old or so, I heard that a game called Pokemon was coming out. This instantly got my attention and I read everything I could about it and within the first week I had a copy. Red. I played it day and night, staying up too late very often. Never really traded much, but found a few people willing to. I finally got to the final four. Never finished it. Yellow came out. Bought that, played for a long time. Didn't get quite as far. Then silver came out. I loved silver, but by that time I'd gotten a bit burnt out on it. It wasn't until Ruby on the GBA that I got into it again, mostly at the behest of friends, finally finding a good group of gamers in high school. But by this time most of the magic was lost. The game was the same every time. I haven't touched another game of it since. I feel they've just driven the concept into the ground.

Pokemon formed a good portion of my childhood memories, but with the exception of cameo roles in things like Super Smash Bros. I don't really care to see them anymore.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2011, 02:16:40 am »

When I was a kid I got kinda swept up in it, First played Pokemon Yellow (Pikachu following your ass around) Still have that old gameboy colour around here somewhere...Good Times.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2011, 02:31:49 am »

Red version for me. I saved up for months and bought it along with a Gameboy Pocket with my own money.

I did that thing in it. That thing you're supposed to do?

I caught them all.

Then I restarted and beat the entire game including the Elite 4 using only Bug types. It was glorious. Monster-raising games are one of my favourite genres, forever.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8