Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: animals get hungry  (Read 10990 times)

noob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
animals get hungry
« on: February 17, 2011, 08:08:00 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
now how do i feed them
LOSING IS FUN!

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: animals get hungry
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 08:09:26 pm »

You will have to set a pasture zone. Press i, place the zone and let them do their thing. :)
Memento Mori

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 08:12:29 pm »

You will have to set a pasture zone. Press i, place the zone and let them do their thing. :)

Should pastures have grass?

noob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 08:13:38 pm »

will they eat the weeds that keep growing on my clay?
LOSING IS FUN!

Icee77

• Bay Watcher
  • I gave dogs [CAN_LEARN]. What have I DONE?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 08:14:01 pm »

They eat grass, and maybe weeds.

noob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 08:19:48 pm »

oh he had some sand on his mouth. he ate after i dumped him in the aquifer
LOSING IS FUN!

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 08:29:41 pm »

Be warned that yaks eat a huge amount.  One of mine starved to death in a pen with three rabbits which were doing fine.  I slaughtered the other one, which was also starving, before it could die, because no one would butcher the one that died already.  I wasn't very happy to lose my breeding pair of yaks.

In the raws, food consumption is as follows.  This is the value of [GRAZER], which seems to increase with decreasing need for food.  Yaks are second worst only to water buffalo.

Rabbit: 120000
Cavy: 75000
Goat: 1200
Sheep: 1200
Pig: 1000
Alpaca: 857
Reindeer: 461
Llama: 333
Donkey: 200
Mule: 150
Horse: 120
Cow: 100
Yak: 85
Water Buffalo: 60

There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 08:31:54 pm »

It appears to be like speed.  It determines how often they eat.  Notably, yaks eat very often, while rabbits eat infrequently.  Use water bufallo for clearing clay zones!

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 09:16:41 pm »

Be warned that yaks eat a huge amount.  One of mine starved to death in a pen with three rabbits which were doing fine.  I slaughtered the other one, which was also starving, before it could die, because no one would butcher the one that died already.  I wasn't very happy to lose my breeding pair of yaks.

In the raws, food consumption is as follows.  This is the value of [GRAZER], which seems to increase with decreasing need for food.  Yaks are second worst only to water buffalo.

Rabbit: 120000
Cavy: 75000
Goat: 1200
Sheep: 1200
Pig: 1000
Alpaca: 857
Reindeer: 461
Llama: 333
Donkey: 200
Mule: 150
Horse: 120
Cow: 100
Yak: 85
Water Buffalo: 60

What the FRACK, there is no way a PIG eats a tenth as much as a cow, unless it['s a modern vareity that gets fed ultrahigh nutrition to produce 25 litres of milk a day, no medieval cow could possibly match that...
and if that is the case with the high food consumption of the dairy animals, yak, buffalo, cow etc... how does a horse eat almost as much but a goat eats vastly less?
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 09:37:17 pm »

What the FRACK, there is no way a PIG eats a tenth as much as a cow, unless it['s a modern vareity that gets fed ultrahigh nutrition to produce 25 litres of milk a day, no medieval cow could possibly match that...
and if that is the case with the high food consumption of the dairy animals, yak, buffalo, cow etc... how does a horse eat almost as much but a goat eats vastly less?

I don't know about the pigs, but goats are pretty well known to be able to graze on land that isn't fit for cattle.  In fact, aren't they responsible for a lot of desert?
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 09:46:58 pm »

a quick google tells me a lactating goat needs about 5 pounds of feed to a horses 15-25...
actually thats pretty close... and what i've found with cows it seems a cow making 20 litres of milk needs about as much as a lactation horse of the same weight... so i'll just shut my face :P
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 09:56:13 pm »

Has anyone tested if they still eat in cages?
Memento Mori

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 10:08:47 pm »

For those that haven't experienced it yet ... if you don't put the grazers in a pasture in time, they can still starve.  I lost my horse, then my water buffalo this way, and it isn't even mid-summer of the first year yet.

The Animal stockpile has an option to dump animals out of cages now, so if they do need to eat while in cages then this is probably the easiest way to get them all out at once.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, 10:10:25 pm »

I have rabbits I can sacrifice for !!science!!. I have four embark points, I said. Let's try a couple of bunnies, they can't do that much harm, I said. *grumble mumble rumble*  ;)
Memento Mori

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2011, 10:37:55 pm »

The Animal stockpile has an option to dump animals out of cages now, so if they do need to eat while in cages then this is probably the easiest way to get them all out at once.

I can see a horrible start of dwarfs carrying goblin cages past the lines of traps, the lava flood, and the maze of corridors to the inner sanctum of your fort only to let them free.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5