Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: animals get hungry  (Read 10989 times)

Sarudak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: animals get hungry
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2011, 10:40:08 pm »

Ok so it looks like animals like dogs and crundles and whatnot still don't need to eat though

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2011, 12:07:00 am »

Animals in cages do need to eat. Apparently dwarves don't feed them either as I have a lot of idlers. Now if we could just make cats grazers.  :o
Memento Mori

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2011, 12:10:59 am »

Add the grazer tag!  Also, there was something mentioned about making animal grain in future releases, so expect to see "grass collection zones" for harvesting feed bushels, or something.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2011, 11:38:02 am »

That explains why my 2 water buffalo are starving in the same amount of space that feeds 3 horses...  I'll need to give them more space.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2011, 11:50:59 am »

I don't know if animals produce different amount of milk, but if as I suspect they don't then goats and sheep look like good value for space. You can have 10 of them for the grazing room of a single cow, and sheep give wool into the bargain.
Memento Mori

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2011, 11:58:06 am »

I'm postponing a "true" update but I peeked into the new version with a test fort anyway, and I must say this is sweet. The only thing I'm worried about now is a population explosion for grazers since they can't be kept in cages anymore. I suppose I should get used to slaughtering the buggers as soon as they're born. But grazers actually needing to graze, a bunch of new domestics, wool, eggs, beekeeping, clay -- those are really awesome new features. I look forward to making a "proper" fort with them when some issues are fixed. :)

Thanks for the numbers, too.

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2011, 12:07:10 pm »

I don't know if animals produce different amount of milk, but if as I suspect they don't then goats and sheep look like good value for space. You can have 10 of them for the grazing room of a single cow, and sheep give wool into the bargain.

They've almost always been the better animal in real life as well, with some exceptions.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

EvilFuzzy9

• Bay Watcher
  • The Uncommon Loon
    • View Profile
    • My Fanfiction.net Profile (Note: A lot of the information is outdated by virtue of the fact that I'm too lazy to change it)
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2011, 12:12:39 pm »

Though they tend to graze right down to the roots, which kills the grass.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2011, 12:13:59 pm »

Pets need to graze, but can't be assigned to pasture. This leads to the mass starvation of pet lambs and baby alpacas T_T
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2011, 12:26:42 pm »

So animals won't graze unless assigned to a pasture? That sounds iffy. Pets and other non-pastured beasties should be able to find their own spots for feeding.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2011, 12:54:24 pm »

They will snatch up grass when they pass over it following their master.  But if that master is say, a metalsmith who never has any reason to go anyplace that has grass, the pet eventually starves.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2011, 01:13:08 pm »

It's beginning to look to me like grass doesn't actually grow back -- It's only been about a year and a half, but my first pasture land is completely bare.  Should I just wait, or is there a distant time in the future when my meat industry ceases to be viable?
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2011, 01:14:23 pm »

I am pretty sure it does since grass is growing all over my forts floor.
Memento Mori

The_Fool76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2011, 01:20:41 pm »

I've actually taken to rotating between four pastures so that each one has a chance to recover.
(Just like real farming, woo!)
Tis far better to be a witty fool than a foolish wit.

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2011, 01:21:57 pm »

What the FRACK, there is no way a PIG eats a tenth as much as a cow, unless it['s a modern vareity that gets fed ultrahigh nutrition to produce 25 litres of milk a day, no medieval cow could possibly match that...
and if that is the case with the high food consumption of the dairy animals, yak, buffalo, cow etc... how does a horse eat almost as much but a goat eats vastly less?

I don't know about the pigs, but goats are pretty well known to be able to graze on land that isn't fit for cattle.  In fact, aren't they responsible for a lot of desert?

I think the assumption is that pigs will forrage on stuff other than grass (basically anything organic) so they don't need as much GRASS as cattle.

Does anyone know if turkeys, chickens etc. need grass?  Also do animals need water?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5