Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: On the Frequency of Migration Waves.  (Read 989 times)

Polar_Atom

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Cancels Life: Dwarf Fortress
    • View Profile
On the Frequency of Migration Waves.
« on: February 17, 2011, 05:32:57 pm »

I'm disliking the incredibly prompt early migrant waves I receive from (I assume) the Mountain-homes. I don't need an Thresher or Blacksmith literally minutes after arriving, its ridiculous.

I wonder, if having my civilisation of choice farther away from me will change this, or if there's anyway to mod these wave to come later.

This forum post menaces with spikes of humour.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: On the Frequency of Migration Waves.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 05:49:54 pm »

DF\data\init\d_init.txt

[POPULATION_CAP:0]

This will result in two waves of migrants, and then no more.  The first two waves are hard-coded and will arrive regardless, but the size of the wave depends on your created wealth.  You can change this to a more bearable limit like 20 or 50, or you can change it at any point.  Migration waves will resume as soon as you close the game, edit the d_init, and restart the game.

Carrock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 06:12:24 pm »

The early first-year ones are fine - much needed extra hands. It's the first one in the second year that usually kills me, swamping my fortress with twice as many dwarves as were already in it. It's often enough to make me give up on a fort, and constant tweaking of the d_init file always feels a bit like cheating.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 06:18:07 pm »

d_init tweaking is just a government mandate, in this case.  It's the exact same as if you sent a letter to the mountainhomes saying "Nah, we're good, borders are closed".  Same with the child limit, exact same as if the expedition leader said "Ok, we're short on food, so let's um, keep our spores in check."

Polar_Atom

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Cancels Life: Dwarf Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 06:19:10 pm »

The early first-year ones are fine - much needed extra hands. It's the first one in the second year that usually kills me, swamping my fortress with twice as many dwarves as were already in it. It's often enough to make me give up on a fort, and constant tweaking of the d_init file always feels a bit like cheating.

Its not cheating, its losing with style!
This forum post menaces with spikes of humour.